Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bleeding Brakes - 4.6L w/ ABS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes - 4.6L w/ ABS
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to know if there is any special procedure for bleeding brakes with ABS?

1) Do I just flush/bleed the brakes the same way as a car with no ABS?

2) I read in a few places that the 4.6L needs to have the Master Cylinder bled before bleeding the lines at the calipers. Is this true? If so can you elaborate on that?

3) If air gets into the abs system I wont be able to remove it myself at home right? So my question is if I have air in the brake lines right now, isn't there already air in the ABS module/control unit/system(whatever it's called, lol) already?

Thanks [patriot]

[ June 14, 2010, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to do this pretty soon too and am trying to do some research.

You should be able to bleed the same way as normal. If you let the MC run too low on fluid you may need to bleed it too (on the car). I ran into this issue with my 2001 GT.

If you find the procedure to bleed the MC please share [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my `97 has bleed nipples on the M/C that I used to bleed it, I have a motive pressure bleeder that I use, just be careful not to get air into the ABS pump or it will have to be activated to get the air out - my buddy with an `03 cobra had that issue, it took forever to bleed out.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
my `97 has bleed nipples on the M/C that I used to bleed it, I have a motive pressure bleeder that I use, just be careful not to get air into the ABS pump or it will have to be activated to get the air out - my buddy with an `03 cobra had that issue, it took forever to bleed out.

what is the best procedure to bleed the MC without a pressure bleeder? Is it as simple as hooking rubber lines up to the nipples, feeding them into the top, and pump?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:

what is the best procedure to bleed the MC without a pressure bleeder? Is it as simple as hooking rubber lines up to the nipples, feeding them into the top, and pump?
you got it, the one further away from the firewall I think is the rear port, do that one first, then the other, then bleed the rear brakes, then the fronts.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see. So as long as I keep the fluid level high enough I shouldn't have to worry about bleeding the MC right?

I'm looking to pick up that motive pressure bleeder. I was researching it and it seem like an awesome tool.

[patriot]

btw is this the same motive pressure bleeder you have? [Confused]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MVP-0107/

[ June 14, 2010, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
I see. So as long as I keep the fluid level high enough I shouldn't have to worry about bleeding the MC right?

I'm looking to pick up that motive pressure bleeder. I was researching it and it seem like an awesome tool.

[patriot]

btw is this the same motive pressure bleeder you have? [Confused]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MVP-0107/

I got the "universal" kit they sell at amazon, it has a cap with a rubber cone in it and 2 J-hooks with chains that loop around the M/C, so it works in any M/C with a round cap.

I modded it for my fords by getting a ford cap and drilling then RTV'ing in a brass hose fitting through it, so for my fords I use that one which is easier because it just snaps on like the normal M/C cap.

only advice I can give with using it, is ALWAYS check for leaks with the bleeder EMPTY! If it leaks with brake fluid going through it, that shit sprays out everywhere @ 15psi and it's horrible on paint! I usually wrap the whole bleeder and M/C up with a towel just to be safe. I always hook it up empty, pump it to 15psi, let it sit for a couple minutes to make sure it holds, then fill it up and do the bleeding.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
quote:
quote:

you got it, the one further away from the firewall I think is the rear port, do that one first, then the other, then bleed the rear brakes, then the fronts.
Cool.. so one port on the MC at a time?
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to beanch bleed a m/c the easy an the way i have done for the last 12 years
put the master in vise fill with fluids stick fingers over the ports an push the cly in intill the bubbles are all gone install m/c hook up lines
have some press the pedal down the crake the line open to get rid of the air in the lines

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
put the master in vise fill with fluids stick fingers over the ports an push the cly in intill the bubbles are all gone install m/c hook up lines
have some press the pedal down the crake the line open to get rid of the air in the lines

You can also do it on the car if you are not planning on changing the existing MC.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:

You can also do it on the car if you are not planning on changing the existing MC.
NO SHIT REALLY NEVER KNEW THAT
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Can you tell me why there is a need to bleed the MC?

Where is air getting trapped? I figured as long as new fluid is pushed through the MC it will force air through the brake lines.

Another question I had was about bleeding the MC first. I thought you want to start furthest from the MC first then work your way towards it. So why do we bleed the MC first? Is it okay to bleed it again after all calipers are done to make sure all air is out? [Confused]

[patriot]

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE BRAKE SYSTEM
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Im just trying to bleed it and get all air out of the system if any and get new fluid in the system. Who knows when someone changed the brake fluid last.

I know the procedure. Just confused about this whole MC thing. Doesn't make sense to me. Is there somewhere in the MC that air can be trapped even if you use a power bleeder to force new fluid through? [Confused]

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
Im just trying to bleed it and get all air out of the system if any and get new fluid in the system. Who knows when someone changed the brake fluid last.

I know the procedure. Just confused about this whole MC thing. Doesn't make sense to me. Is there somewhere in the MC that air can be trapped even if you use a power bleeder to force new fluid through? [Confused]

CLEAR YOUR PMS SO I CAN GIVE YE ANSWER
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Cleared [patriot]

BTW I'm aware of the fact if air is in the abs system that Ill need a bi-directional ABS scan tool to operate the solenoids in order to fully purge air from the system.

But I don't think there is air in the ABS unless someone fucked up like an idiot. Lol

[ June 17, 2010, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com