Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Test Only smog place wouldn't do supercharger?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Test Only smog place wouldn't do supercharger?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just went to get my car smogged at a test only, and the place siad they wouldn't do it because of the supercharger? Even with the CARB number an everything... is this the case with all those places or just this place being difficult?

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like they are being dicks or dont know how to do their job

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a couple places refuse to even look at my car when I presented them with EO numbers. One shop even failed me for my STOCK headers.

*edit* Didn't notice you had said it was a test only. I would call the BAR, being a test only station, I don't think they can refuse you.

[ September 12, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie351 ]

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Avengeance
¯
Member # 5163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avengeance  Ford pictures for Avengeance    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Test Only shops are supposed to "know it all" when it comes to smog. They should have a book with all the CARB #s for aftermarket parts readily available. For them to refuse you is plain rediculous.... try another shop and report the one that turned you away.

I remember smogging my old car that had a CAI and MSD ignition/MSD coil. They whipped out a book and referenced all the CARB#s I had right there and had no problems. Cept the "tech" couldnt find my EGR components... I had to point them out for him. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
02' Limited Edition 35th Ann. SS
620rwhp/570rwtq. 10.6 @ 132mph.

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try San Carlos smog in San Carlos.Not sure of the number but the are South of Holley Street on the El Camino.It a little bit of a drive but the guy knows his Carb EO numbers and what is legal and what not.And unfortunalty NO he dosent look the other way but is very fair.give them a try.
Posts: 22466 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is pretty gay when we have to help eachother just to find a fair smog. from my experience the one in pinole charges you $10 per modification(legal ones) which sounds illegal to me since carb #'s are executive orders as stock replacement. then there's the one in richmond at the jr college, he was pretty fair on the carb#'s but the fucker almost failed me cause he couldnt find my evap cannister which was in the stock location

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

WHYT LIE
¯
Member # 5925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WHYT LIE  Ford pictures for WHYT LIE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is illegal for them to refuse you... if you honestly think you are legal and want to make a stink about it, contact the proper authorities and report them.

And charging $10 per mod/EO number... that does not sound legal either. I've never heard of that. Might be a scam??? Report their ass too.

--------------------
WHYT LIE
'96 Camaro Z-28 (Artic White) hardtop 6-spd
10.78 @ 129mph 1.51 60ft

ZO SIC
'02 Corvette Z06 (Quicksilver)
11.88 @ 121.6mph 1.97 60ft

Posts: 113 | From: Lincoln, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like absolute [BS flag] to me, I'd raise a hell of a stink if a smog place refused to test me and I have the CARB # sitting right on the fucken part they are failing me for

[ September 12, 2005, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My Mustang is due for a Smog Only test [Frown] Since i live up here in the boonies i was thinking of just seeing if i can get away with my cold air intake.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
that is pretty gay when we have to help eachother just to find a fair smog. from my experience the one in pinole charges you $10 per modification(legal ones) which sounds illegal to me since carb #'s are executive orders as stock replacement. then there's the one in richmond at the jr college, he was pretty fair on the carb#'s but the fucker almost failed me cause he couldnt find my evap cannister which was in the stock location

The guy in Pinole is mentally challenged. I was watching him operate and I was in shock that they let this guy out of the mental hopsital. He failed me for claiming that I was on the high side of motor oil on the motor dipstick. I double checked it and was still within ranger. I drove over to El Sobrante and passed 20 minutes later.

The Contra Costa College test only station, 3 years ago, that was the longest I have ever had a stock Mustang looked over. The car had pullies and shorty headers and they examined this thing like it was running on plutonium or something.

Why I got sent to a test only station 2 times in a row is beyond me.

Bottom line, the blind bureaucracy that is today's smog check is despicable.

Why can't they just put on a damn blindfold, put the sniffer in the tailpipe, STFU, and if it passes, it passes?

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Avengeance
¯
Member # 5163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avengeance  Ford pictures for Avengeance    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

Why can't they just put on a damn blindfold, put the sniffer in the tailpipe, STFU, and if it passes, it passes?

[patriot]

Thats how it should be.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

[ September 14, 2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

WHYT LIE
¯
Member # 5925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WHYT LIE  Ford pictures for WHYT LIE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

The guy in Pinole is mentally challenged. I was watching him operate and I was in shock that they let this guy out of the mental hopsital. He failed me for claiming that I was on the high side of motor oil on the motor dipstick. I double checked it and was still within ranger. I drove over to El Sobrante and passed 20 minutes later.

The Contra Costa College test only station, 3 years ago, that was the longest I have ever had a stock Mustang looked over. The car had pullies and shorty headers and they examined this thing like it was running on plutonium or something.

While I agree with the bureaucracy behind the smog shit being total crap, I do see a reason why visual inspection should matter.

We all know someone who has used non carb approved parts with a HOT motor and runs fast or makes huge HP and "passes" smog. They find someone who only cares about the tailpipe and doesn't care about visual.

They pass because they use tricks, such as special additives, or tuning, etc. But you know the way they normally drive their car it will pollute more then when they smog tested it.

Now, I don't really give a crap if they do polute more or not... Look at how much polution comes out of ONE airliner, or greyhound bus, or the BILLIONS (yeah, yeah, probably an exageration) of big rigs out there, let along refineries and factories.

They ought to give us an option to prove that we drive less than 10,000 miles a year, or 5,000 or 2,000 and pay a "fine" of $50-$100 a year NOT to smog our cars.

But the fucking hippies would throw a shit fit, and cause MORE polution as they drive their smelly asses to the rallies in their VW buses and Volvo's that pour out more smoke then Dennis Leary on a Comedy stage...

--------------------
WHYT LIE
'96 Camaro Z-28 (Artic White) hardtop 6-spd
10.78 @ 129mph 1.51 60ft

ZO SIC
'02 Corvette Z06 (Quicksilver)
11.88 @ 121.6mph 1.97 60ft

Posts: 113 | From: Lincoln, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I HATE SMOG. just call around to my knowledge if its got carb number its california legal?

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WHYT LIE:
quote:
quote:

While I agree with the bureaucracy behind the smog shit being total crap, I do see a reason why visual inspection should matter.

We all know someone who has used non carb approved parts with a HOT motor and runs fast or makes huge HP and "passes" smog. They find someone who only cares about the tailpipe and doesn't care about visual.

They pass because they use tricks, such as special additives, or tuning, etc. But you know the way they normally drive their car it will pollute more then when they smog tested it.

Now, I don't really give a crap if they do polute more or not... Look at how much polution comes out of ONE airliner, or greyhound bus, or the BILLIONS (yeah, yeah, probably an exageration) of big rigs out there, let along refineries and factories.

They ought to give us an option to prove that we drive less than 10,000 miles a year, or 5,000 or 2,000 and pay a "fine" of $50-$100 a year NOT to smog our cars.

But the fucking hippies would throw a shit fit, and cause MORE polution as they drive their smelly asses to the rallies in their VW buses and Volvo's that pour out more smoke then Dennis Leary on a Comedy stage...

I totally understand what you are saying, but us car enthusiasts are the extreme minority. And of those car enthusiasts, I would argue that the ones that know smog tricks and are willing to carry them out are also the minority. Also, most car enthusiasts don't use their "hot motored car" as a daily driver. I am putting maybe 20 miles a week on my coupe these days just for pleasure.

I think the Gov would accomplish what it is trying to accomplish and save a lot of time doing it if they just did a sniffer and nothing else.

I just don't believe that us car enthusiasts even come close to making up a significant portion of the pollution problem, as they are making us out to be.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with the type of smog/price/etc they are doing. I would just like for ALL smog techs' to be FULLY knowledgeable in their jobs.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

STROKD
¯
Member # 1668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STROKD  Ford pictures for STROKD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, smog is crap, that is why I am building a 100% Stock 5.0 with the parts that came off my dad's car. We kept EVERY stock bolt, nut, washer, all in boxes for such an issue. Going to build it up and have it on a motor stand, and swap it in the car every other year, get it tested, then come home and put the other blown strokers back in the cars... fuck CA emmissions. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 16, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: STROKD ]

Posts: 576 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STROKD:
Yep, smog is crap, that is why I am building a 100% Stock 5.0 with the parts that came off my dad's car. We kept EVERY stock bolt, nut, washer, all in boxes for such an issue. Going to build it up and have it on a motor stand, and swap it in the car every other year, get it tested, then come home and put the other blown strokers back in the cars... fuck CA emmissions. [Roll Eyes]

Ya one of the smog shops I went to down here put up a HUGE hissy fit when they saw one shiny washer next to all the other rusty looking ones [Frown]
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This was actually the test only station that is on Lafayette, about a block down from APEX. Just went there because I happened to be close, I couldn't believe they turned me away. From the looks of the shop and the idiots running it, I wasn't surprised. I just have never had to go to a Test Only so I didn't know the normal operating procedures for them.

I'll have to find another one, if I gotta go to San Carlos I'll do it.

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Anybody know of a test only in the South Bay that aren't run by idiots? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Avengeance
¯
Member # 5163

quote:
Originally posted by Coupe:
Ya one of the smog shops I went to down here put up a HUGE hissy fit when they saw one shiny washer next to all the other rusty looking ones [Frown]

Right about then I wouldve told them to STFU and do their job... what we do with our cars before and after the smog check is none of their fuckin business.

Most of these clowns dont know shit about cars... fuckin annoys me that they put Autozone drop outs into a position of "authority" to smog cars... and to throw fits about little shit like a friggin washer.

This whole topic gets me heated.. cause Ive never met a REALLY knowledgeable smog tech.

/rant

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend just got his smog license [Big Grin] [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
my friend just got his smog license [Big Grin] [burnout]

So where is he at???? [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com