Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Steeda CAI vs. K&N Typhoon CAI

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Steeda CAI vs. K&N Typhoon CAI
OhToGeeTee
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my GT, and the first mod I want on it is a CAI. Although, I can't decide between the Steeda or the Typhoon.

All posts are appreciated.

Thanks.

:
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a bbk cai. im happy with it. for a first mod i would suggest gears. cai doesnt help much, but looks nice.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

OhToGeeTee
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who could supply cam gears for my GT? I just looked on Steeda, and they don't have it.
:
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OhToGeeTee:
Who could supply cam gears for my GT? I just looked on Steeda, and they don't have it.

are you talking about cams for your heads?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

OhToGeeTee
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
quote:

are you talking about cams for your heads?
Err..let me rephrase that. I think he meant cam gears. Either that, or rear end gears.

Sorry for the confusion, but I also confused myself..

:
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sry, i meant rear end gears. 3.73's i love them.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just yank the silencer and throw in a K&N from Kragen ($40)

Then use the extra for gears or other mods (shifter/tires)

Unless you want the engine bay to look really nice...

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Blacked-out-GT
¯
Member # 2544

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacked-out-GT  Ford pictures for Blacked-out-GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I suggest going with gears first then a CAI. If you don't do much freeway driving go with 4.10s you won't regret it! [burnout] I have 3.73s only because I travel alot. I like them but wish I had 4.10s. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-built to run

Posts: 939 | From: Vacaville by way of Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bad just read your intro in the General sec. [Embarrassed]

It's an auto right? In that case gears for sure.

And welcome to the board!

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

OhToGeeTee
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 03 GT Guy:
Yeah I suggest going with gears first then a CAI. If you don't do much freeway driving go with 4.10s you won't regret it! [burnout] I have 3.73s only because I travel alot. I like them but wish I had 4.10s. [Big Grin]

I do nothing but freeway driving ever since I moved to Novato from Redwood City.

I'd love 4:10's, but 3:73's would justice. Besides, I can still eat those ricers with mods or not. [Cool]

:
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like the UPR or JLT cold air intakes. Also, if you are unsure about getting 4.10 gears you might want to look into getting Motive 3.90 gears.

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I can still eat those ricers with mods or not. [Cool]

funny you should say that, as whever someone says anything about cold air intakes I think to myself "ricer"

heh [Whoo Whooooo!] [dance]

fyi- the stock air intake is a cold air intake, as it draws air from the fender.

K&N filter in the stock box, remove the air silencer in the fender, upgrade the MAF and throttle body. Call your air intake mods done.

I second the gears as first mod, after that get sub frame connectors and drag radials in the rear [patriot]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
OhToGeeTee
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
quote:
I can still eat those ricers with mods or not. [Cool]

funny you should say that, as whever someone says anything about cold air intakes I think to myself "ricer"

heh [Whoo Whooooo!] [dance]

fyi- the stock air intake is a cold air intake, as it draws air from the fender.

K&N filter in the stock box, remove the air silencer in the fender, upgrade the MAF and throttle body. Call your air intake mods done.

I second the gears as first mod, after that get sub frame connectors and drag radials in the rear [patriot]

I'm not a ricer. Just asking for info, that's all. [Smile]

I think I'll go for the "bling factor" and get an aftermarket CAI, instead of modifying what is already there.

As for the rear end, where could I get this 3.90 and is there any modifcations I need to make to the rear end to make it fit, or does it just slide right in?

:
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.mustangtuning.com/motive390.html

You can get the install kit that goes with it. You don't have to but without it wherever you go to get the gears installed will charge more. I would just get it since it's $35...

--------------------

OhToGeeTee
unregistered

Will I need a locking differential as well?
:
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

You have one already, the stock "trac-loc." If for some reason you decide to get an Eaton or Auburn or something I will buy your stock one from you. Let me know...

--------------------

OhToGeeTee
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 1fast281:
You have one already, the stock "trac-loc." If for some reason you decide to get an Eaton or Auburn or something I will buy your stock one from you. Let me know...

Ohh..So I DO have posi. =P Which explains why the ass almost made me spin out today (it was fun [Big Grin] ).

Sure, I'll let you know. [Smile]

:
marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in all honesty i would be happy with just a K&N, cold air kits look good but bang for the buck a K&N is the way to go, plus the metal will warm up the air stock stays pretty cool.

1- Gears (3.73 0r 4.10)
2- K&N (remove silencer)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com