Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mustang 5.0 engine into an '95 F150

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mustang 5.0 engine into an '95 F150
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all...I have a 1995 F150 with a 5.0L in it. For that year, they changed the 5.0L in those to the 351 firing order...13726548. I need to put a new engine in mine and was wondering if the Mustang 5.0L would work. I don't see why not, same firing order, basically same bottom end. I'm thinking the only things different, and i'll swap them out, are the oil pan and upper/lower intake. Not sure what heads are on my truck now but they can't be that much different than the e7's. I'm not sure if they used a different cam in the truck motor for more torque or not, but I would think the Mustang motor would be comparable. I'm sure my truck computer would handle it since it's basically the same as long as I keep the same intake and air/fuel setup.

I'm about to buy a Mustang 5.0L HO but wanted to get your thoughts before doing it.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The shortblock itself should be fine, but things I'd look at would be the imbalance for swapping the flexplate/flywheel, and likely need to swap all of the front belt accessories and maybe timing cover.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea, thanks for that thought about the front belt accessories.
I will be hooking up a 4R70W (current automatic transmission) to it so I assume I'll be transferring everything associated with that.
Before install, I'll change out the rear main just for piece of mind...and any other preventative maintenance items I can think of. I'll have to look at my '93 Mustang to see if the oil dipstick plugs into the block in the same location. I assume it does.

[ November 04, 2011, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Marks93 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com