Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Oakland Police Layoff's (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oakland Police Layoff's
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cagedblackgt:
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Its very sad what is about to happen there. My folks will be one of the ones getting laid off and he is one of the cops there the actually cares. This happened in NOLA the year we was the murder capitol. And it went bananas after that. Crime is about to be off the hook is Oakland if this happens. But what they did try in NOLA was making cops walk the beat and even live in areas they police. It worked for a while but then the cops became the big drug dealers..lol.

Oakland needs police reform IMO.

the first on that needs to go is the mayor of Oakland. He has set a great example by not paying his taxes. [BS flag] Crime if it is down, is about to go up..... Special task units like CRT are going to be gone. That means no sting operations meaning more drugs and prostitution. [Frown] they will cut all he special units other then swat.
All the cop haters are going to have a field day in Oakland. Officers moral is going to be down. The future doesn't look to good for Oakland.

Don't know if you read the complete story but they had a deal to save all the police officers jobs, but the police union didn't want to take the pay cuts.
Incorrect, the OakPD was asked to pay 9% of their pay into the pension accounts. The Police Officer Uninion wanted a 3 (which even went down to 1) year guarantee of no layoffs if they did this as ht 9% was supposed to fix the police budget.

City council said FU, we wont lay any of you off until November.

City council fucked that one up, not the police.

incorrect again, The police union refused the one year no layoffs deal.

"The sticking point was over job security. The Oakland Police Officers Association said it would give concessions and contribute 9 percent of their salaries to their pensions only if the city guaranteed a three-year moratorium on layoffs."

http://cbs5.com/local/Oakland.loses.nearly.2.1805474.html

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

What I found interesting was

#1) $188,000 Annual total of salary and benefits per officer

#2) Btw the average police officer in the United states makes $55,000.

ok... coming from a municipal worker... and i have worked for 2 cities in michigan and also the westlands water district in central cali.

#1... that figure seems way high, typically benefits account for 50-70% of the wage , so making it simple a base pay of 60k would be about a 90k bill for the city if the benefit package was worth 50% it is NEVER double that i can assure you. retirement and med is CONSTANTLY being cut and changes made to the new hires to keep current pay and benefits the same.

#2..... that number is WAAAAAY low

you need to look at the hierarchy of pay. typically it takes 5 years to reach max pay and sometimes 10 years. usually starting wage it 75% of top scale. and troy MI police make about 65k

you cant count overtime and other premium pay such as motorcycle duty (there are higher clothing allowance etc for special jobs) and overtime is overtime. if peeps are needed for OT then there is lack of personnel. PERIOD !!!!

i agree cops are a bit overpaid, but my scale is about 50k here in michigan, and the requrements are pretty much a high school diploma. old skool pension is out long ago... current standards are a 401A, that we put in 5% and the city hits it with 10%

med in retirement is good for 4% per every year you worked

and yes... layoffs are imminent

we just lost 7 from our dpw of a total 90

next fiscal year 10 more... then 33 after that

hope these b!tche$ arent looking for the snow to plowed from the entire city in 24 hours like we currently promise. ?????????
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude your a cop in Oakland you should be paid like crazy! If everyone has a problem with how much cops get paid, go on some ride alongs and see what happens. They are in shit 24/7 and risking their lives daily. 100k isnt really that much money for what they do, an the high stress level of having to worry about loss of life or job daily.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cops shoulda took pay cuts to save some jobs ... My job rite now is on the line because the Police and FD didnt want to cut people

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
Dude your a cop in Oakland you should be paid like crazy! If everyone has a problem with how much cops get paid, go on some ride alongs and see what happens. They are in shit 24/7 and risking their lives daily. 100k isnt really that much money for what they do, an the high stress level of having to worry about loss of life or job daily.

your right on
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I must say public opinion is the most discouraging thing you can hear especially with how mis informed the public really is.

I work my ass off on a daily basis and along the way I have lost everything from meaningful relationships to friendships because it simply takes so much out of me. I have a ton of responsibilities I don't regret anything and wouldn't change what I do for the world. Just wish people would understand it better.

As far as pay is concerned I'm not gonna lie I make a decent living but compared to some other people and based on wat they do living in the same area it's very competitive and until you do the job you don't fully understand what it requires from you.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
...but I can say is what keeps me going is that I am fair in my decisions and give people the benifit of the doubt I don't fuck over people for the same shit I am guilty for etc etc

I have never arrested or cited someone that didn't merit it nor have I ever used excessive force on anyone but I have of course I've been thru several internal affair investigations all have been exonorated because they were simply bs.

[ July 16, 2010, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
quote:

ok... coming from a municipal worker... and i have worked for 2 cities in michigan and also the westlands water district in central cali.

#1... that figure seems way high, typically benefits account for 50-70% of the wage , so making it simple a base pay of 60k would be about a 90k bill for the city if the benefit package was worth 50% it is NEVER double that i can assure you. retirement and med is CONSTANTLY being cut and changes made to the new hires to keep current pay and benefits the same.

you need to look at the hierarchy of pay. typically it takes 5 years to reach max pay and sometimes 10 years. usually starting wage it 75% of top scale. and troy MI police make about 65k

you cant count overtime and other premium pay such as motorcycle duty (there are higher clothing allowance etc for special jobs) and overtime is overtime. if peeps are needed for OT then there is lack of personnel. PERIOD !!!!

i agree cops are a bit overpaid, but my scale is about 50k here in michigan, and the requrements are pretty much a high school diploma. old skool pension is out long ago... current standards are a 401A, that we put in 5% and the city hits it with 10%

hope these b!tche$ arent looking for the snow to plowed from the entire city in 24 hours like we currently promise. ?????????
[Roll Eyes]

http://www.opdjobs.com/salaries-and-benefits.asp

Starting pay ranges from $71,841 to $90,549 plus benefits. So I don't know have my numbers are way off.

If the safety of the people were their top priority then they would of taken the pay cut and saved the jobs of their co-workers.

To Fostang I respect a police with your thinking.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Starting pay ranges from $71,841 to $90,549 plus benefits. So I don't know have my numbers are way off.

If the safety of the people were their top priority then they would of taken the pay cut and saved the jobs of their co-workers.

I voted for the pay cut and we were able to save 20 positions at my department because of it. Well at least till the next budget meeting in dec. I couldn't live with myself if I would have been selfish and voted againts taking a cut when other jobs are taking the cut and some are even losing their employment. We are in a recession together.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

I agree the economy is hard for everyone atm and the effect of it reaches everywhere. Again, Oakland's police department takes up about 80% of Oakland's budget and of course the city would look towards it to save some money in a down economy

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I agree the economy is hard for everyone atm and the effect of it reaches everywhere. Again, Oakland's police department takes up about 80% of Oakland's budget and of course the city would look towards it to save some money in a down economy

High Crime, High Drug rates = more police officers needs hence the large part of the budget. If there werent so many fucking idiots in that shithole youwould have this issue.

Livermore, where I live, shit we dont have this problem...why? We dont have a bunch of ignorant fucks who dont understnad they cant do whatever the fuck they want living here.

Oakland needs to crack down on the fucking idiots there, they need to profile more, and if people act out of line, the hammer needs to come down.

Then and only then will the self righteous assholes who live there and tarnish the Oakland name, stop doing what they are doing.

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

Mustang Girl
Member # 10144

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustang Girl  Ford pictures for Mustang Girl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

High Crime, High Drug rates = more police officers needs hence the large part of the budget. If there werent so many fucking idiots in that shithole youwould have this issue.

Livermore, where I live, shit we dont have this problem...why? We dont have a bunch of ignorant fucks who dont understnad they cant do whatever the fuck they want living here.

Oakland needs to crack down on the fucking idiots there, they need to profile more, and if people act out of line, the hammer needs to come down.

Then and only then will the self righteous assholes who live there and tarnish the Oakland name, stop doing what they are doing.

word!!
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
quote:

From 2009 but very relevantin response to drug use.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/10/opinion/10blow.html

Oakland might be where drug dealers reside but it's not where the drug users live

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

I voted for the pay cut and we were able to save 20 positions at my department because of it. Well at least till the next budget meeting in dec. I couldn't live with myself if I would have been selfish and voted againts taking a cut when other jobs are taking the cut and some are even losing their employment. We are in a recession together.
Thats along the lines of what i was thinking about the situation. And please don't take this the wrong way but if and when another oakland cop goes down in the line of fire i wouldn't want to hear or see the other oakland cops crying about it cause them not helping there so called "brothers" save there jobs was probably part of the reason.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a pretty good point 86-50 [patriot]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86- 50:
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Thats along the lines of what i was thinking about the situation. And please don't take this the wrong way but if and when another oakland cop goes down in the line of fire i wouldn't want to hear or see the other oakland cops crying about it cause them not helping there so called "brothers" save there jobs was probably part of the reason.
Can you possibly be serious here?? You think that a cop getting hurt/killed in Oakland has to do with the numbers of officers patrolling at a specific time? How about the citizens of Oakland (who necessitate such a high level of baby-sitting) take some responsibility for their actions?

Here's the way I see it: Everyone comes down on the cops for not taking pay cuts - hell, I agree cutting back a little to save jobs is necessary at times. However, what's it going to take for the people who live in Oakland/similar areas to decide "enough is enough"??

I remember a couple years ago, I was trying like crazy to get hired as as paramedic in Oakland - the pay is good, the calls are "good," and you're always busy (!). Just like fire, just like police - the pay has be good to entice someone to work in that setting, as you risk a whole lot more than working in Burlingame/Corte Madera/etc, right?

I hope people get tired of all this and maybe turn the corner toward a more productive and possibly peaceful Oakland.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you serious? Of course an officer getting hurt could have a lot to do with the amount of back up he has or don't have.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Are you serious? Of course an officer getting hurt could have a lot to do with the amount of back up he has or don't have.

I agree the more officers the more backup, and the streets are a little safer for the police. But tell me this. Your boss calls you into his office and says that he fucked up and spent to much money and the company is hurting and has to lay some people off unless you take a 10% pay cut. Why should the cops suffer when all those idiots cant make a fucking budget, and there are way to many people up top that can still have the fat trimmed. Its bull shit, and gives them a reason to do it again next time. You have to hold firm, because you know as well as everyone else knows they will be hiring new officers shortly after the layoffs. Why? Because that city cant control itself with the headcount they already have.

[ July 16, 2010, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Camara90 ]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
quote:

I agree the more officers the more backup, and the streets are a little safer for the police. But tell me this. Your boss calls you into his office and says that he fucked up and spent to much money and the company is hurting and has to lay some people off unless you take a 10% pay cut. Why should the cops suffer when all those idiots cant make a fucking budget, and there are way to many people up top that can still have the fat trimmed. Its bull shit, and gives them a reason to do it again next time. You have to hold firm, because you know as well as everyone else knows they will be hiring new officers shortly after the layoffs. Why? Because that city cant control itself with the headcount they already have.
I think you fail to realize the Oakland Police department is the City's budget (80$ of it) If the value of properties go down, which it has by about %50. the city gross income is also reduce by a great amount. Budget us based on projected income not actual income .

My solution to reduce crime by at least 50% in Oakland ; legalize weed. Then arrest anyone else you se selling any of the more sever drugs.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Home prices are down on 30% from their all-time high, with the last 5 years being only 19%. Big difference from 50%. Property values

Edit: 72% of the budget goes to Fire and Police. That is ALL programs, not just uniformed personnel.

Legalize weed? You think THAT is the problem with Oakland? I'd dare say 75% of the cops out there could care less about weed. Not to mention it's a PITA to arrest/process/etc someone who has barely enough to roll one. Hard core druggies, Murderers, Thieves, etc...they are the problem. And I assure you, they live there..they don't go to Oakland to deal or do it.

Problem with Oakland is Oakland. Once the residents decide to take back their city from the dipshits/clowns/etc that have run it into the ground, then and only then will things change. The Police Dept there, like nearly everywhere in Cali, has their hands tied by the Liberal Bureaucrats AKA Tree Huggin'/love everyone/please don't hurt them society that runs that State. PEOPLE aka Citizens, not the Police Dept, are the ones that need to FIX Oakland. The ONLY way for the Police to fix it is if they walk the entire city crackin' skulls...and that ain't gonna happen.

Spare me. A real Community would reach out and handle their own shit...

[ July 16, 2010, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"Problem with Oakland is Oakland. Once the residents decide to take back their city from the dipshits/clowns/etc that have run it into the ground, then and only then will things change. The Police Dept there, like nearly everywhere in Cali, has their hands tied by the Liberal Bureaucrats AKA Tree Huggin'/love everyone/please don't hurt them society that runs that State. PEOPLE aka Citizens, not the Police Dept, are the ones that need to FIX Oakland. The ONLY way for the Police to fix it is if they walk the entire city crackin' skulls...and that ain't gonna happen. " -john b-

^ Thats 100% on the money right there. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Home prices are down on 30% from their all-time high, with the last 5 years being only 19%. Big difference from 50%. Property values

Edit: 72% of the budget goes to Fire and Police. That is ALL programs, not just uniformed personnel.

Legalize weed? You think THAT is the problem with Oakland? I'd dare say 75% of the cops out there could care less about weed. Not to mention it's a PITA to arrest/process/etc someone who has barely enough to roll one. Hard core druggies, Murderers, Thieves, etc...they are the problem. And I assure you, they live there..they don't go to Oakland to deal or do it.

Problem with Oakland is Oakland. Once the residents decide to take back their city from the dipshits/clowns/etc that have run it into the ground, then and only then will things change. The Police Dept there, like nearly everywhere in Cali, has their hands tied by the Liberal Bureaucrats AKA Tree Huggin'/love everyone/please don't hurt them society that runs that State. PEOPLE aka Citizens, not the Police Dept, are the ones that need to FIX Oakland. The ONLY way for the Police to fix it is if they walk the entire city crackin' skulls...and that ain't gonna happen.

Spare me. A real Community would reach out and handle their own shit...

I don't think your post addressed the layoffs, just my post about hmoe values and weed in oakland. Would like to know your ideas on saving those jobs.

First here's the home prices in Oakland based on low/middle/ and high end properties.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_HIGHEND0907_20090728.html

As you can see from the chart, oakland low end market dropped 64%, it's mid levels homes dropped 46%.

The majority of Oakland violet crimes are surrounded around drugs and retaliation. The majority of the drug pushers, push marijuana. Take away the demand for it, make some money by taxing it and it will prodcue revenue for the state to close the budget. Doing this will also take away the majority of the crims associated with it. BTW I haven't smoked weed in about 10 years, so I'm not speaking from a favored opinion position.

For the past 15 years, throwing money at the police department in Oakland hasn't changed the crime rate there, need new ideas not the "just give me more money" mentality

[ July 16, 2010, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: 306Coupe ]

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this post is aimed at alstock and crew, why do you guys say dont believe what the news and the media say, but 306 quotes what the news is saying and you believe it?

not starting a fight brotha just curious

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, I addressed all main points you attempted to validate, hense negating the topic. Departments will do what they gotta do. Hell, 27 of those positions being potentially laid off weren't even occupied.

It's a moot point about taxing/legalizing it...as it's on the ballot for this year...so why bother to bring it up?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com