Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1 down 1 to go...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1 down 1 to go...
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2 questions:
1st question.ANSWERED
i looking into getting a new steering wheel becuase my stock 87 wheel looks like crap and the cushion that goes around the main hoop is falling apart, i was looking at some aftermaket wheels and they say for show or off road use only and cars with air bags need prof. install. my car doesnt have air bags so would i be able to put one on my car and cops not bother me about it?

2nd question.
im thinking about adding a a/f gauge to my car and the kits that i have looked at have a gauge and a o2 sensor, my friend has a spare a/f gauge in his garage, could i just buy a boshce(sp?) o2 sensor and plug it in? or would i have to have another o2 bung welded on to my prochamber so i would have 3 o2 sensors total? who has a a/f gauge on their car and how do you have it setip?

thanks in advance [patriot]

[ October 19, 2005, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Autometer a/f guages are just blinking LED lights that tap into your O2 sensors.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A steering wheel is easy to put on without and airbag. I believe it's 6 screw models that you can use. Grant, Momo makes adaptable ones for your car.

I had a Momo one for my old 'vert. I never got bothered by it when I got pulled over at all. Grant makes pretty good ones under $100. I have one on my Toyota truck and notchback.

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no law that says you can't take off your own airbag. Shops can't do it though. I have Grant wheels on both my stangs and it's no problem. You don't want an airbag anyway, they are dangerous.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright so the first ques has been answered, can anyone answer the second ques [Big Grin]
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess that you could, IF you know the right sensor to get. It may be a special one.
That said, I would say if you are going to get one of the "guages" that uses a narrow band sensor (like the stock one), your probably better off saving your money. They are only able to be accurate around stoich (generally between 13.5-1 and 15.5 to 1). If you really want one that will tell you useful information, your going to have to get a Wideband. These use their own sensor, so you have to have another bung welded in. (Easy). And they are accurate between 10-1 and 20-1. generally.
The downside is, they are more expensive.
Here's the one I am using. Here
This is their old version, but you get the idea....

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only problem w/ the A/F gauge, is that they're not always accurate. If you want the best, the Dyno-Jet Wide Band is the way to go. Be prepared to spend $ on it tho.

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

i have seen quite a few car have a INNOVATE MOTORSPORTS LM-1 WIDE BAND KIT, are these any good?
what is a cheap-accurate way to make a a/f setup? like is there is a special o2 sensor that i should use?

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
I would guess that you could, IF you know the right sensor to get. It may be a special one.
That said, I would say if you are going to get one of the "guages" that uses a narrow band sensor (like the stock one), your probably better off saving your money. They are only able to be accurate around stoich (generally between 13.5-1 and 15.5 to 1). If you really want one that will tell you useful information, your going to have to get a Wideband. These use their own sensor, so you have to have another bung welded in. (Easy). And they are accurate between 10-1 and 20-1. generally.
The downside is, they are more expensive.
Here's the one I am using. Here
This is their old version, but you get the idea....

I have the tech edge too. I even matched it up to my local dyno shops sideband during dyno pulls. It was right on. His dyno was only a month old when we checked it.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com