Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » paramedic school (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: paramedic school
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone here completed it? im signing up for the class starting in april through NCTI.
i heard its tough, but ill be on unemployment throughout the schooling part so i can pretty much make it my life [Embarrassed]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im assuming you have completed EMT-B classes?

I had completed my emt classes through west med in san jose. All of my teachers recomended being on a ambulance for atleast 6 months as an emt then go into paramedic class.

Good luck doing it!

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by t top freak:
anyone here completed it? im signing up for the class starting in april through NCTI.
i heard its tough, but ill be on unemployment throughout the schooling part so i can pretty much make it my life [Embarrassed]

my wife is going to be starting ncti in a couple months, you have to have your emt cert to take the paramedic, and ncti will stick you in either a hospital or a ambulance as part of the internship. i will be going to ncti in about a year or so, i start the arc fire academy in january and when i graduate i recieve emt cert then i will be hopefully be working for a fire department and going to ncti at the same time. good luck! tons if my friends been through and it defenatly pays off!

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
quote:

my wife is going to be starting ncti in a couple months, you have to have your emt cert to take the paramedic, and ncti will stick you in either a hospital or a ambulance as part of the internship. i will be going to ncti in about a year or so, i start the arc fire academy in january and when i graduate i recieve emt cert then i will be hopefully be working for a fire department and going to ncti at the same time. good luck! tons if my friends been through and it defenatly pays off!
yeah i already had my emt but that was a few years ago and its expired. national registry said i have to retake the course...GAY! oh well everything will be fresh in my mind i guess.
good luck in the fire academy! i know it pays off too, firefighter paramedics make bank [patriot]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
on the hunt for another

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have until April before the p-class starts, see about taking your EMT somewhere else, like a junior college. NCTI does teach the EMT class, but you end up paying so much more for it than you would at Sierra or CRC, especially considering you have the entire fall semester to take the classes. From what I remember, the EMT class was two nights per week, 6-10pm, which was easy to fit into a schedule in case you're able to find a job.

Like Chris C. said, see about getting on an ambulance before going to p-school - that way, stuff makes more sense because it's less conceptual and more physical because you will understand what they're talking about, and not just in theory.

Good luck.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:
If you have until April before the p-class starts, see about taking your EMT somewhere else, like a junior college. NCTI does teach the EMT class, but you end up paying so much more for it than you would at Sierra or CRC, especially considering you have the entire fall semester to take the classes. From what I remember, the EMT class was two nights per week, 6-10pm, which was easy to fit into a schedule in case you're able to find a job.

Like Chris C. said, see about getting on an ambulance before going to p-school - that way, stuff makes more sense because it's less conceptual and more physical because you will understand what they're talking about, and not just in theory.

Good luck.

yeah im already signed up for emt at a jc again. it will be a nice refresher, maybe some policies have changed in the last couple years?
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

oh, ncti doesnt offer financial aid like other colleges. thats GAY

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
on the hunt for another

Rinna90
¯
Member # 6850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rinna90  Ford pictures for Rinna90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my Emt at NCTI and although it is a good school i would highly recommend taking it through i JC or some type of school that does a full length semester. NCTI's is only 8 weeks long and set at a pretty quick pace. And it is hella expensive and u can not pass the final test by 1% and out the window goes 2 grand!!
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Good luck.

yeah im already signed up for emt at a jc again. it will be a nice refresher, maybe some policies have changed in the last couple years?
I think the only thing in EMT scope that's changed is the CPR breaths/compressions, depending on how long it's been since you've been cert'd.
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im a paramedic, great job. Still same scope for EMT, if there realy sick put a lot of O2 if there not so sick little O2

[ July 28, 2009, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: 70mach351 ]

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

ntimid8
¯
Member # 1498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntimid8  Ford pictures for ntimid8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my EMT course through NCTI. Hi Phil. [Wink]

--------------------
"Happiness is being stroked and Blown"

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah i already had my emt but that was a few years ago and its expired. national registry said i have to retake the course...GAY! oh well everything will be fresh in my mind i guess.
good luck in the fire academy! i know it pays off too, firefighter paramedics make bank [patriot]

thanks, ya im hoping to make good money and enjoy my job also. my buddy that is helping me do all of this works at the academy and is a paramedic/firefighter for folsom fire and from what i can see is pretty well off.

--------------------

slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good luck.

I think the only thing in EMT scope that's changed is the CPR breaths/compressions, depending on how long it's been since you've been cert'd.
the breath/compression ratio is changing every year I go to my 1st responder update training [Razz]
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks, ya im hoping to make good money and enjoy my job also. my buddy that is helping me do all of this works at the academy and is a paramedic/firefighter for folsom fire and from what i can see is pretty well off.
my cousin is a firefighter paramedic in san fran...lets just say hes pretty well off haha. [Wink]

lives up here, works down there. he loves it

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
on the hunt for another

SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a cousin going through all this and he is at the party where he's registering for EMT or something like that but he went through the fire academy first I think I just seen some one write they did EMT and fire academy after I'm guessin you do it in any order?

I'm a mechanic for the county I've been wanting to take some fire classes to see if I can apply for station mechanic at a fire house I hear it's the same pay and benifits as a fire fighter

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

macthizzle
¯
Member # 3492

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macthizzle  Ford pictures for macthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I JUST SIGNED UP FOR EMT TRAINING AT EMS ACADEMY IN RWC I PAYED $1300 BECAUSE MY JOB DOESNT GIVE ME TIME OFF FOR SCHOOL.I AM TRYING TO DO THE FIREFIGHTER THING AND MY NEIGHBOR IS A SAN MATEO FIRE CAPTAIN

--------------------
"FUCK U PAY ME"

Posts: 992 | From: REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
Originally posted by macthizzle:
I JUST SIGNED UP FOR EMT TRAINING AT EMS ACADEMY IN RWC I PAYED $1300 BECAUSE MY JOB DOESNT GIVE ME TIME OFF FOR SCHOOL.I AM TRYING TO DO THE FIREFIGHTER THING AND MY NEIGHBOR IS A SAN MATEO FIRE CAPTAIN

save your money and dont do the emt school, during a fire academy emt is included in this as every firefighter has a emt cert. unless you wanna pay twice for something.

--------------------

Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

save your money and dont do the emt school, during a fire academy emt is included in this as every firefighter has a emt cert. unless you wanna pay twice for something.
i didnt know that the acadamy offers that..i just finished my emt course in manteca last month..getting ready to take the national registry in a few weeks..I paid $1500 for my class, but if i would've know that I would I jus gone straight to the academy..only thing left to do now, already finished all the fire science classes.

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

quote:
Originally posted by 1nastycobra:
quote:
quote:

i didnt know that the acadamy offers that..i just finished my emt course in manteca last month..getting ready to take the national registry in a few weeks..I paid $1500 for my class, but if i would've know that I would I jus gone straight to the academy..only thing left to do now, already finished all the fire science classes.
haha from what i remember that test is gay. lots of cpr questions. somethings that we in cali dont even get taught.

this was 3 years ago though [BS flag]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
on the hunt for another

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take EMT, i have never seen a EMT class in a Fire Academy, you better make sure it has it before you dont take a certain class. Paramedic is a job requirement some places, doesnt mean that they will teach it in the academy. If your going through American River or the JPA in sacramento there is seperate class, but im pretty sure its not included.
Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea i jus been trying to hit the book hard, making sure i got everything down..From what i've been hearing from everyone that has took the test, its hella hard..the pass rate for first timers is pretty low, so im trying beat the odds..I'm been studying the ob-gyn..lol not my favorite, but last person i talked to who took the test said there were hella questions covering that.

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Just remember all those registry sheets, always do your ABC's in that order and you will be fine. Its almost like trick questions at least for the paramedic test, i never had to take NREMT, I'd say 40%of the questions on my medic test were BLS answers.

--------------------

Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

alright, so I've been hearing of good fire academys in the area. Where do you guys recommend? and what does the schedule typically look like? Am i going to have to quit my job to do this?

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

macthizzle
¯
Member # 3492

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macthizzle  Ford pictures for macthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I DONT THINK THAT FIRE ACADEMY GIVES U EMT CERT BECAUSE AT COLLEGE OF SAN MATEO THEY HAVE THE EMT AS A SEPERATE CLASS.6 OR 7 UNIT CLASS.I TOOK IT ONCE ALREADY BUT JUST SLIPPED UNDER 80% AND GOT THE BOOT BY RWC BATTALION CHIEF.

--------------------
"FUCK U PAY ME"

Posts: 992 | From: REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

If i knew where lathrop was i could tell you. JPA in sac has one that is full time or one that is weekends and i think two nights a week, Los medanos in pittsburg used to have one, Sierra college by roseville, Butte, Solono comunity college, San Mateo, One in Alameda county I think at Chabot in Hayward... just a few that i can remember

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com