Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » real estate investment question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: real estate investment question
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
me and a friend are considering buying 2 properties out of state(cash) just to rent out.

my question is do we need a particular license for this? since we live out of state is there any special insurances we need? extra taxes?

just any general advice would be appreciated its new to us and we are very interested

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 thinking about doing the same exact thing.
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No license needed. Dont know much about insurance but i think there is rental loss insurance you can get. I'd have a rental company handle renting the place unless you are willing to travel if someone has a problem with their toilet in the middle of the night. Which area are you looking in btw? Hope its not Detroit!
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
be very aware of the areas taxes and if any tax laws get passed. I got, got on some stupid thing that Texas just passed on land owners with no structure on the property but it being zoned commercial.

Also have a good real estate agent for that area. But other than that all you need is the ability to buy the crib.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0-srt-4:
me and a friend are considering buying 2 properties

50/50 partnerships are a VERY VERY bad idea. It would be best to each purchase one property and then share the management and maintenance responsibilities.
Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
quote:

50/50 partnerships are a VERY VERY bad idea. It would be best to each purchase one property and then share the management and maintenance responsibilities.
Please eloborate if you dont mind. I have four buddies I plan on buying property with. We have written a company charer with shares depending on amount of intial buy in.

Thanks

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

+1

lots of things to worry about and cover. I would go to a lawyer and have agreements drawn up. One thing that stung me on a partnership with a property is my partner had a child support garnishment and they placed a lein on our property. Also you can write it in now, but if later this arises and your partners name comes up in Child Support or a lawsuit or student loans. If his name/SSN is a attached to the property they will attach themselves as well.

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my company is moving to reno and I'm thinking about doing the same thing, buying an investment property. I've looked at loans and what I have learned is that if your getting a loan for rental property you have to put more down etc. So you don't have that problem paying cash, the only thing is that make sure to claim it on your tax return as an income!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4 things that are critical

1. a good honest realtor that know income property and is not out to screw the rich californian with more money than sense.

2. a good management company that understands it's there to make you money, not themselves.

3. a good honest realtor that know income property and is not out to screw the rich californian with more money than sense.

4. a good management company that understands it's there to make you money, not themselves.

That's right- I repeated it twice. There's a lot off folks who think Californians have lots of money and are easy targets. As someone who had out of state property I will tell you it might be harder than you think. Just make sure you do your homework. If you haven't already been a landlord here already, it will be hard. You won't know if the management company is truly doing a good job. Every month the may send you bills for nickel and dime maintainance that you have no idea if it was valid or necessary since you aren't around to check up on them. Also watch out for smaller towns. Some treat outsiders differently than they would treat locals.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

+1

lots of things to worry about and cover. I would go to a lawyer and have agreements drawn up. One thing that stung me on a partnership with a property is my partner had a child support garnishment and they placed a lein on our property. Also you can write it in now, but if later this arises and your partners name comes up in Child Support or a lawsuit or student loans. If his name/SSN is a attached to the property they will attach themselves as well.

One thing maybe you can look into is creating a Inc. company to place the property under so this cant happen? Also what was said before i would get everything in writing for sure.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com