Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » spark plug gap? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: spark plug gap?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the spark plug gap need to change when install a zex nitrous kit on a 5.0? If so what is the best "gapage".
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Couple things you should do when installing nitrous.

1. Take spark plugs down a heat range. I run autolite 24's. No platinum or antything like that.
2. The gap should be a little smaller than stock. ~.040 I believe.
3. Retard your timing. Start at about 8 degrees and if it takes to that ok, slowly increase the timing, with a max of around 12 I would think.
4. Make sure your fuel system is up to par, ESPECIALLY IF YOURE USING A DRY KIT!!

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size shot will you be running?

--------------------
Support our troops!

jr5.0
¯
Member # 399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jr5.0  Ford pictures for jr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with 91 5.0
i have a zex kit. i went to .40 gap and colder plug range autolite 24. the only thing is don't have to retard the timing on a 75 shot just leave at the stock timing. and as for fuel system just make sure everything is running correctly. my fuel system is completely stock and my car seems to run rich with the kit.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I would run a little wider than .040".....Stock is .054, so I would try .045 first.... [patriot]

A little can of octane booster never hurt while running nitrous either...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

start at 75 up to 100 can go up to 125 but with the amount of miles on my car I doubt I'll put it up to 125.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dry or wet kit? I'd be a little nervous running even a 75 dry shot with a stock fuel system. I would at least get a bigger fuel pump and adjustable FPR. Sacrificing your motor for 75 hp isnt something you want to do. Save your money and do it right so you can enjoy that button. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

start at 75 up to 100 can go up to 125 but with the amount of miles on my car I doubt I'll put it up to 125.
Go with a Walbro 255 fuel pump to be safe. I used to run my plugs at.038 when I ran a 75 shot with 10 degrees of timing and auto lite 24's [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0:
Dry or wet kit? I'd be a little nervous running even a 75 dry shot with a stock fuel system. I would at least get a bigger fuel pump and adjustable FPR. Sacrificing your motor for 75 hp isnt something you want to do. Save your money and do it right so you can enjoy that button. [patriot]

Why would zex sell a wet kit and dry kit for the same car if one would reck the car and one wouldn't??? That doesn't make any sense. Or are you saying the dry is cool "IF" you have a better fuel pump and adjustable FPR. Whay if you have a wet kit do you 'not' need a better fuel pump and/or FPR?? [Confused]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

A wet kit injects nitrous and fuel, a dry kit only injects nitrous. Dry kits require the fuel system to be upgraded because there is no extra fuel being injected, that means the stock injectors and fuel pump and fpr have to be good enough to deliver ENOUGH fuel. Unfortunatly, 19 lb injectors and an 88lph fuel pump wont cut it.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
91 5.0~ You think that a small "dry" 75hp shot is still not safe for the stock fuel system?..

I'm sure upgrading the fuel pump will be good for a nitrous set up no matter what, but JDUB07 will be under 300rwhp on the 75shot of ZEX....

Even with retarded timming and octane booster/91+++ ocatane, 75 shot will still be too much?... [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
91 5.0~ You think that a small "dry" 75hp shot is still not safe for the stock fuel system?..

I'm sure upgrading the fuel pump will be good for a nitrous set up no matter what, but JDUB07 will be under 300rwhp on the 75shot of ZEX....

Even with retarded timming and octane booster/91+++ ocatane, 75 shot will still be too much?... [Confused]

So are you trying to say I have less than 225 hp as of right now?? [Frown] [Frown]
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Also will having a upgraded fuel pump interfear when it comes smog time? and same with the fpr?
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
at the wheels, yes
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
at the wheels, yes

I don't think so
CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I have the zex kit and have gone to the 125 shot with bosch plt. plugs. the only thing I did on the fuel system is change the pump to a walbro 190. No adj. FPR or bigger injectors. After a month of it that way I went to the one step colder autolite plugs. After the cam swap went down to the 100 shot cause most of the threads on the plug were turning blueish in color, which would indicate a very hot and lean condition. But when the car idles it smells like it is running super rich. Of course that might be due to the fact that I dont have any cats on the car either. Just follow the directions that come with the kit. And going to the step colder plug wont hurt either. Good luck and hope you enjoy the added power.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Also will having a upgraded fuel pump interfear when it comes smog time? and same with the fpr?

no, it wont do anything as far as smog goes.
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running the same ZEX nitrous kit with a 125 also, I am using 2 steps colder than stock motorcraft plugs. I got them from my local ford dealer, just ask them. And also retard your timing per the ZEX instrucion kits. Also you can go above 125 with ZEX! call them and speak with the engineers, they will tell u what # jet to run on the nitrous and fuel to bump it to for your desisred mix. They will highly reccomend. more fuel!
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Thanks for all the advise.
[patriot]

MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IS YOU KIT DRY OR WET?!?!?!?!?! CANT REALLY HELP UNLESS I KNOW.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:

I wouldnt even think about putting ANY type of power adder on a 5.0 without a bigger fuel pump. 88lph just does not cut it. I dont care if he has 250rwhp, I still wouldnt do it. Its worth it anyway, less than 200 bucks and you will actually see hp gains with the bigger pump. When I put my A-trim blower on my point, it had the stock fuel system and fuel pump. It ran super lean and had almost no power increase. when I put the 255 in it, it brought the car to life. It felt like It gained 50 hp just from being able to deliver more fuel. [Eek!] Plus, its safer. If you dont want to listen, dont. I assure you though, its money WELL SPENT!!

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:
quote:

So are you trying to say I have less than 225 hp as of right now?? [Frown] [Frown]
Depends. What mods do you have? If you trapped at 100mph, you prolly have close to 225 rwhp. Stock 5.0s usually dyno around 190 if they are stock. Also, if youre trappin at 100+ already, your fuel pump is already maxed out.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:

The pump is legal but the adjustable pressure regulator is not smog legal. Most places probably wont even look at the regualtor though. Its pretty well hidden.

[ July 23, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: 91 5.0 ]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:
Originally posted by CMELEVU:
Ok I have the zex kit and have gone to the 125 shot with bosch plt. plugs. the only thing I did on the fuel system is change the pump to a walbro 190. No adj. FPR or bigger injectors. But when the car idles it smells like it is running super rich.

bigger fuel pumps will not cause the car to run lean at idle. These cars have fuel return lines. The amount of fuel the combustion chamber sees is dependent on two things only.

1. Fuel pressure
2. The length of time the computer tells the injector to open.

Bigger fuel pumps will not effect the mixture as long as the pressure at the rails is the same, which the pump doesnt effect.

[ July 23, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: 91 5.0 ]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:
Originally posted by 1990GT50:
quote:

no, it wont do anything as far as smog goes.
AFPR's are not smog legal.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com