Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » stuck in third gear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: stuck in third gear
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was towing my 50. my car was perfectly fine before. it drove on to the dolly ok and i turned it off and put in neutral. it got towed 200 miles before we noticed that the car was running while it was moving because the rear wheels were planted to the floor and it was being towed. it burned alot of oil and was smoking and was stuck in 3rd gear when i started it. i had to disconnect the driveshaft to continue towing it. so basically the engine was turning in third gear and was getting up to speeds around 70mph and was doing this for 200 miles. could there be any engine damage from this?? car had sufficient oil and did not overheat. any idea why it would be stuck in third??? any solutions?? its still on the dolly waiting to be dropped.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man how the fuck did u do that? [Confused]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CALIFORNIAGT:

I know, i fucked up. I dont know how the hell it was stuck in gear because the shifter would move side to side tho so i thought it was iight. i just hope it is still healthy once i start driving it again

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes you could have major problems, even though there was oil in it there was no oil pressure because the oil pump wouldn't be running, your rockers, cam etc were running with no oil. also your pistons were moving up and down with no fuel.

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
90_STANG015
¯
Member # 8990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90_STANG015  Ford pictures for 90_STANG015    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn that really fuckin sucks

--------------------
RAIDER NATION

1990 GT (SOLD)
1988 LX DROP (SOLD)
1989 4 cyl Coupe (sold)
1998 SVT COBRA (SOLD)
1992 LX DROP
1994 GT
1995 Impala SS

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:
yes you could have major problems, even though there was oil in it there was no oil pressure because the oil pump wouldn't be running, your rockers, cam etc were running with no oil. also your pistons were moving up and down with no fuel.

It's a mechanical oil pump...linked to the camshaft via a oil pump driveshaft and turned by the end of the distributor. It would have oil pressure even if it's not running.

It's stuck in gear not because of it running, but because you obviously towed it in gear. With the transmission being elevated, it was not lubricated properly. Hopefully you let it cool down, drained the trans fluid, and it should come out of gear. If not, there's a Ford Sale section...put up a want ad.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:

It's a mechanical oil pump...linked to the camshaft via a oil pump driveshaft and turned by the end of the distributor. It would have oil pressure even if it's not running.

It's stuck in gear not because of it running, but because you obviously towed it in gear. With the transmission being elevated, it was not lubricated properly. Hopefully you let it cool down, drained the trans fluid, and it should come out of gear. If not, there's a Ford Sale section...put up a want ad.

yeah i did stop and disconnected the drive shaft. drained fliud and continued towing. now i am waiting on some free time to put in the fluid to see if it is ok. the oil was pumping so i did not really worry about that. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CALIFORNIAGT:

+1 wtf!! [Eek!] [Confused] [Confused]
Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com