Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » motor running lean! cant fix with fuel pressure....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: motor running lean! cant fix with fuel pressure....
SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT Fox  Ford pictures for SVT Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im no expert on mild tuning at all so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I have an electric air/fuel guage hooked up to the single purple wire from the ECU. A very credible buddy did it this way, so I trust it was the right way. With my fuel pressure was at about 29 PSI, and the air/fuel guage never went in the rich area at all and would go off the guage deep in the red (lean) when coasting or idling. I bumped the fuel press up to 39 PSI and it no longer goes deep off the guage lean, but I still can not get it into deep green at wide open.

I have pro M shorty 80mm with 24# injectors, 70mm accufab race TB, timing I beleve is at 17 advance, (but i think my balencer may have slipped)

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The A/F gauge you have is complete crap and should NOT be used for any type of tuning. If you want to check your A/F using a gauge you will need a wideband 02 sensor and kit like the DynoJet Wideband Commander or Innovate LM-1.

You said at first your fuel pressure was at 29psi. Was that with the car idling and with the vacumn line attached to the regulator? You should have your fuel pressure set to 40psi with the vacumn line disconnected from the regulator and make sure to reattach the vacumn line after setting it. At idle/cruising your fuel pressure will be lower than 40psi but at WOT and should go to 40psi and stay there without dropping.

[ July 06, 2005, 14:38: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ditto on what Jeff S said..

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT Fox  Ford pictures for SVT Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys Ill do that in the morning, i wont even bother with the guage any more..

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would that mean the aem wideband a/f gauge isnt worth getting?

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no, a wideband is what you want.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so narrowband=bad, wide band=good

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

you got it

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

jordan0806
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also with 17 degrees of timing...you'll tend to get a lean condition as well....try the way CDT has told you but you might have to back timing off a slight tad to get it running a little richer....maybe around 15 degrees
:

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com