Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2.3 oil pressure problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2.3 oil pressure problem
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, new problem with my daughters car. 93 4 cyl Mustang. After putting the motor in the oil pressure seemed off, kinda on the low side but would drop off to almost nothing but it was running fine and quiet so I figured it was the sending unit. Today she came over and the engine was making a ton of lifter noise. I changed the oil pressure sending unit and checked under the valve cover, everything looked normal. I restarted it and the gauge came up and the engine quieted down. I decided to change the oil and filer again even though the stuff in the car had only a hundred miles on it. Again, the engine ran fine then lost oil pressure and is making terrible noise. I'm at a loss now, short of pulling the motor and swapping the oil pump out is there any quirks that anyone knows about on these engines that can cause oil pressure to go south? Any help is appreciated..... I'm at the end of my rope on this car.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure what the issue is but beasty5.0 has a VERY nice motor/trans and harness he may part with out of his 93 2.3L 50K original mile car. A/C blows cold. He has the carfax and you can hear it run and drive!! It shows a true 50K you wont believe it.

PM him if you find out the motor is toast.

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Relief spring in the oil pump is toast. As soon as it heats up, it collapses...and bam, no oil pressure. Either swap the motor (if it has extended run time on it without oil pressure) or play your cards and swap the pump.

I'd go with choice 1.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I changed the pump and screen this morning and its running great. The pickup was plugged with old gasket crap. I cleaned out the pan and put in fresh oil so its all good now.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
dubfive-0
¯
Member # 8965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dubfive-0  Ford pictures for dubfive-0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
I changed the pump and screen this morning and its running great. The pickup was plugged with old gasket crap. I cleaned out the pan and put in fresh oil so its all good now.

[Whoo Whooooo!] [patriot]

--------------------
1966 FALCON futura (sports coupe)
1991 five-0

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com