Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » alternator upgrade recomendations

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: alternator upgrade recomendations
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock alternator on my 93 gt took a shit and wanted to know what alternator to get. PA performance, powermaster, or the 3G. The 3g wiring looks complacated with the sodering. I have the march alternator bracket that has the tensioner connected to the top of the alternator, will the 3g fit?

[ June 11, 2007, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: illwill510 ]

Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure of the fitment issues but the do the 3g for sure, no better time. Worth it in the long run, in case u decide to do an electric fan, stereo, etc.

and it's very easy to do, if you don't want to saughter, use butt connectors and crimp. When I went to my first electric fan i over amped the wires going to my stock alternator and had them melt. kinda scarry but with the new 3g I put on the electric fan didn't even budge the amp meter inside the car. Even with the a/c on, beat turned up, msd, external fuel pump etc. and that was only the 130amp.

Plus if it goes bad for whatever reason and you picked one up from pep boys/ kragen, they have a lifetime warrentee.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by illwill510:
Stock alternator on my 93 gt took a shit and wanted to know what alternator to get. PA performance, powermaster, or the 3G. The 3g wiring looks complacated with the sodering. I have the march alternator bracket that has the tensioner connected to the top of the alternator, will the 3g fit?

yes the 3G will fit there, and the wiring is not complicated at all, just use a propane torch and some thick solder to make the connections off the car with a table vice, wont take you more than 15 minutes to do it all.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks, anyone want to help with the sodering?
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
bomrrman84
¯
Member # 7244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bomrrman84  Ford pictures for bomrrman84    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go to autozone or krahen and ask fo a 94-95 alternator. its the same as the 3g. you will have a 1 wire setup and its a 130 amp instead of the measly 75 you had bfore. and it internally cooled. ill give you the site with detailed instructions

--------------------
91' GT convertible 331 under construction
91' GT hatch daily driver

Posts: 93 | From: suisun city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bomrrman84:
just go to autozone or krahen and ask fo a 94-95 alternator. its the same as the 3g. you will have a 1 wire setup and its a 130 amp instead of the measly 75 you had bfore. and it internally cooled. ill give you the site with detailed instructions

actually it's about 4 or 5 wires...

[ June 15, 2007, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com