Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 LUG CONVERSION PROBLEM !!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 LUG CONVERSION PROBLEM !!!!!
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just finished the 5 lug conversion on my 91 and I tried pushing the car foward(has no radiatior) by myself and car wouldnt budge. Had the get the neighbor to help and we were just able to move it forward a little bit.

Fired up the car and let off the clutch, car will not move and the rear break lights are on. Is there an adjustment when installing a SN95 booster?

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91redmustang:
Just finished the 5 lug conversion on my 91 and I tried pushing the car foward(has no radiatior) by myself and car wouldnt budge. Had the get the neighbor to help and we were just able to move it forward a little bit.

Fired up the car and let off the clutch, car still will not move and the rear break lights are on. Is there an adjustment needed to the brake pedal when installing a SN95 booster?

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you do the full disc conversion? If so.... Disconnect the rearcbrake cake and see if the car moves. May be the cable routing you chose. Causing too much binding inside the park brake cable housing. This keeps the brake engaged. Found this issue on a couple diy customer projects. Gl
* Northracecar rear caliper brackets needed also*

[ October 30, 2011, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: dvuspny ]

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the stock drum proportioning valve is setup for drum brakes, which means that it will always retain a little bit of pressure to the rear.

gut your stock proportioning valve and run a inline adjuster

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What axles are you using? Check your rotor to make sure your not hitting the caliper bridge.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Maybe I should add more info.. have a wilwood adjustable PV and the MM 3-2 Port conversion and FMS plug. 13 rotors/cobra calipers w/ss lines and 11.65 cobra rotors/sn95 calipers w/stock lines and ranger axles.

Have the thinner pads, correct E brake cables with the welded handle. I was able to move the car prior to bleeding the brakes. What would cause the rear brake lines to be on though?

[ October 29, 2011, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: 91redmustang ]

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you do the full disc conversion? If so.... Disconnect the rearcbrake cake and see if the car moves. May be the cable routing you chose. Causing too much binding inside the park brake cable housing. This keeps the brake engaged. Found this issue on a couple diy customer projects. Gl
*even with ranger axles you will need the Northracecar brackets for proper caliper positioning.*

[ October 30, 2011, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: dvuspny ]

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

quote:
Originally posted by dvuspny:

Ill give thhis a try....
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think your gonna need to run the sn95 axles, if Im not mistaken. Im pretty sure they are a tad bit longer that the fox/ranger shafts. Im gonna bet your rotor is hitting the inside of your caliper bride. By bolting your wheels down it will push that rotor against the caliper

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check to see if one of your calipers are sticking. common problem

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you adjust the booster rod correctly? having it too far out means the master cylinder will be engaged

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
I think your gonna need to run the sn95 axles, if Im not mistaken. Im pretty sure they are a tad bit longer that the fox/ranger shafts. Im gonna bet your rotor is hitting the inside of your caliper bride. By bolting your wheels down it will push that rotor against the caliper

Need to run ranger axles.. have 18x10 w/305 DR tires otherwise the wheels will stick out.

quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:

just waiting on my brother to bring over his jack so I can start messing with the car.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
did you adjust the booster rod correctly? having it too far out means the master cylinder will be engaged

think this might be my problem.

[ October 29, 2011, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: 91redmustang ]

NightmareB4Xmas_68
¯
Member # 6371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NightmareB4Xmas_68  Ford pictures for NightmareB4Xmas_68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ October 29, 2011, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: BrokenDownNotch ]

--------------------
One day it'll get finished

Posts: 827 | From: OAKLAND,CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
NightmareB4Xmas_68
¯
Member # 6371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NightmareB4Xmas_68  Ford pictures for NightmareB4Xmas_68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im gonna bet your rotor is hitting the inside of your caliper bride. By bolting your wheels down it will push that rotor against the caliper [/qb][/QUOTE]Need to run ranger axles.. have 18x10 w/305 DR tires otherwise the wheels will stick out.

thats a neg. i have 96 axles. u use the 05 and up offset. i have a 96 rear wit a 18x10 295 rear tire and its flush with the fender well... as far as the brakes go my guess would be the caliper on the rotor as well when the wheels got bolted down... gl

quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:

just waiting on my brother to bring over his jack so I can start messing with the car.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:

think this might be my problem. [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
One day it'll get finished

Posts: 827 | From: OAKLAND,CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what rear axle brackets are you using? I run northracecars.com brackets for cobra 11.65" discs with fox-length 5 lug axles and it works perfectly.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jack up a corner at a time and try to turn that wheel

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com