Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » diffrence between 373's and 390's?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: diffrence between 373's and 390's?
50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50PrNcEsSGT  Ford pictures for 50PrNcEsSGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to decide which gears to get the majority of people recomended 373s and a couple 390s...I have a 95 gt and its an automatic but I need to decide soon and I was just wondering if someone could explain what the diffrence really is and how it will effect the car. I have a pretty good commute everyday about 50 miles so if that makes a diffrence. Thanks!

--------------------
BUILD A BRIDGE ...AND GET OVER IT!!!!!!

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If ford has released 3.90s I would get them. But only if they are Ford Racing Ring and Pinon, some of the other brands seem to have issues and the setup isn't as easy. However with a 50 mile commute your might want to go with 3.73s, is your car a 5 speed? if so drive to work one day in 4th gear on the freeway, thats close to a 3.90, if that seems like way to much go for the 3.73s

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the freeway at 75 mph u will run 2500rpm wit hthe 3.73's
on the freeway at 75 mph u will run 2600rpm with the 3.90's

but since u have a auto both numbers will go up because of converter slip

but i say go with the 3.90 because u have an auto, 4.10's would be best but 4.10's with that commute would suck

will the 3.73's vs. the 3.90 u will probably not notice differnce at the track or on the freeway, either gear will be better than stock
[Big Grin] [patriot]

[ May 14, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
on the freeway at 75 mph u will run 2500rpm wit hthe 3.73's
on the freeway at 75 mph u will run 2600rpm with the 3.90's

but since u have a auto both numbers will go up because of converter slip

but i say go with the 3.90 because u have an auto, 4.10's would be best but 4.10's with that commute would suck

will the 3.73's vs. the 3.90 u will probably not notice differnce at the track or on the freeway, either gear will be better than stock
[Big Grin] [patriot]

Don't listen to him, get 4.56s and toast everyone off the line [Big Grin]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.90's for sure. But how fast are you actually going on your commute? Above 65mph? If not, I'd go for the 4.10's. I got a stickshift and 4.30's. I dont mind em [burnout]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50PrNcEsSGT  Ford pictures for 50PrNcEsSGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the guy at the place broke it down for me and thought I should get I want to say 353 but maybe it was 373( I know thats not good I dont remember but is there such thing as 353 n e ways) so he explained the whole rpm thing and about being on the freeway. I dropped it off this morning and went there after work he told me the things I needed to know and about driving with the new gears. Also he's getting me the ones from ford and told me after think it was 500 miles bring it back to him and he'll take all the metal off that came from the gears breaking in...N e ways to make a long story short dudes hella cool and is taking care of me and I know were to go for the rest of my stuff. Thanks for responding and helping me out if u have ne more tips recomendations let me know.

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they do make 3.55 gears, those are way to low for u car since it is an auto, 3.73 or higher, any less and its not worth it, even if u are having id done by insurance, might as well get it done right the first time, i would just get the 3.73 and be done with it and save a little on gas over 3.90's

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

K well then he must have said 373's I know I should remember but this weeks just been crazy and everything people say goes in one ear and five min later I dont remember wtf they said. Ill give him a call in the morning to make sure but thanks.

--------------------

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I decided to break the conventional rules and go with 4.10s on a T5 car. I'd go with the 3.73s though because of the commute.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Girls like 3.55's. Get those.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com