Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car dies on start up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car dies on start up
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 90 5.0 with an AOD transmission. Lately when i start my car it will usually die right away unless i rev the engine a little. Once I start moving the car is fine it only dies when i first start it up for some reason. does anyone know what it could be
thanks

Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
battery ground? (verify the condition of that zero gauge battery cable)
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so the battery ground could cause the car engine to doe like that cause my stereo still plays when it dies.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the draw of your motor is much greater than the stereo. it could still be the ground, aka, a flaky ground.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

ok ill try that thanks
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had a few things cause this:

-improperly set idle screw

-TPS sensor way off

-bad MAF

Try checking those things out in order. Pulling the codes from the EEC may also give you more clues.

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

ok ill do that, if its the MAF i guess ill just get a C&L 76MM, i was gonna but it later but this may be the exucse i need to get it sooner
thanks for your help

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0eyabs:
ok ill do that, if its the MAF i guess ill just get a C&L 76MM, i was gonna but it later but this may be the exucse i need to get it sooner
thanks for your help

Well its the electronics on the MAF that go bad and C&L's reuse the factory electronics so you have nothing to gain by putting potentially bad MAF electronics in a C&L housing. Try the simple stuff first; tighten the idle screw about a turn, reset the TPS to about 0.8 volts and reset the computer.

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

i left the battery unplugged for a day and when it was re connected it still does the same thing
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

i replaced my tps and battery ground and car still does same thing, how do i reset the tps back to .8 volts
Stimson
_
Member # 51

A bad ground or bad TPS really won't cause this problem. Scroll up, more suggestions were given that you should look into.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

how do i set the TPS sensor on a 5.0
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Put the key in the ON position and measure the voltage across the green and black wires on the TPS. Aim for something in the 0.8X volt range.
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

i still dont get how u adjust it
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Sorry, this link should explain things better:

http://www.promustangs.com/tps.html

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not saying this is the case with your car, but I had a rat-chewed (parked outside) AOD blazer. Started fine, but when I shifted to 'D' from 'P', the car would die, immediately.

was a bad battery ground.

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

no that aint it. i start my car it dies, then i crank it again it dies, then i crank it a third time and car stays on and runs perfect. only does this dying thing on start up once car is going its fine and wont do it again till i turn off the car and try and restart it. thanks for your input though
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car does the same exact shit. I have been trying to fix it for months. I still need to get a new coolant temp sensor. That could be the problem. I did all the free shit that was explained to you and nothing changed.
My best advice from a ford mechanic was to; go to ford and purchase a spacer that goes between the air bypass valve. This spacer has 2 screws that allow air in without the bypass valve having to open a ton. You set these screws to your best liking for idle smoothness. This part comes with 2 gaskets and 2 longer bolts. This part was never put on a car from the factory but you can buy it from Ford dealers. Ford makes them cause there is a glitch in the ford 5.0 shit some times"over time". What happens is the throttle body gets full of shit and dirt, then causes idle problems like this. This is fords lil way of fixing a poor idle circuit design. Hope that helps you out alil more. I love helping out other ford fans...Mike [worship]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Stimson
_
Member # 51

On Ford throttle bodies, you can pretty much always get away with adjusting the blade-stop bolt instead of buying the spacer.

I don't know what more to say, you have a list probable things to look into, its now time for execution.

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

well i bought a code scanner on ebay yester day for only 25 dollars so hopefully when i get it this week it will solve my problems. thanks all
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sound like you have a problem with the throttle body sticking on start up.

Take that off and clean that mofo.

--------------------
Support our troops!

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

thanks ill try that also
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

thanks everyone for your help, seems the problem was a dirty idle bypass sensor
thanks

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

nevermind it still dies
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

nevermind it still dies

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com