Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » tech question about gears

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: tech question about gears
yonkoo
¯
Member # 4964

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yonkoo  Ford pictures for yonkoo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i recently got 4.10 gears put in my 96 cobra. the car has an xpipe headers flows modified mass air pulley and a air filter. with my old gears my times were in the 13.7s and the top speeds were 102 to 103. wit the new gears my reaction times 60 foot times are the same but my top speed dropped to 98 miles and the best time i pulled was a 14.1....can anybody help me out???
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're shifting too late and going through the traps in 4th is doing nothing for you...

Just a guess though. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you just need more practice. a lot of people run slower times after gears at first

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

yonkoo
¯
Member # 4964

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yonkoo  Ford pictures for yonkoo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you thnk that i should be going through in third, and how come my top speed went down so much??? arent the gears supposed to do the opposite
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yonkoo:
do you thnk that i should be going through in third, and how come my top speed went down so much??? arent the gears supposed to do the opposite

You basically have to shift alot faster now to make up for the extra shift. Just takes practice.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what were you shifting at with the 13.7 run compared to the 14.1? what did you launch at? DR's? Street tires?

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com