Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 67 Shelby GT500 Clone (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: 67 Shelby GT500 Clone
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bwkelley76:
Looks like I might paint the car this color

2010/11 Ford Bordeaux Reserve Red (computer generated color, but very close)

Goood choice. That red is really deep and rich in person.
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very true, pics don't do it justice unless you get really good light.

She's gettin there!

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things. "RIP George Carlin"

Posts: 886 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ when I blocked the rear section around the window I used tape to keep my lines super straight...... But i'm a newb, it was the first car I block sanded.....
( I still think you should go with the orange.)

[ June 11, 2010, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Slowback67 ]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
more pics...

-

-

-

-

Window lips in rear look really good! (brown stuff is just glue/putty) no rust!

-

-

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Lotsa fiberglass!

-

-

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please use the chrome bumpers. Don't ruin it with an Eleanor frontend or some other kind of fiberglass front

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

no worries, those are getting re-chromed and reused as they are originals and in decent shape. No eleanor stuff on this car.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK Good, the original bumpers look awesome on these cars.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aftermarkets don't fit quite right, I've seen it first-hand, especially in the rear. The corners are too short and don't contour all the way up to the panel extensions, leaving about a 3/8" or more gap, and they tend to stick out too wide as well.

[ June 13, 2010, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

oooooooooh, lookie what I found today!

2007 Lexus es350 Royal Ruby Metallic

here's a camera phone pic of the car next to me. The owner of the car was nice enough to tell me the name of the color...
 -

internet pics I found...
 -
 -

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Here's some pics of the fiberglass fitment, not bad!!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ June 17, 2010, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like the nose is going to fit pretty well also. I'm sure it will take some work to get it perfect but I'm ok with that!

--------------------

Vividly Vintage
¯
Member # 6759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vividly Vintage  Ford pictures for Vividly Vintage  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know your are going for more of a perfect gt500 but if you want to fool some of these shelby know it alls, the right side of the decklid with the duck tail spoiler is not perfect on the fit. On all the "real" gt500's it actually is raised up a bit, like almost 1/4 inch. this minor defect is from when shelby originally made the parts, they were given wrecked parts from ford. If you look at all untouched 67 shelbys the right side of the deck lid is taller than the right quarter extension. If you are going for a close fake, that would be one minor touch that you can implement to fool some people. Other than not having the numbered apron tag. Your body work is coming along nicely. Keep posting the updates. I love seeing the progress.

Here are a few photos of some stock fitment issues:

-

-

-

-Doug

-

[ June 19, 2010, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: The Mustang Guys ]

--------------------
The Mustang Guys

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ Great info about the decklid. I've never noticed that nor heard that before. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Vividly Vintage
¯
Member # 6759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vividly Vintage  Ford pictures for Vividly Vintage  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it can be also higher on the left side as well, it just depends how the deck lid is adjusted. but typically on the right side. If this issue is corrected on a real shelby, it can affect the value of the car significantly and small things like this if corrected can take away points if your car is being judged for authenticity. but if it is a tribute car its not mandatory. Shelby was always in a rush to get the cars out. So there are so many different issues that if you restore shelbys you will know and continue to learn about, since each car is a little different. everyones intuition is to fix the issues. if you are restoring a real shelby you must learn to leave them alone because it can affect its value significantly. Its alot of fun learning about the issues and flaws these high dollar cars have.

-Doug

-

[ June 20, 2010, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: The Mustang Guys ]

--------------------
The Mustang Guys

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Saw this color the other day in the sun... Brilliant! Pics do not do it justice.

-

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

thanks for the info on the deck-lid and others, good stuff.

Yep that is a great color, just don't think I can afford a 3-stage paint job at the moment. [Frown]

As far as my attempts at "authenticity" I'm really not all that worried. Not wanting to make it a concourse replica at all. I look at it like this... If it were a real one I'd want to make sure every concourse item was there, flaws included.

When I make a replica I try to repair the flaws of the originals. I think it makes my "replica" not just a replica, but something a little nicer than the original. [Smile] It's a "replica", it's not like I can really hurt it. [Wink]

[ June 21, 2010, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

Vividly Vintage
¯
Member # 6759

Think of it as the Mustang shelby should of made. [Smile] keep posting. What kind of quotes have you been given for a paint job? if you go with that ruby red color, you should do a darker tinted ruby red for the stripes. would look awesome with some ghost stripes.

--------------------
The Mustang Guys

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by The Mustang Guys:
Think of it as the Mustang shelby should of made. [Smile] keep posting. What kind of quotes have you been given for a paint job? if you go with that ruby red color, you should do a darker tinted ruby red for the stripes. would look awesome with some ghost stripes.

that's exactly what I was planning if I did that color. As far as paint and body expenses I have quite the hookup since I work in the business. [Wink] I get everything at "jobber" price or below.

--------------------

Hele On
¯
Member # 4107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hele On  Ford pictures for Hele On    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Being a former 67 fastback owner, I have just one request on your build... don't spackle paint the engine bay or trunk! This guy at California Dream Machines had a Hellanor (because the majority of Eleanors I've seen look like hell) replica, and the spackle paint job in the engine bay looked like crap, thus killing the car as a whole.
 -

[ June 22, 2010, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Hele On ]

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<Haha! NO worries I would do that and I can not believe that anyone would even think of it.

Speckle paint totally reminds me of the 80's man! Remember spider web paint! How about "fleck-stone"? lol

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by The Mustang Guys:
i know your are going for more of a perfect gt500 but if you want to fool some of these shelby know it alls, the right side of the decklid with the duck tail spoiler is not perfect on the fit. On all the "real" gt500's it actually is raised up a bit, like almost 1/4 inch. this minor defect is from when shelby originally made the parts, they were given wrecked parts from ford. If you look at all untouched 67 shelbys the right side of the deck lid is taller than the right quarter extension. If you are going for a close fake, that would be one minor touch that you can implement to fool some people. Other than not having the numbered apron tag. Your body work is coming along nicely. Keep posting the updates. I love seeing the progress.

Here are a few photos of some stock fitment issues:

-

-

-

-Doug

-

Thats a beautiful car, here it is on eBay. Just stumbled on it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-SHELBY-GT500-FASTBACK-SHELBY-ONLY-29-000-MILES-/390213123790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5ada83bece

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

All done shaping the steel! Front wheel lips and roof were pretty banged up. The rocker moldings and door bottoms had some body cancer. Everything came out very nice though. Next step is filler-primer, final fiberglass fitment and blocking! [Smile]

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Time for blocking!

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn car is looking great! keep the pics coming.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com