Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Who puts in Roll cages? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who puts in Roll cages?
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow lol thanks, anyways, the roll bar comes painted black but I plan on adding padding, also does anyone know if the kit comes with the extra plates to "create" the sandwich?
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9Venom9:
Wow lol thanks, anyways, the roll bar comes painted black but I plan on adding padding, also does anyone know if the kit comes with the extra plates to "create" the sandwich?

the mm roll bar does come with everything needed to complete the install parts wise, including the sandwhich plates, minus the wedler anyway, you still have to weld the rear bars to the top of the main hoop, they have bolts but that is not nhra legal

the mm bar comes painted black, mine didnt [Frown]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I was told it was painted black, either way, I still plan on padding it so if I have to I will take a can of spray paint to it!

So would it be right to bolt in the rear bars to the main hoop then weld it in?

[ September 08, 2005, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: 9Venom9 ]

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i welded mine first, then i added the bolts for ADDED support. just to be on the safe side. that is the only reason.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
well I was told it was painted black, either way, I still plan on padding it so if I have to I will take a can of spray paint to it!

Yes, use the bolts to align the down bars, then weld it in place.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
i welded mine first, then i added the bolts for ADDED support. just to be on the safe side. that is the only reason.

marek

If the weld is worth its weight in gold then the bolts are pointless. If there is any question on if the welds are strong enough, then you don't want that person welding the bar. You trust your life with it, don't f--- around, be 100% in it or go home.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
quote:

Yes, use the bolts to align the down bars, then weld it in place.
Thanks! [patriot]
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

marek

If the weld is worth its weight in gold then the bolts are pointless. If there is any question on if the welds are strong enough, then you don't want that person welding the bar. You trust your life with it, don't f--- around, be 100% in it or go home.
man! you think you know everything dont you! haha

[ September 09, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Mach0ne351 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After seeing the MM bar in my 93, I honestly believe there is no need to weld it. It is SO tight in the car it's crazy. They really did their homework in designing these.
Also, keep in mind it's a roll BAR, not cage. If you were to actually roll the car, it's not going to matter if it was welded or bolted in...it will push through the floor pan with enough force.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
After seeing the MM bar in my 93, I honestly believe there is no need to weld it. It is SO tight in the car it's crazy. They really did their homework in designing these.
Also, keep in mind it's a roll BAR, not cage. If you were to actually roll the car, it's not going to matter if it was welded or bolted in...it will push through the floor pan with enough force.

but its welded anyway [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, ok, the rear bars are...but that's so it's legal. [Razz]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Ok, ok, the rear bars are...but that's so it's legal. [Razz]

so i take it you got the belt situation figured out, if not give me a call, i dont have another wrap around belt
but i do have a floor mount if you want to hold off on modifying your bars

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
quote:
quote:

marek

man! you think you know everything dont you! haha
No I don't. It's common sence.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

it's common sense that more support is always better. [Roll Eyes]

haha this is getting to the point where it seems a lot of peeps in here would consider bolted-in subframe connectors would be sufficent enough hahaha [worship]

[ September 09, 2005, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Mach0ne351 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com