Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » any porsche guys here?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: any porsche guys here?
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A client has offered me a 87 turbo 944 in exchange for some services. Just curious if you guys have any knowledge of any pitfalls or cool stuff about em? Been reading online about em, but maybe ya'll have some insider info.

Any info appreciated.

00SLVRGT
¯
Member # 4509

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00SLVRGT  Ford pictures for 00SLVRGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not an expert, but i think i read that they are not bad to maintain, but i believe the transmissions are expensive to fix and are prone to go out, but its prob a good deal, worse be it you can prob sell it for a little bit..

--------------------
2000 GT Silver... SOLD
94 Cobra... SOLD
02 Foush, work in progress

blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 85 944, and unless this turbo 944 (951) has been maintained well, and parts serviced at proper milage markers, these things can be pricey to drive. within 2 months of purchasing mine I replaced the radiator($300), alternator($300), clutch slave cylinder($90), then the transmission went, I also had some ecu issues which was going to be a potentialy expensive, along with an old timing belt that needed a special 500 dollar dial guage tool to replaced.
On the up side it wasnt that complicated of a car to work on, I pretty much learned how to turn a wrech on that car.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:
I have a 85 944, and unless this turbo 944 (951) has been maintained well, and parts serviced at proper milage markers, these things can be pricey to drive. within 2 months of purchasing mine I replaced the radiator($300), alternator($300), clutch slave cylinder($90), then the transmission went, I also had some ecu issues which was going to be a potentialy expensive, along with an old timing belt that needed a special 500 dollar dial guage tool to replaced.
On the up side it wasnt that complicated of a car to work on, I pretty much learned how to turn a wrech on that car.

the dude is collector of porsches, this one has 87k miles and he has all maintenance records which is pretty cool. he is the second owner. but thanks for he heads up on the maintenance costs.
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the coolant, if you have oil in there your looking at big trouble.
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
944s suck big time imo.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use to have a 87 944 turbo with a chip kit. A fun car that I really enjoyed but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but you will still pay Porsche prices for repairs and a lot of people don't remember them. When you tell them you have one most won't know what it is.
If you truly love 944t's then go for it, but if it isn't a top of the list car, I would pass on it and spend more and get a later model 911.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by aslowdodge:
I use to have a 87 944 turbo with a chip kit. A fun car that I really enjoyed but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but you will still pay Porsche prices for repairs and a lot of people don't remember them. When you tell them you have one most won't know what it is.
If you truly love 944t's then go for it, but if it isn't a top of the list car, I would pass on it and spend more and get a later model 911.

thanks, but it is being given to me. I would never buy one, not really my type of car. I was just curious if there were some cool stuff about them or some gotchas. Thanks folks.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if im thinking right, the 944 is the slant 4 cylinder motor in the front of the car, with a bubble back rear end? if so this is what other Porsche guys laugh at. nothing cool at all. the slowest Porsche by far, the turbo is almost kinda cool just to talk about lol! just my opinion lol! but i worked at a couple German only car shops, and 1 Porsche shop. nothing seriously wrong with them,but something about front lower ball joints and some bushings in the front control arms go out, but it still is a German car. but just the lowest of lower end of Porsche.good luck either way!
maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
Check the coolant, if you have oil in there your looking at big trouble.

hahah the good old "giant killer"is what they called it back in the days.this could be bad or good alot of people got rid of there 944 cus they thought its somrthing major like head gasket or something,but alot i came across is just the o ring in the oil cooler where water cools it.its been awhile eversince i messed with these cars but working on them is not hard at all.one thing to look for is behind the master cylinder where it hits the firewall make sure its not leaking or never leaked as the fluid will eat thru the thin as metal and weaken the firewall(i had 2 cases where it did this,when the customer slammed on the clutch pedal the wall just sunked in)good luck man.

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com