Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam synchro in 96 ford ranger 3.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cam synchro in 96 ford ranger 3.0
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The oem instructions as to where to clock it aren't possible because a bolt gets in the way of the connector of the cam sensor. The aligning tool arrow should be pointing 70 degrees counter clockwise from the rear center line of the engine. I'm not replacing the synchro, just clocking it properly because the tech who replaced it didn't fasten the anchor bolt and jerking motions like shifting into drive or reverse would move the cam sensor back and forth. Is there another way to clock it so that the engine will run the way its supposed to even though its placed in differently (kind of like reclocking a distributor one position and moving all the wires over one position)?

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rebuilt my brothers 05 ranger 3.0 and replaced the cam sensor it only seem to go in one way

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JON_SVT  Ford pictures for JON_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just built a 3.0 for my ranger. I bought the cam snyc tool. I put the number 1 piston on TDC of the compression stroke. The tool itself holds the rotor and case together, the tool had an arrow on top and that arrow had to point 38 degrees from the center line of the engine. From the front of the truck the line was pointing towards the passenger side. It started right up! [patriot]
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cam sensor that I bought at kragen came with the tool it is prety simple to do

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 65coupe87notch:
I just built a 3.0 for my ranger. I bought the cam snyc tool. I put the number 1 piston on TDC of the compression stroke. The tool itself holds the rotor and case together, the tool had an arrow on top and that arrow had to point 38 degrees from the center line of the engine. From the front of the truck the line was pointing towards the passenger side. It started right up! [patriot]

I have the tool and found tdc of the compression on 1. What I find odd is that the oem instructions point the arrow to 70 degrees from the centre line of the engine. I'm going to try pointing it 38 degrees from the centerline like u did and that should give me the clearance I need for cam sensor connector. I just hope it will run good right there.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com