Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » DMV REGISTRATION QUESTION??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: DMV REGISTRATION QUESTION??
91blackstallion
¯
Member # 9989

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackstallion  Ford pictures for 91blackstallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HAVE A 1985 COUPE THAT HAS BEEN SITTING ON MY GODFATHERS BACK YARD FOR 9 YEARS, MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH WOULD BE TO REGISTER THE CAR UNDER MY NAME SINCE IT WAS UNDER MY GODFATHERS SINCE DAY ONE WHEN HE BOUGHT IT OFF THE DEALERSHIP AND WOULD I HAVE TO PAY ALL THE LATE FEES? ALSO WOULD I NEED TO SMOG 2?
Posts: 409 | From: in da heavens | Registered: May 2010  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would need a smog and you would have to pay the fees

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can call the DMV with the VIN and plate number,
Telephone: 1-800-777-0133

Tell them what you're looking to do and they can estimate the fees for you.

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
91blackstallion
¯
Member # 9989

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackstallion  Ford pictures for 91blackstallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MY GODFATHER TOLD ME IT WAS LOGD IN AS A NON OPP AND THE FEES WOULD BE $0 AND THE RECORD OF THE CAR GOT DELETED OFF THE DMV IS THAT POSSIBLE I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE IF WHAT HE SAYS IS TRUE OR NOT.THANKS
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
9 Years wow it not even in the system anymore. I don't think back fees will be a problem [Wink]

[ July 15, 2010, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: 94 N.C.F. GT ]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OH2QUIK:
MY GODFATHER TOLD ME IT WAS LOGD IN AS A NON OPP AND THE FEES WOULD BE $0 AND THE RECORD OF THE CAR GOT DELETED OFF THE DMV IS THAT POSSIBLE I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE IF WHAT HE SAYS IS TRUE OR NOT.THANKS

Yes he is rite

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM

91blackstallion
¯
Member # 9989

YEA HE HAD IT IN HIS BACK YARD FOR 9 YEARS AND NEVER DROVE IT EVER SINCE.HE BOUGHT IT OFF THE DEALERSHIP BRAND NEW. NOW HE IS GIVING IT TO ME.THANKS FOR THE INFO
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

How does it look from siting so long post some pics of car and interior

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM

91blackstallion
¯
Member # 9989

SURE WILL I MIGHT GO PICK IT UP TODAY ITS IN SALINAS THO
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u mite have to bring it to the dmv so it can be id
if its out the computer and fees u gota ask them call the number and have the vin and or plate# ready and ask away [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought it was 10 yrs then the record gets deleted?

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tel them it was a gift from your grandfather just pay to have vin verified then just pay a small fee to register and since it was a gift from family member it is smog exempt no need for smog they will give you the tags If they say you do need a smog tell them you want to speak to a supervisor

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gifts i believe will be taxed on blue book value
not that its much i would just put my fav car price $50 or less [Wink]

[ July 15, 2010, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: gercolla1 ]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't tell them it was your god father tell them your grandfather gave to you and if it's been on non op no need for vin verification

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

No they don't tax on bluebook value they will ask you what its worth you say it's worth nothing or say $100 they will tax you on that

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

91blackstallion
¯
Member # 9989

o ok thanks for the info i sure will say that or should i just say a family member sold it to me for $100.
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL. So much WRONG information in this thread.

DMV has a 4 year retention period for vehicle records. Not all vehicles get deleted after that period of time however. Trust me I have seen it

IF the vehicle was on Non-op AND still in the DMV system then all you will need to pay is the current year reg fees. If the vehicle is still on record and wasn't on PNO then you will be responisble for the last 3 years reg penalites. That is all you are required to pay according to the statute of limitations.

You WILL need to smog the vehicle before you get tags/plates. 85 is not a smog exempt year. Smog is also always due upon transfer or registration renewal of a vehicle that has been on Planned Non-Operation (PNO).

You can list the car as a gift from a family member. But be aware if you list the value at 500 bucks your insurance company will look at the value stated to DMV if its ever totalled.

Stop asking questions without any info and call DMV with the VIN number so you know what your starting point is.

1-800-777-0133

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

A family member gave me a car. Is a smog inspection required?
If you acquire a vehicle that is currently registered in California from a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, you are entitled to an exemption from the smog inspection. Other family members or relations are not exempt and are required to obtain a smog inspection certification.

For more information read "Transfer a Vehicle Between Family Members
straight from DMV

[ July 16, 2010, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
If you acquire a vehicle that is currently registered in California from a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, you are entitled to an exemption from the smog inspection.

ONLY if its currently registered

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
If you acquire a vehicle that is currently registered in California from a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, you are entitled to an exemption from the smog inspection.

ONLY if its currently registered
yea what he said

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com