Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03-04 Cobra Whipple Question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03-04 Cobra Whipple Question?
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a few people on this board have Whippled and Kenne Bell Cobras. I wanted to know what your supporting mods/ Combo is and how much power you make. I was wonderign how hard it is to see 600rwhp or above with 91 octane gas. Also, I was wondering if anyone has the new 2.9 Whipple on their car and what others thoughts or opinions are about that blower. thanks! [patriot]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
I know a few people on this board have Whippled and Kenne Bell Cobras. I wanted to know what your supporting mods/ Combo is and how much power you make. I was wonderign how hard it is to see 600rwhp or above with 91 octane gas. Also, I was wondering if anyone has the new 2.9 Whipple on their car and what others thoughts or opinions are about that blower. thanks! [patriot]

hands down go kennebell mammoth. < she's huge!

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:
quote:

hands down go kennebell mammoth. < she's huge!
From what I have "seen" Whipples make better power then Kenne Bell's also, bigger is not 'always" better for a street car..

--------------------

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call aed or pm 93pony

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68gtscode  Ford pictures for 68gtscode    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with the post above, give AED a call when you're serious about getting the work done and they can sort everything out. They installed a Whipple 2.3 on my car and I was very impressed with their quality of work and how my car turned out. That said, I think they'll also recommend a Whipple 2.3 for your application. The 2.3 with a 3.5" upper will be good for pump gas, and a 2.75" upper is appropriate for 100 octane. You will need to upgrade your pulleys, fuel system (PPRV delete, FPDM, GT pumps, matched 60 pound injectors), throttle body, and intake. You will probably want them to perform the head cooling mod and possibly upgrade your input shaft and clutch. You will also want to install an quality x pipe and cat back. AED did all this to my car, as well as an electric water pump. It passes emissions, and driveability is better than stock. It makes a little over 550 on 91 and 620 on 100 through stock manifolds. Shawn is a very intelligent tuner, and doesn't like to tune high boost on 91 like some of the other guys around. Good luck with your project.
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

thanks for the advice everybody. Me and Shawn are not exactly the "best of friends" though lol!

--------------------

68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68gtscode  Ford pictures for 68gtscode    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
thanks for the advice everybody. Me and Shawn are not exactly the "best of friends" though lol!

Figure out a way to make friends... AED is the best shop in Norcal.
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

why is that?
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by Mach916:
quote:

why is that?
long story not even worth the drama of bringing up.. besides, im over it anyway

--------------------

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Friends or not..it is a business deal. There is nothing personal and the work to be done is being paid for so no shop should treat you any differently. Jeez..you guys both love mustangs..now you have something in common....shake hands..get over it..think happy-happy thoughts...get the work done..and you will be both happy:)
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock fuel pumps, stock injectors, stock MAF, stock FPDM...2.3 Whipple with the stock pulleys. 553rwhp. I drive it nearly every day, no issues. Just did a 1150 mile road trip with it and knocked down 22.6 mpg...and all speeds were above 80mph. To say I'm happy is a understatement. [Cool]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Stock fuel pumps, stock injectors, stock MAF, stock FPDM...2.3 Whipple with the stock pulleys. 553rwhp. I drive it nearly every day, no issues. Just did a 1150 mile road trip with it and knocked down 22.6 mpg...and all speeds were above 80mph. To say I'm happy is a understatement. [Cool]

553rwhp huh? thats pretty good! especially with all the stock stuff u have. im trying to gather more info on the 2.9 to see if it's worth the xtra few hundred bucks. i would like to hit 600rwhp or so on 91 if possible. i have 60lb injectors, bap, bigger maf etc already on the car.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The heads have a "light" port, so I'm sure it helps a little. Car was tuned the beginning of 09 and hasn't been touched since. Stock H pipe as well.

If you've got the supporting pieces, why not find a cheap used 2.3? You'll make 600+ on pump gas, with the right tune and pulley combo.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
The heads have a "light" port, so I'm sure it helps a little. Car was tuned the beginning of 09 and hasn't been touched since. Stock H pipe as well.

If you've got the supporting pieces, why not find a cheap used 2.3? You'll make 600+ on pump gas, with the right tune and pulley combo.

The main reason I don"t buy a used whipple is because with my luck i would end up getting something broke lol! Plus most of the ones for sale are out of state and i hear of waaay to many stories of people gettin ripped off so i am a little leary. Whenever "possible" I prefer to buy new parts. especially when they are high dollar items. I'll buy either a 2.9 or 2.3 next week. Everyone i have spoken too has very limited or no info on the 2.9 since it is so new.

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Black Guy, if it was me I would never do 600RWHP with 91 Octane

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

553rwhp huh? thats pretty good! especially with all the stock stuff u have. im trying to gather more info on the 2.9 to see if it's worth the xtra few hundred bucks. i would like to hit 600rwhp or so on 91 if possible. i have 60lb injectors, bap, bigger maf etc already on the car.
i hope u can make 600rw with a whipple...lol johns numbers are impressive considering his low boost and stock parts but i already put down 521rw old combo with my eaton, i just now got my 60s and longtubes n more boost..looking for 550 now..still with eaton..meth 600 i hope..when ur ready call me and ill give u best price on whipple and if u want best price on install and tune..

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

i'm thinking that if i got a 2.9 whipple it would take less boost to make 600or more rwhp and negate the need to run race fuel. does the need for race fuel depend on the power level or amount of boost u run or both?

--------------------

SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

i'm thinking that if i got a 2.9 whipple it would take less boost to make 600or more rwhp and negate the need to run race fuel. does the need for race fuel depend on the power level or amount of boost u run or both?
both! mostly boost though...called and talked with whipple today and they say the 2.9 will make 35-40 more rwhp than the 2.3 at the same boost level and lower IAT temps...2.9 is the way to go..im thinking about saving for one now too! finally a blower inbetween the 2.3 and 3.4..been waiting for this for some time now!

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I have seen more than a few 600rwhp 91 octane combos on these cars. If the blower Is efficient and you can move the air without high IAT temps then why wouldn't you?
Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
600RWHP is about 700HP at the motor with a manual transmission, thats alot of HP to ask pump gas to support, regardless of boost. You would to have like no timing in the tune to keep it somewhat safe to run. Why wouldnt you want to run race gas? So much to benefit from it, more timing can be added at less boost to make power. Example there is a guy on theturboforums.com who has a similar setup to my Coupe but doesnt want to run gas, and he couldnt get it to make into the 9s or my same MPH. So whats he do he puts a bigger turbo and now he is in the 9s but he could have done it with the same turbo but with more timing and race gas. So now I am waiting for him to post up he blew a headgasket with his pump gas as he plays with his timing.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can dig it. Race gas definitely provides a measure of safety over pump. Just having "seen" 91 octane combos that are running strong at 600rwhp i wouldnt want anything less if i were to spend the money on a whipple. We will see if i get there once i get mine. I will see how East Bay 50's turns our first
Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the kennebell charger, they also feature A new liquid cooled model, lowers air charge, oil, and supercharger temps. up too 200*

WE ALL know that cooler is better.

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com