Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Computer help....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer help....
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well today my screen on my desk top was pixelating and now the monitor won't turn on. If i turn the computer off and the monitor off the computer won't beep starting up and the screen says off mode in 5 minutes. So i am thinking my video card went south? is that the right assumption?
Brand new monitor by the way.

[ September 08, 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
move your video card to another slot, and or make sure it's secure, if it's not built in, pci, of course.
check for an updated driver as well...fairly sure that's not the case, but have seen this fix many problems.
hope this helps!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
move your video card to another slot, and or make sure it's secure, if it's not built in, pci, of course.
check for an updated driver as well...fairly sure that's not the case, but have seen this fix many problems.
hope this helps!

i can't check for an update driver cause it won't even show me a screen just goes to immediate sleep mode on the monitor and the computer doesn't beep like it should when it first starts up. I noticed its been beeping twice for the past month so maybe that was a sign that something was wrong [Frown]
does the "of course" you said mean i am right in my assumption that its the video card?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think he means if it's an AGP card you can't move it to another slot. if it were a PCI card you could move it to a different slot

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
i think he means if it's an AGP card you can't move it to another slot. if it were a PCI card you could move it to a different slot

[patriot] I'd suggest checking your ram as well, just a thought.

[ September 08, 2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: castor ]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the computer isn't booting up with its beep and the HD spinning up, the problem does not lie at the video card.

the computer isn't booting, this could mean that any of the cables inside could have become loose, the memory is bad, or the CPU has become unseated/burned up from improper heatsink installation.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think I would start with the video card (after I had either tested the monitor on another computer or another monitor on this computer). If you know someone into PC's, they likely have a spare card that you could plug in and find out. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and I wouldn't even let it boot into the OS, just long enough to see if it gets through the BIOS.
After that, I'd guess RAM or Processor, although it would be unusual (but possible)for these to affect the display.
It's alway hard to diagnose these thing remotely, so the more detail you can provide will help us help you!
Dennis

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah, the two beeps probably do indicate some issue that was detected, and MAY be in the documentation that came with the computer (or motherboard, if you built it yourself)
Dennis

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

I asgree with blind in regards to the problem not being the video card if it doesn't sound like it is going through it's normal boot process. I wasn't sure if you could tell that from your description....
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Hey thanks for all the help guys. [patriot]
The computer sounded like it was booting up and everything so i knew it had to be either the videocard or my 6 month old monitor,
I wentt o the Bay Area today to check on the house and i stopped by Fry's and bought a ATI Radeon 9550 with 256mb ddr AGP 8x/4x and shes working perfect now. I might try out some games since this seems like a big upgrade from my G-Force 4 128mb ddr videocard.

Thanks for all the help again! [patriot]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

my new video card came with games and one of them is Blaster Ball 2!!! Anyone remember blasterball 1? This game is the shit!

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Yep...video card it was!
Glad you're back up and running!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com