Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ticking Noise On my 2v 4.6l Motor(Help please)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ticking Noise On my 2v 4.6l Motor(Help please)
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92sleeperGT  Ford pictures for 92sleeperGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So the problem started about a month ago.
I was on my way home from work on the freeway going about 75 mph when all of a suden my car turned off on me out of know were.iI managed to get to the side of the road,i tried turning the car on but i dint even get a crank.

I ended up towing my car to the house were i started to look for anything odd cuz i dint have no idea what could be wrong.

Well when i check the oil stick i had no dam oil on the motor when i just got done doing the oil change 2 weeks before
I also discoverd that the last spark plug on the far end on the pasanger side was completly smashed.My guess is it must of spun a rod bearing?

The only weired thing is that i added 5 corts of 10w40 sethetic blend oil and another spark plug to replace the smashed on And my car started right up no problem.It idles fine and runs ok a little rough only in between 45 to 55 mph.but ether then that it runs good on the freeway at 75 mph.

THE PROBLEM: If i rev it up passing 3k rmp i hear a little ticking noise coming out the pasager side?
If i rev it to higher then 3k rmp as soon as it idles down it starts mis firing alot! But i turn the car of and turn it on again it idles fine again

I am so confused and dont know what i ned to fix?
is it something to do with the heads or block?

ill try to post a video up soon help me out If you had this problem before or if you might know what the problem is...Thanks guys [Smile]

[ August 14, 2009, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: 97sleeperGT ]

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

Posts: 718 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
jareds98gt
¯
Member # 7701

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jareds98gt  Ford pictures for jareds98gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
plug wires??? coil packs??

--------------------
1997 Saleen S281 #192

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its your block, i had a 98gt and the stock rods are complete trash! anyways you probably have a spun bearing.

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that my friend is called a bomb, you are not makin past security in an airport!!!! dont cut the red wire kaqboooolewzy

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92sleeperGT  Ford pictures for 92sleeperGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rollin5ive0:
that my friend is called a bomb, you are not makin past security in an airport!!!! dont cut the red wire kaqboooolewzy

wtf? [Frown]

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 97sleeperGT:
quote:

wtf? [Frown]
he means your motor is on its last leg, its only a matter of time before the motor blows completely or knocks till the point that its undrivable. get a used motor try to get one out of an 03/04 gt because the bottom ends are stronger then the pre 02's or rip the block apart and toss in forged internals or someone is selling a teksid block buy it those things can handle over 1000hp with forged internals

[ August 26, 2009, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: kennebellgt ]

--------------------

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:
quote:
Originally posted by 97sleeperGT:
quote:

wtf? [Frown]
he means your motor is on its last leg, its only a matter of time before the motor blows completely or knocks till the point that its undrivable. get a used motor try to get one out of an 03/04 gt because the bottom ends are stronger then the pre 02's or rip the block apart and toss in forged internals or someone is selling a teksid block buy it those things can handle over 1000hp with forged internals
There is no difference in the 03/04 GT bottom ends and the 02 and older versions. Cracked cap rods, Hypu pistons, etc...all the same. Only difference is between the Romeo/Windsor blocks, 6/8 bolt flywheels, and 11 or 13 valve cover bolts. [Smile]

You have a rod knock, plain and simple. Pick up the used shortblock Drew from AED is/was selling, swap your parts...or buy a new/used motor and be done.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

the thing is that my block is no longer ticking or knocking at all?it drives fine.

all i did was change the spark plugs and did a oil change...im so confused on whats going on but i drive it daily to work and to go out to and had no issues yet. [Confused]

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
False alarm???

Edit: Maybe you had a spark plug wire rear the boot arcing super hard???

[ August 28, 2009, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: blkfoxbody89 ]

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:
False alarm???

He ran it with no oil didnt know it till it was too late.

--------------------

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:
quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:
False alarm???

He ran it with no oil didnt know it till it was too late.
+1 if you run it with no oil the motor is toast. You run it and it shuts off the motor is extra fucked. I had an old VW years ago that sucked in a valve cover gasket and lost all the oil. It almost seized before I got it pulled over and shut off. After throwing oil back in it and fixing the gasket it started and ran ok..... I thought I dodged a bullet but 2 days later it started knocking bad. Point of the story: it starts and runs but will die quickly. Figure out where the oil went too so it doesn't happen again.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com