Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » JLT CAI and Smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: JLT CAI and Smog
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I managed to get the Cobra smogged this weekend but not before I went through some JLT headaches.

The first shop said they would not smog it because of the JLT CAI (the only non oem part on my car). I told them no problem and that I would swap the stock tube and come back. I come back 30min later with the stock intake tube installed. They tell me that they don't feel comfortable smogging my car. I told them it was a 100% stock car. They still turned me away! Mind you, this was after wasting 90+ minutes sitting around there and waiting for them to smog cars that arrived before me.

I drove down the street and got it smogged without any problems at the next nearest shop. I was not aware that the JLT did not carry a carb number however.

It's strange (and bureaucratic) that they would have a problem with an air tube, but I'll remember that for next time. Vent done...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
I managed to get the Cobra smogged this weekend but not before I went through some JLT headaches.

The first shop said they would not smog it because of the JLT CAI (the only non oem part on my car). I told them no problem and that I would swap the stock tube and come back. I come back 30min later with the stock intake tube installed. They tell me that they don't feel comfortable smogging my car. I told them it was a 100% stock car. They still turned me away! Mind you, this was after wasting 90+ minutes sitting around there and waiting for them to smog cars that arrived before me.

I drove down the street and got it smogged without any problems at the next nearest shop. I was not aware that the JLT did not carry a carb number however.

It's strange (and bureaucratic) that they would have a problem with an air tube, but I'll remember that for next time. Vent done...

your lucky luke i would smog your car an fail it for your cold air intake with out a problem.if you think there may be a problem smoging your car with aftermarket parts remove them befoe you smog it
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea no carb number is a instant fail on visual and we would have tO smog it and fail you also because as soon as we do a workorder we ar required to do the smog legally suck but it's our job
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Your lucky. If they were following how they are supposed to do it you would have gotten smoged and failed.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is why i got rid of my fox. smog is a bitch

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I certainly don't blame any smog tech who is following a procedure that the state of CA set forth. However, sometimes I forget how rediculous and rigid some of the rules are.

Sure, you modify the engine or exhaust, I can understand there being a problem, but an air intake tube is excessive imho. They have to draw the line somewhere however, and that line seems to be just before the first mod to avoid all confusion.

Makes me wonder why the JLT intake does not carry a carb#... Is it purely logistical, or is there a technical reason that I may be overlooking?

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I certainly don't blame any smog tech who is following a procedure that the state of CA set forth. However, sometimes I forget how rediculous and rigid some of the rules are.

Sure, you modify the engine or exhaust, I can understand there being a problem, but an air intake tube is excessive imho. They have to draw the line somewhere however, and that line seems to be just before the first mod to avoid all confusion.

Makes me wonder why the JLT intake does not carry a carb#... Is it purely logistical, or is there a technical reason that I may be overlooking?

jlt has to pay crab to get a eo number
LETHL 03
¯
Member # 5401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LETHL 03  Ford pictures for LETHL 03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car passed smog with the JLT on there [Wink]

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman LQ9SN95

Hard Head Muscle
#HHM #babydickcobra #lethl03

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wasnt sposed to but i guess the tech let it slide i do sometimes but i would hate to have it come back on me then i have to pay a fine and get a citation just because i let someone slide so i tr no to take chances
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the point of smog tests?

To keep the air clean for our kids, the forests, our lungs, blah blah blah.

So why does a visual even matter? If the car is clean out the tailpipe then who the phuck cares if it has a blower, a stroker or a stinking cold air kit? I hate smog laws. CARB numbers only exist to allow the state to make money off of the aftermarket manufacturers who have to pay through the nose to get exemptions. And I guess that I am pissed because BOTH of my cars require smogs. My next will be pre'65.

TubeSteakJohnson
¯
Member # 8967

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for TubeSteakJohnson  Ford pictures for TubeSteakJohnson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DAM THAT CRAB [Mad]

--------------------
--FREE BEER--

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

i completely agree with you bout that but as a tech i have to follow the rules mostly because 90 percent of ppls citations are on visual and timing checks
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you smog techs are a buch of wussies, I give you 200 bucks, you smog no questions asked. its not like they could shut you down cause i'm not five o and I would never tell anybody except for everybody on cafords.com!
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.killcarb.org

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com