Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What gears for 400whp? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What gears for 400whp?
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:
Originally posted by Catfish:
quote:
Originally posted by REDLIGHTING:
I thought superchargers love gears ?

Depends, on the street no. If you are on freeway fifth is kind if your only option and its garbage as you don't hit full boost until 3500. Imo, it seems 308 or 323 makes fourth more useable

had 3.08s before and they dogged in 4th gear...best bet would be a 3.55 for that happy medium.......
How about 3.27's?

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say 3:55s for stick and 3:27 for auto. I'm running 3:27 but with a C4 with a turbo on some 27in tires which is perfect for me. [patriot]

--------------------
-American Revolution-

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
KeeP the 373s and work on suspension. I never really notice a difference between 308 qnd 373s. I had 373s wit hci and vortech 8psi first and second were useless but the charger made up for it in third and fourth!

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AR_Stang:
I say 3:55s for stick and 3:27 for auto. I'm running 3:27 but with a C4 with a turbo on some 27in tires which is perfect for me. [patriot]

Really? I'd say people almost always say the opposite of this. I always hear people say stick, 3.73's and auto 4.10's.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JUNKYARD5.0:
quote:

Really? I'd say people almost always say the opposite of this. I always hear people say stick, 3.73's and auto 4.10's.
Depends..I've seen guys running AOD's with 4:10s but the majority of C4's with 3:27s. I asked around a lot regarding gears to match my turbo. A lot of people on corral and turboforums told me to run 3:55s through a T5 and 3:27s through a C4 with a 26in tire.
My bad, should have stated what type of auto trans.

[ December 20, 2011, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: AR_Stang ]

--------------------
-American Revolution-

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

boosted cars with Auto, especially turbos, are WAY different than N/A and nitrous cars when it comes to gearing for the track

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
quote:
quote:

Depends..I've seen guys running AOD's with 4:10s but the majority of C4's with 3:27s. I asked around a lot regarding gears to match my turbo. A lot of people on corral and turboforums told me to run 3:55s through a T5 and 3:27s through a C4 with a 26in tire.
My bad, should have stated what type of auto trans.

Ah, I see what you are saying now. I was thinking about auto as in AOD, and you were thinking as in C4. But still interesting, didn't know that.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
quote:
quote:

boosted cars with Auto, especially turbos, are WAY different than N/A and nitrous cars when it comes to gearing for the track
Yeah I wasn't taking the boost/nonboost into consideration but I can't disagree, turbo's also come with turbo lag and etc.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Depends, on the street no. If you are on freeway fifth is kind if your only option and its garbage as you don't hit full boost until 3500. Imo, it seems 308 or 323 makes fourth more useable

had 3.08s before and they dogged in 4th gear...best bet would be a 3.55 for that happy medium.......
How about 3.27's?
had 3.27s when my setup was 550+RW HCI S-trim...it liked them but seemed to lag in 4th gear

[ December 20, 2011, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about 3.27's?
had 3.27s when my setup was 550+RW HCI S-trim...it liked them but seemed to lag in 4th gear
WAS 550+ rwhp?? How much.u makin now?? Shit, that wasnt enought for u?!

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about 3.27's?
more and no....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How about 3.27's?
You'll understand when you get to that power level.. I thought my 500hp would be enough but after only a couple months I want more lol it's a never ending hobby!

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would'nt do aything till You get Your combo up and on the road and then You can start figuring out what work's and what does'nt. I would start with some nice sticky tires and see where that get's Ya, do some research on Your rim size and see if taller tires are an option. When You get the charger You are going to be happy for a while and then once You get used to the power You will have enough seat time in to figure out Your next move. Do You have subframe connectors & upper and lower control arm's?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont be scared of some RPM. you have a 3speed? get the suspension or tires sorted out. Dont "detune it" with less gearing because of something like tires. If anything, get TALLER, WIDER tires, see where that takes you.
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not a track car, just a fun daily. I have mm upper and lower control arms. Kyb, quad shocks.

I was thinking 355s I would like to drop rpms by 200 or so on freeway so it isn't as loud.

My next mod are some good wet and dry tires as my girl drives it too and I don't want her to have problem in the rain

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WrenchMonkey:
It's not a track car, just a fun daily. I have mm upper and lower control arms. Kyb, quad shocks.

I was thinking 355s I would like to drop rpms by 200 or so on freeway so it isn't as loud.

My next mod are some good wet and dry tires as my girl drives it too and I don't want her to have problem in the rain

BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2's are fantastic all-around tires for daily driving in dry and wet weather.

and i'd still go with 3.27's. 3.55's at most. If you have a factory t-5, first gear is most likely a 3.35... having 3.73's with a 3.35 first = useless on the street.

3.27's will not only make 1st gear more useable, but put 5th (which is a 0.68 overdrive?) a good chunk of RPM lower on the freeway. All depends on tire size too, but i'd wager anywhere from 1,800-2,100 rpm at 70mph.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
let me get this straight. This is a 5 speed or transmission WITH an OVERDRIVE and you think 3.73's are too aggressive of a gear???
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:
let me get this straight. This is a 5 speed or transmission WITH an OVERDRIVE and you think 3.73's are too aggressive of a gear???

Let me correct you, my "Opinon" is that 3.73's are too aggressive. 1st winds out to fast, and 5th is 2600 RPM's @ 65. 245/45/17's,

That shit's retarded and noisy, I have no need for steep gears being blown!

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WrenchMonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:

Let me correct you, my "Opinon" is that 3.73's are too aggressive. 1st winds out to fast, and 5th is 2600 RPM's @ 65. 245/45/17's,

That shit's retarded and noisy, I have no need for steep gears being blown!

+1

3.73's would be fine with sticky tires and/or drag suspension, but with all-season street tires on a daily driver, 3.27's will let you actually use that 3.35 1st gear.

plus, with 3.27's and a 0.68 5th, running 245/45/17's you should be right around 1,900rpm at 65mph... and just under 2,200rpm at 75mph

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Thanks s 281 327 it is. I've ran a few mustang with different gears. The 373 ones ran out of breath around 120, and 327s usually hung with me up to 145.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com