Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Oakland Police Layoff's (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oakland Police Layoff's
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some people know that the Oakland Police department has to layoff 77 police officers. here's the story

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/12/BA3A1EDACT.DTL

What I found interesting was

"776 Number of officers on the Oakland police force before any layoffs

$188,000 Annual total of salary and benefits per officer

$407 million Oakland's general fund budget for current fiscal year (down $69 million since 2005)"

Btw the average police officer in the United states makes $55,000. And Oakland City Budget is about 580 million per year

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is probably going to incite another 10 page cafords bashing of law enforcement lol, let me be the first to say no officer on the street is seeing $188K they included benefits traning equipment etc etc damn shame they lay off people in a city that needs help, my dept has lost a ton of officer's the last 2 years its F'n sad!
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fstryde3:
This is probably going to incite another 10 page cafords bashing of law enforcement lol, let me be the first to say no officer on the street is seeing $188K they included benefits traning equipment etc etc damn shame they lay off people in a city that needs help, my dept has lost a ton of officer's the last 2 years its F'n sad!

Just was stating the budget report of per officer pay and benefits. 188k per is pretty damn expensive.

From the OPD website " Starting salaries are among the highest in the state - over $70k + rich benefits package"

http://www.opdjobs.com/

[ July 15, 2010, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: 306Coupe ]

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
quote:

Just was stating the budget report of per officer pay and benefits. 188k per is pretty damn expensive.

From the OPD website " Starting salaries are among the highest in the state - over $70k + rich benefits package"

Yeah and you gotta patrol Oakland LOL only person I feel worse for is an LAPD colleague.
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah and you gotta patrol Oakland LOL only person I feel worse for is an LAPD colleague.
I actually think there is a huge policy issue going on in the Oakland police department. Here is what I believe will help the city of Oakland and the police department. In the past 15 years the number of police officers has increased by 3 times the amount. The amount of crime has slowly increase. My theory is police need to walk the beat and get to know the community. POlice are not trusted in the community and only appears after a crime is commited. If police officers familiarize themselves with the people in the community and are more visualible it will reduce crime. It will also gain the trust of the people in the community and will increase the co-operations with the people. Currently when you call the police 3-5 police cars show up 3-5 hours after you call the police. Oakland police tend to always have back-up regardsless of the severity of the call

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Although I am all for community policing walking the beats etc the fact is the dept. has had a hiring freeze for a while,776 officers does not mean 776 patrol officers, and even if it was that is 776 for 409,186 citizens. And backup you ever been on a code 3 call you'd hope you had some backup too, thanks.

[ July 15, 2010, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Although I am all for community policing walking the beats etc the fact is the dep.t has had a hiring freeze for a while,776 officers does not mean 776 patrol officers, and even if it was that is 776 for 409,186 citizens. And backup you ever been on a code 3 call you'd hope you had some backup too, thanks.

I had a code 3 (lights a siren) and it took 4 hours. A police pulled someone over across the street from where I was, I crossed the street and told him I had called the police an hour before, he told me I needed to wait, finished giving the guy a ticket and took off.

BTW Oakland has 1.91 officers per every 1,000 residents while the city your a police in has 1.43. Point in saying that I don't believe the city crime level decreases for every police officer it has. Responding to crimes do not reduce crimes

Also a city cannot be ran when the police takes up about 80% of it's budget

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
quote:
Although I am all for community policing walking the beats etc the fact is the dep.t has had a hiring freeze for a while,776 officers does not mean 776 patrol officers, and even if it was that is 776 for 409,186 citizens. And backup you ever been on a code 3 call you'd hope you had some backup too, thanks.

I had a code 3 (lights a siren) and it took 4 hours. A police pulled someone over across the street from where I was, I crossed the street and told him I had called the police an hour before, he told me I needed to wait, finished giving the guy a ticket and took off.

BTW Oakland has 1.91 officers per every 1,000 residents while the city your a police in has 1.43. Point in saying that I don't believe the city crime level decreases for every police officer it has. Responding to crimes do not reduce crimes

Look man I'm not trying to argue with you here I was working 12 hours shifts and i'm jsut trying to enjoy my Hennessey, but those numbers are way off and nowhere near what we have on the street not even close! Every city, every department is going to have issues I don't deny that but unless you have put on a badge and a vest you have no idea from reading numbers on a website. And yes I chose this line of work no excuses.

[ July 15, 2010, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
quote:
quote:

Look man I'm not trying to argue with you here I was working 12 hours shifts and i'm jsut trying to enjoy my Hennessey, but those numbers are way off and nowhere near what we have on the street not even close! Every city, every department is going to have issues I don't deny that but unless you have put on a badge and a vest you have no idea from reading numbers on a website. And yes I chose this line of work no excuses.
Wasn't attempting to argue. When I post something I like to use facts and examples. Enjoy your Hennessey

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a friend who is an oak pd and he makes over a 100k a year. He was also telling me about his retirement plan. Which is just crazy.
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wasn't attempting to argue. When I post something I like to use facts and examples. Enjoy your Hennessey
Oh you know I will gotta spend that 188K right! Cheers and I kid I wish I made near that!
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol, great idea Oakland. As crime goes up, they lay off...genius!
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:

Sucks C*** it's been going on across the state the last 2 years!
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:

Crime is down in Oakland BTW not up

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Some people know that the Oakland Police department has to layoff 77 police officers. here's the story

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/12/BA3A1EDACT.DTL

What I found interesting was

"776 Number of officers on the Oakland police force before any layoffs

$188,000 Annual total of salary and benefits per officer

$407 million Oakland's general fund budget for current fiscal year (down $69 million since 2005)"

Btw the average police officer in the United states makes $55,000. And Oakland City Budget is about 580 million per year

Great post [patriot]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As it sits right now, Sac Co is going to layoff another 19-21 deputies starting next month, plus some support staff; that is on top of the 300 last year... [BS flag]

As another person said, it's across the state right now and it's not just layoffs. Some departments are being completely disbanded.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its very sad what is about to happen there. My folks will be one of the ones getting laid off and he is one of the cops there the actually cares. This happened in NOLA the year we was the murder capitol. And it went bananas after that. Crime is about to be off the hook is Oakland if this happens. But what they did try in NOLA was making cops walk the beat and even live in areas they police. It worked for a while but then the cops became the big drug dealers..lol.

Oakland needs police reform IMO.

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Its very sad what is about to happen there. My folks will be one of the ones getting laid off and he is one of the cops there the actually cares. This happened in NOLA the year we was the murder capitol. And it went bananas after that. Crime is about to be off the hook is Oakland if this happens. But what they did try in NOLA was making cops walk the beat and even live in areas they police. It worked for a while but then the cops became the big drug dealers..lol.

[Eek!] drug dealing cops now that scary [Eek!]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

source or stfu

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94 N.C.F. GT:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

[Eek!] drug dealing cops now that scary [Eek!]
Yea playa NOLA is no joke when it comes to corrupt police. Oakland is heading that way if they do not turn it around.

I do not think crime is down is Oakland. Maybe some sectors of crime. But I know they were off to a roaring start for murders earlier this year.

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

the first on that needs to go is the mayor of Oakland. He has set a great example by not paying his taxes. [BS flag] Crime if it is down, is about to go up..... Special task units like CRT are going to be gone. That means no sting operations meaning more drugs and prostitution. [Frown] they will cut all he special units other then swat.
All the cop haters are going to have a field day in Oakland. Officers moral is going to be down. The future doesn't look to good for Oakland.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hanson:
quote:
quote:

source or stfu
http://cbs5.com/crime/oakland.crime.rate.2.1590806.html

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_15153566

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

the first on that needs to go is the mayor of Oakland. He has set a great example by not paying his taxes. [BS flag] Crime if it is down, is about to go up..... Special task units like CRT are going to be gone. That means no sting operations meaning more drugs and prostitution. [Frown] they will cut all he special units other then swat.
All the cop haters are going to have a field day in Oakland. Officers moral is going to be down. The future doesn't look to good for Oakland.

Don't know if you read the complete story but they had a deal to save all the police officers jobs, but the police union didn't want to take the pay cuts.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hanson:
quote:
quote:

source or stfu
You have to read local news once in a while.. Not evrything on Caford is the way of life [Smile]
Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
cagedblackgt
I <3 CAFords.com
Member # 10090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cagedblackgt  Ford pictures for cagedblackgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Don't know if you read the complete story but they had a deal to save all the police officers jobs, but the police union didn't want to take the pay cuts.
Incorrect, the OakPD was asked to pay 9% of their pay into the pension accounts. The Police Officer Uninion wanted a 3 (which even went down to 1) year guarantee of no layoffs if they did this as ht 9% was supposed to fix the police budget.

City council said FU, we wont lay any of you off until November.

City council fucked that one up, not the police.

--------------------
Making the moderators cyber-sit me is probably a good way of getting my account locked for a while. I know they're busy folks volunteering their time to help others out.It's selfish of me and others who make their task more time consuming and difficult than it already is. In fact I should either chip in and help out or not participate at all. I'm going to do my best to be part of the solution and not the problem from now on.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com