Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Huge exhaust leak

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Huge exhaust leak
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At first I thought it would be the header to H pipe. I checked and tightened that connection. Nope. Then I pop the hood and it sounds like the header to motor. Could this just be the header gasket? If so, anybody wanna tackle this for a 95 GT? Lookin for cheap labor. I looked at the bolts and it would not be easy to get to. Luckily it is just the driver side. Passenger side looks burried. Sounds like an exhaust leak that is hella loud. I drove to work today and it started to get louder and louder. It did not affect performance at all so I figured it was just the exhaust? Anybody have any experience with this before. I think I heard of the gaskets blowing out. I have the gasket but need somebody to hook it up for me. I think I have most of the tools to get it out.

[ September 01, 2009, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: 95GTConvtACE ]

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
510_SVT
¯
Member # 8705

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510_SVT  Ford pictures for 510_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try lifting the car in the air and get to the bolts from the bottom

--------------------
/96 Cobra/
//87' LX h.c.i//

Posts: 1306 | From: 510EastBay | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its really not hard to do if you have the tools

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 510svt:
Try lifting the car in the air and get to the bolts from the bottom

Yeah, I did that for the H pipe, so I guess I can go higher for the Headers. I remember somebody saying that you might have to pull the motor a bit. Not sure though, because I have never changed my headers. Hell, maybe I should just get new Shortys while I am at it.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL, same shit just happened to me on Friday. it started out as a small tick, on my way home it sounded like i was driving a Bi-plane. I didnt know much, i just jumped into it. Pretty easy with basic hand tools.

1. jack up the car take of 2 bolts from h pipe to header.
2. remove air intake all the way to the tb
3. remove spark plug wires & spark plugs.
4. remove rubber smog lines, only 2 or 3 hose clamps
5. remove 8 header bolts.
6. remove header all the way
7. scrap old gasket off with putty knife, sand with 400 grit sand paper for a clean surface.
8. reverse step 1 - 7

it took me about 3 hours & a 6 pack and I am far from being a "mechanic". its only nuts & bolts. You will probably save yourself atleast $200.

good luck!

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bring it by my place in Rocklin and I'll hook it up for you. I'll make sure its one right and at a fair price, no janky ghetto repairs here [patriot]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might as well throw a set of headers on it now.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
Bring it by my place in Rocklin and I'll hook it up for you. I'll make sure its one right and at a fair price, no janky ghetto repairs here [patriot]

PM sent.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit i had to do mine twice within a few months. Learned how to do it myself and be quick about it. Its a pain, but youll learn.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

quote:
Originally posted by bottled95GT??:
shit i had to do mine twice within a few months. Learned how to do it myself and be quick about it. Its a pain, but youll learn.

What did you have to take off to get to it? Did you get at if from below or above?

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com