Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Who puts in Roll cages? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who puts in Roll cages?
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am about to pick up a MM 6point witht he swing out doors for the Cobra and the only price I am getting is $650 and thats with interior already out......any better deals out there?
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
umm, i might be able to hook you up with my friend steven who installed mine.

give him a call. Steven Klemoksi of SKFabrication
1.650.387.7300. he might give you a better deal. let him know i told you to call him. his shop is located off Marsh Road in Menlo Park.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey you were going to give me a prive for a 6 point from Hanes racing....PM me a price.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL. Find a new place Craig. The entire purpose of a MM bar is so you don't have to PULL the WHOLE interior out. The bar runs $399 w/ swingouts...after tax and shipping, mine was $500 to my door.
Two welds are required for the whole thing, the rest is bolt-in...drill 24 holes, cut two for the back bars, you're done. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
LOL. Find a new place Craig. The entire purpose of a MM bar is so you don't have to PULL the WHOLE interior out. The bar runs $399 w/ swingouts...after tax and shipping, mine was $500 to my door.
Two welds are required for the whole thing, the rest is bolt-in...drill 24 holes, cut two for the back bars, you're done. [Big Grin]

Yea I was prices $380 for the 6 point from LivermorePerformance, but was told to make it NHRA legal it had to be welded in.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, two welds on the rear bar. That's it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so they charge 75 for delivery, i could charge 40 and make some decent money [Big Grin]

by that i mean i live in fairfield and san luis obispo, my house in SLO is under 2 miles from MM's shop [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and it is very easy to put it in

you need a drill and very basic hand tools to do the install, and something to cut plastic interior panels

you need to have two joints welded, a welding shop will do it for about $40

or bring it to me and i will do it for $10

the welding takes literally 5 minutes or less

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for NASA, SCCA and NHRA, the main hoop needs to be welded to the chassis. just having spot welds here and there wont cut it for the tech inspectors. bolt and weld the puppy down.

-

marek

[ September 07, 2005, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Mach0ne351 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 03, 2006, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BigBoyRacing.com

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twstd5.4:
BigBoyRacing.com

No offense, but hell no! Way over priced, and the work I saw, I wouldn't trust my life with it.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Craig, if you can't find someone, we can do it for you.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Well I know when I get it, I can get the kit in and bolted down, just need someone to spot weld for me.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Well I am sure we can do it. Let me know and we will make it happen.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
quote:
Originally posted by twstd5.4:
BigBoyRacing.com

No offense, but hell no! Way over priced, and the work I saw, I wouldn't trust my life with it.
None taken...as long as it passes Tech, I'm ok with it.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
talk to Patrick (guy with red 03 cobra)
His friends have a performance shop in hayward. i'm sure they can give you a reasonable price. [patriot]

[ September 08, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Jim Harris. His number is 1-650-464-2452. He has done a whole bunch of work on my 'Junkyard Dog' as well as many other racers. He does quality work at great prices with great turnaround time.

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

to correct machone351's statement

for nhra the main hoop does not have to be welded to the floor to pass nhra tech

for the others i have no clue, but for drag racing, bolting it to the floor is fine, as long as the plate is 6x6 and minimum 1/8 thick, plus four 3/8 bolts per plate

this is way the mm bar is setup, and will pass tech to 10.00 with the welded in seatbelt bar

having a rollbar custom built is optimum, but a days worth of your labor, a few hours and beers for a buddy to help you get the cage in and out of the car a few times, and $500, you cant go wrong

because you get swing outs, you get a bent rear setbelt bar that allows the seat to recline farther for street cruising, it will fit great, it will not take a chassis shop a week to do, etc

these roll bars can be completely installed without paint, do all the fitting, pull it out, paint it or powder coat it, and then reinstall

yes i said powder coat [worship]

painting a roll bar in the car is a pain the butt, i am painting a roll cage in my (or vpr klrs notch??) coupe tommorrow, the whole car has to taped off, the glass was pulled, and is stripped, no fun [Frown]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

hmm interesting. well, for SCCA and NASA regulations, the cage needs to be welded down. who wants to rely on BOLTS on keeping the cage attached to the chassis?? not I...that's for sure.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
hmm interesting. well, for SCCA and NASA regulations, the cage needs to be welded down. who wants to rely on BOLTS on keeping the cage attached to the chassis?? not I...that's for sure.

marek

the bolts hold the roll bar to floor on top, and a 6x6 plate on bottom, like a sandwhich with the floor as the meat [Big Grin]

to rip the cage from the floor it would have to be ripped out with it, the grade 8 bolts are stronger than the sheet metal floor by far

now welding it to the floor and to the rocker box would be ideal, thay would actualy be easy with the mm kit to do, but again, not needed by the rules

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:

marek

Not correct on the NASA rules

15.6.3 Installation
The cage may be removable or may be permanently welded, or any combination
thereof, providing that all aspects of the cage meet these rules.

15.6.6 Main Hoop
The main roll cage hoop shall be as wide as the full width of the interior and must be as
close to the roof as possible without violating CCR section #15.6.2 Inspection. One
continuous length of roll bar tubing shall be used as the main hoop. The main hoop
must consist of not more than four (4) bends maximum, totaling one hundred eighty
(180) degrees +/- ten (10) degrees.

No where it says anything about having to be welded to the floor. It is reccomend, though not said in the rules. But a bolt in, is still legal.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:

marek

the bolts hold the roll bar to floor on top, and a 6x6 plate on bottom, like a sandwhich with the floor as the meat [Big Grin]
to rip the cage from the floor it would have to be ripped out with it, the grade 8 bolts are stronger than the sheet metal floor by far

now welding it to the floor and to the rocker box would be ideal, thay would actualy be easy with the mm kit to do, but again, not needed by the rules

This is very true. Basically, any design that doesn't tie the subframes, frame and rollbar or the rollbar and rear bulkhead together, basically in a roll "WILL" punch holes through the floor of the car. Plates and all.

[ September 08, 2005, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

when i was racing with NASA, they mentioned that cages needed to be welded down. interesting how their rules say differently. it is best to weld and bolt the cage down.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
when i was racing with NASA, they mentioned that cages needed to be welded down. interesting how their rules say differently. it is best to weld and bolt the cage down.

marek

if the cage is welded then bolts wont do sqaut, unless i am missing something

when welded fully around the floor plate, the bolts farther center on the plate with just be holding on a floor that is already fully supported by the welds, does that make sense or am i just talking dumb because i just deiced to pull an all nighter to be ready for the 10th

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com