Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Off road pipe help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Off road pipe help
sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sj9ers  Ford pictures for sj9ers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I just bought my 95 Mustang GT a month ago and the previous owner had it straight piped with no mufflers or cats or anything and it's just way too loud and gets old fast. I saved up and bought an off road MAC Prochamber and Magnaflow Mufflers and went to the muffler shop to have the mufflers welded in and the Prochamber bolted up and installed. When I got there they said they wouldn't do it because there's no cats, and that he would only charge me $1000 like it was a a good deal to weld on 4 cats and make the system legal. So I basically just took my parts and left after that. I called another place after and they wouldn't do it either because of the no cats, but I did find another place but they wanted $200.

I was wondering if anybody here could recommend a place that could install the stuff for me or even do it themselves for a reasonable price before I take it to the place that's gonna charge me $200.

[ March 26, 2010, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: sj9ers ]

--------------------
1967 Mustang

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure how far you are willing to drive, but there is a pretty cool shop here in the 707 area that would do it, they wont tell you anything illegal over the phone. if you are interested pm me and ill pm back some info

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sj9ers  Ford pictures for sj9ers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
not sure how far you are willing to drive, but there is a pretty cool shop here in the 707 area that would do it, they wont tell you anything illegal over the phone. if you are interested pm me and ill pm back some info

Thanks for the info but 707 is kinda far for me to drive. Thats the Napa area right? Are most muffler shops in CA like this about installing off road pipes?

--------------------
1967 Mustang

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uh, yeah. It's illegal. They can be fined, and in the case of some of the smaller shops, they can lose their business...
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
Uh, yeah. It's illegal. They can be fined, and in the case of some of the smaller shops, they can lose their business...

Ya kinda expected that. Is there even any high flow cats or catted h pipes that are legal in CA anymore?

--------------------
1967 Mustang

LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the place that was charging 200 that's a good price ..that's what I paid for my to be welded here in richmond..there's a few shops that would do it here...go for the 200 though..
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bolt it in yourself?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
bolt it in yourself?

I can't. The way the car is right now I have nothing to bolt it too because it just straight pipes from the headers to the tailpipes and theres no mufflers to bolt on too.

--------------------
1967 Mustang

Sesar5.0
¯
Member # 8553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sesar5.0  Ford pictures for Sesar5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 200 is actully a good price if your getting all 4cats welled but you can actually get away with only 2 catz for smog

--------------------
1990 lx 5.0
PS4 ID Sesar5_0

Posts: 864 | From: Cotija Michoacan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
BLK 90 GT 5.0
¯
Member # 7534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK 90 GT 5.0  Ford pictures for BLK 90 GT 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So u just need the magna flows welded up? If so there's a guy in sac that will do it for like 50 just had it done to my 01 and if u want he will make a o/r x pipe 4 u and put it all together for like 150

--------------------
-916 MUSCLE-

90 Gt
02 lancer

sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

quote:
Originally posted by SUMO:
The 200 is actully a good price if your getting all 4cats welled but you can actually get away with only 2 catz for smog

The guy wanted $1000 to have 4 cats welded in and installed which was ridiculous so I left. I already found someone on here that would sell me stock mid pipe for $80. I can just bolt that in when smog rolls around

--------------------
1967 Mustang

sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

quote:
Originally posted by BLK 90 GT 5.0:
So u just need the magna flows welded up? If so there's a guy in sac that will do it for like 50 just had it done to my 01 and if u want he will make a o/r x pipe 4 u and put it all together for like 150

I think I'm just gonna have it done here at the $200 place. I think the $50 in savings by driving to SAC would be canceled out by me paying for the gas to drive up lol. Thanks though

[ March 26, 2010, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: sj9ers ]

--------------------
1967 Mustang

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take it to a speed shop like tps or nextgen. theyre more flexible on doing these sorts of jobs cuz they work on "race" cars that arent driven on the street where smog laws may not apply. [Wink]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got a couple of choices...

1. take off your plates and tell any shop it is off road use only. they will do what ever you need at that point.

2. buy a good high flow catted h/x-pipe.
and call summit for the right cat back muffler kit.. then you can simple bolt your own catted pipe and mufflers on yourself..

3. go to some cheap ass hole in the wall shop. with someone that almost speaks no english.. got a few here in stockton. most of the time you have to watch them work to get it right.. but they don't give 2 shits about the ca smog laws.. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a buddy with a shop in redwood city that will do what ever you want to your exhaust . He did lightning exhaust on my hd truck. He won't trip off you not having cats

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com