Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ? about G-load brace clearance

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ? about G-load brace clearance
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've fabricated a 2 point G-load brace (the one in Mustang Performance 2 by William R. Mathis) and I held it in place under the car, but it looks like if I welded it in place where it is supposed to be, if I ever try and do the AOD to T-5 swap, I may have a pretty huge problem getting any tranny in or out of there with the front crossmember in place. For those who havn't seen this book, the brace is a peice of steel that welds on to the lower lip of the rearmost bend on the front crossmember. if anyone here has used this brace, did you ever have a problem with tranny clearance?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt recommend welding the brace on...If your car is lowered(1.5"+) its gonna hit pretty often....I suggest bolting it in, that way you can remove it if you want....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used the MAximum Motorsports 4 point bolt in brace and hghly recommend it. At least convert yours to bolt on. You can get their install instructions off their site and see where it is bolted up and what hardware is used. No drilling was required.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well it wouldn't be hard to modify it for bolting in and I think that the cats hang lower than this brace does. The thing isn't more than 3/4" thick but my car isn't lowered anyway. Atleast not yet

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com