Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Move to Texas?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Move to Texas?
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you guys do it???
I have a job opp out in houston and 1 out in Austin doing work in either the oil industry or my same concrete industry.
Pay would go up 20-30K on top of what i make now and id be able to buy a house twice the size of one out here for the same $$$. No smog for the car [Wink] But im still debating.

Me and my lady have a 2 month old and i wanna do whats best for them. Figure better job higher pay and less in cost of living would be awesome. How would you convince your lady?
At first she was like ok... but then baby came and she realized we'd be apart from all the family we have. What do you think?
Give it a shot? 1-2yrs then come back or stay depending on how it goes? or not go at all? Whatd you guys think? [patriot]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

KINGROY
¯
Member # 7736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KINGROY  Ford pictures for KINGROY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't do it. I used to live out there for 5 years. It was the worst 5 years of my life. Looks you're from Haward too, so life would be totally different. Plus all the pollution, it's like benecia everywhere. Insects and humidity. Rain and horrible public transportation. Less diversity. Same music on the radio station all day everyday. I could keep going. I have a 4 bedroom, pool 1 1/2 acre 2 car garage house down there that my mom gave to me when she passed away. I opted to rent it out and stay out here in something smaller. Don't do it. Just my .02

--------------------
2003 Cobra Vert
2005 Prius

Posts: 1642 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
E's 89COUPE
¯
Member # 6569

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for E's 89COUPE  Ford pictures for E's 89COUPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'D SAY GO FOR IT ATLEAST TRY IT OUT AND SEE IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT LIKE YOU SAID YOU CAN ALWAYS COME BACK IF IT DOES'NT WORK OUT.THE ONLY THING IS THE MOVE SUCKS AND IT'S ALWAYS COOL TO HAVE FAMILY AROUND IF YOU GUY'S ARE CLOSE.BUT IN THE OTHER HAND YOU HAVE TO THINK WHAT'S BEST FOR YOUR FAM WOULD THEY BE HAPPIER THERE WITH A BIGGER HOUSE AND MORE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET TO BE ABLE TO DO THING'S OR ARE THEY HAPPY JUST THE WAY EVERYTHING IS NOW.TOUGH I KNOW I HAD A CHANCE TO MOVE TO CHICAGO AND HAVE A HOUSE BUT DECIDED TO STAY CLOSE TO HER FAM AND MINE BUT YOU HAVE THE JOB OPPORTUNITY TO BETTER YOUR LIFE.GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER CHOICE YOU MAKE.

--------------------
SIDE JOBS PERFORMANCE & GENERAL MECHANIC 510-875-0502 EDDIE

2005 F150
89.LX COUPE
68.Cougar
89 civic HB

Cm4hawks
¯
Member # 5231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cm4hawks  Ford pictures for Cm4hawks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Houston and in Texas you do have smog unless you are out in the contry just like here. I have lived in Texas my entire life until i met my wife and moved here. And honestly if i could talk her into moving i would go back

--------------------
2007 Ford Expedition
2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Posts: 1818 | From: Pacheco CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes the bigger house and more money don't cut it. Think about family, friends, and so forth. If you grew up in Cali you won't last long out there. I lived in El Paso and Dallas for a while, and it is very different. And lets not talk about the weather-super hot! Shit, I grew up in the Bay, I wouldn't even consider moving to the central valley with that extra heat (no offense guys and girls who live out there)

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
mikeP
¯
Member # 4489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeP  Ford pictures for mikeP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with your instinct. Only thing that is more important than anything is family so that would be the only draw back to moving i think, but your with the 2 other people who you love the most so you should be alright out there or wherever you are. Im here in the P.I. right now. I didnt really like it at first but man is it a blast, I love it [Cool] .....Dont get me wrong there will be no place like home, Cali but there are other places in the world than the bay area.... [patriot]

[ August 10, 2008, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: mikeP ]

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i lived in houston when i was a lot younger and i hated it.. im glad i live out here i would never move back out there. just my opinion though.. but it would be good to raise a family out there seeing how everything is so much cheaper you could do a lot for them out there.
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thank you guys for all your input [patriot]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Having visited my father's side of the family in Texas all my life, I'll say that Austin is the only city in the state that has any redeeming qualities. San Antonio is nice too, I guess...but avoid Houston at all costs, IMHO

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Poisond Pony
¯
Member # 5141

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poisond Pony  Ford pictures for Poisond Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just moved back to Sacramento after being stationed in Killeen for the past 3 years. Central Texas is an awesome area, I would go back there in a heartbeat. Austin has a very comfortable cost of living, farely large city (San Jose size), traffic is about the same as east bay 880 traffic. Sacramento-like weather, although rain in the summer is not unusual and gets pretty humid in June. They do have smog, but it's not strict in the cities like California's. I was passing emissions in San Antonio with a cammed 2v with long tubes and high flow cats. When I did inspections in Killeen, there was no test, just looking under the car to see if I still had them.

--------------------
1997 SVT Cobra
very stock, very lame

Posts: 1089 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man fuuuck texas [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

saleen_freak
¯
Member # 6521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen_freak  Ford pictures for saleen_freak    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I moved to Elk grove from SF. All my fam is out there. It sucks not being a hop skip and a jump away. The good thing is that I'm only 2 hours away. You'd be a $300-$400 PLANE tix away. So don't think anyone is gonna visit. If you can deal with that then ... the moneys good and you can save 20k for 3 to 4 yaers and come back with a pretty penny and your daughter would just be startin school. Good luck your probly gonna at least try it out. That's tuff to pass up homie.
I'm tryin to save enough $$$ to move back I've been here for 4 years already.

Posts: 211 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
kaoticmk2
¯
Member # 5186

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaoticmk2  Ford pictures for kaoticmk2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
Having visited my father's side of the family in Texas all my life, I'll say that Austin is the only city in the state that has any redeeming qualities. San Antonio is nice too, I guess...but avoid Houston at all costs, IMHO

I would love to move to Austin from here I really would so far everything is better their but the summer heat. We try to going three times a year. If I could there would be no holding back. Just my 2cents
Stevo
¯
Member # 972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo  Ford pictures for Stevo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This coming from a current Houstonian..... Do what's better for your family man... You should know by now that I'd rather be here than there... I guess you have to be raised here to understand... [Wink] California is a great place to VISIT!
Posts: 1072 | From: Conroe, TX | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Houses are cheap. but property taxes are pretty high. I would rent a house until you knew for sure. But I don't think texas has a state income tax so that will help.
heat, humidity, and bugs are the worse. But as far as amenities, it's the 4th largest city. As far as diversity, it's like here. Depends on what part you live in.
I had a friend that moved there for work and swore he'd do whatever it took to get back here. 2 years later he swears he would never come back to Cali.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Dave50
¯
Member # 5238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave50  Ford pictures for Dave50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Picture, Sacramento or SF then think of where you live, Theres so many citys on the outskirts you cant go wrong. Most of the people are commenting on the Downtown areas. Texas is great. Good ole Americans who believe in the old freedoms we had. Gun rights and property ownership. Real americans (myself included) would love to live there. If you like hustling, stealing, mooching then Texas aint for you. If you wanna be an "american MAN" Teaxas is for you.

[ August 12, 2008, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Dave50 ]

--------------------
Obama 09 "YES WE CAN!"

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't do it. I go to Houston on business and there ain't much to do there. It's hot as hell in the summer. You will be livin' in the air conditioning.

Never been to Austin but I would go and check that out

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com