Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ford Motor Co. recalling 3.8 million pickups

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford Motor Co. recalling 3.8 million pickups
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
-- Ford Motor Co. recalling 3.8 million pickups, SUVs for a cruise control switch suspected of causing engine fires.

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you happen to have a news link?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just saw it in Fox News it covers the 94-02 F Seris,Expedition,Bronco,Naviagotor Truck.They mentioned that the switch can fail even with the key off/power off.
Posts: 22467 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAssMaro:
Just saw it in Fox News it covers the 94-02 F Seris,Expedition,Bronco,Naviagotor Truck.They mentioned that the switch can fail even with the key off/power off.

I thought i heard about something similar a few months back [Confused]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya, this is an old story.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
seen it on the news to months ago. i heard something like its really hot or some shit, crazy, it burnt someones garage up since the truck was inside. So what do people do when stuff like that happens? do you got to buy it or do they?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to www.cnn.com they have the updates.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
seen it on the news to months ago. i heard something like its really hot or some shit, crazy, it burnt someones garage up since the truck was inside. So what do people do when stuff like that happens? do you got to buy it or do they?

You take it into any FORD dealership and they replace it for free.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/09/07/ford_recall/index.html

Ford recalling 3.8 million vehicles
Trucks and SUVs recalled for switch that could cause fires. Also, Toyota issues service bulletin.
September 7, 2005; Posted: 4:23 p.m. EDT (2023 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) - In one of the largest recalls in automaker history, Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it is recalling approximately 3.8 million pickup trucks and SUVs for a cruise control switch that has caused engine fires, even with the vehicle parked and the engine off.

The recall includes 1994-2002 model-years of F-150 pickup truck, Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Broncos.

Ford had already recalled more than 1 million year 2000 vehicles in two separate recalls to replace the cruise control switch.

CNN launched an investigation into the fires earlier this year after receiving complaints from numerous Ford owners who said their vehicles caught fire when their engines were off and the keys weren't in the ignition. And in March, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an expanded investigation into the 3.8 million vehicles, after receiving 660 complaints of spontaneous fires.

The switch, which costs about $20, shuts off the cruise control when the driver firmly steps on the brakes. The switch is located under the hood of the vehicle and is attached to the brake master cylinder on one end and wired to the cruise control on the other.

On most of its models, Ford designed the switch to be powered -- or "hot" -- at all times, even when the vehicle is off. Inside the switch, a thin film barrier separates brake fluid from the switch's electrical components.

Investigators say fires can occur when the film cracks and brake fluid from the master cylinder seeps into the electrical side of the switch, corroding it. In its statement Wednesday, Ford said its investigation found that to be true.

"In rare cases, the corrosion in the electrical components can lead to increasing resistance and higher electrical current flow through the system," the company said. "Together, these conditions could lead to overheating and, possibly, a fire at the switch. This system interaction is the result of the close proximity and orientation of the speed control components in the recalled vehicles."

Ford said to fix the problem it will install a "fused wiring harness between the speed control deactivation switch and the speed control mechanism of the affected vehicles."

"This will act as a circuit breaker, eliminating the electrical current to the switch in the rare event of increased current flow through the switch," the company said.

Ray Nevi, the assistant director at Ford, said, "Our customers can be confident that this action will prevent a speed control deactivation switch fire."

He added, "Our investigation was complex because the root cause turned out to be a system interaction rather than a single component and we had very few confirmed incidents to analyze. Despite this complexity, our solution effectively addresses the cause."

The company said that until the replacement parts are available, customers driving the vehicles in question "are instructed to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership to have the speed control deactivated."

Ford said it would be notifiying owners by mail. More information is available on the Web at www.genuineservice.com, or via a hotline at Ford's Customer Relationship Center at 1-888-222-2751.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Toyota just recalled a bunch of trucks as well for faulty steering.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's the same recall as the one they had for the 01 f series, they finally expanded it to all of the affected vehicles.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
It's the same recall as the one they had for the 01 f series, they finally expanded it to all of the affected vehicles.

I punched in my Vin# and nothing came up. 2000 Mountaineer. Yet 2000 Mountaineers were on a list of potentially effected vehicles. Guess Ford hasn't offically recalled them. Can the new part be purchased and replaced on your own? Do they make the aftermarket part for the mounty's? AND MOST IMPORTANT-is it only sold at Ford?
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
quote:

I punched in my Vin# and nothing came up. 2000 Mountaineer. Yet 2000 Mountaineers were on a list of potentially effected vehicles. Guess Ford hasn't offically recalled them. Can the new part be purchased and replaced on your own? Do they make the aftermarket part for the mounty's? AND MOST IMPORTANT-is it only sold at Ford?
It looks like Explorers and Mountaineers was left off the list for some reason. I'll bet that they will be added at some point. Right now, according to the recall notice, there are no parts available, and we are just supposed to unplug the deactivation switch and tape it up until parts do become available.
If it were my ride, I would look at it 2 ways: if I used the cruise control a lot, I would check the connector for fluid once a week. If I didn't use it much, I would unplug it, and tape the end up.

I doubt that the aftermarket will have the switch.

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
Toyota just recalled a bunch of trucks as well for faulty steering.

its the ball joints,believe me I know. [dance]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

It looks like Explorers and Mountaineers was left off the list for some reason. I'll bet that they will be added at some point. Right now, according to the recall notice, there are no parts available, and we are just supposed to unplug the deactivation switch and tape it up until parts do become available.
If it were my ride, I would look at it 2 ways: if I used the cruise control a lot, I would check the connector for fluid once a week. If I didn't use it much, I would unplug it, and tape the end up.

I doubt that the aftermarket will have the switch.

My wife drives it most the time and never uses cruise. I use cruies almost everytime I drive it but can do without it. I tried to watch the video but it wont work at work...can someone post a photo of the switch to unplug and tape back please. We are parking the mounty outside until I can tape back the switch. THANKS!!! [patriot]
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

I found out that the reason that they haven't recalled your model is that the switch is only powered up with the key on. All of the recall vehicles have a constant 12 volts to the switch.

I'll try to post a pic later, but it is the switch on the front of the master cylinder.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Got it,...I know the switch your talking about.

On the recalled vehicles what are they doing to fix it? Replacing the switch with one like mine where it only powers on when the power is on or are they putting something there to prevent the fluid from leaking onto the switch?

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
On the recalled vehicles what are they doing to fix it?

From the FA:

Ford said to fix the problem it will install a "fused wiring harness between the speed control deactivation switch and the speed control mechanism of the affected vehicles."

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
quote:
On the recalled vehicles what are they doing to fix it?

From the FA:

Only if the vehicle comes in and the switch is NOT leaking. If the switch IS leaking, the switch gets replaced and the harness installed. If there are signs of heat damage to the connector and/or wiring,then we get to call Ford for instructions.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com