Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » update: powered by svt plaque on, just finished painting my Cam covers for my Cobra (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: update: powered by svt plaque on, just finished painting my Cam covers for my Cobra
svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
took mine stuff in today for the wrinkle black. Cant wait to get this stuff all done and installed

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chavez66  Ford pictures for Chavez66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by svt306snake:
took mine stuff in today for the wrinkle black. Cant wait to get this stuff all done and installed

hey T who's installing your stuff, i might jus go wit you so i wont have to go through all the hassel of installation

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Posts: 1694 | From: Dont worry about it | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my buddy who has a custom paint shop when asked to do color match motors uses a high temp primer followed with a the same base/clear you would use on the exterior of your car.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice work!

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chavez66  Ford pictures for Chavez66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sic Beast:
quote:
Originally posted by Chavez66:
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
U did those with a rattle can? They actually came out pretty good. I'm always scarred to shoot clear out of can but Those came out nice

Yea everything was rattle canned with duplicolor paint, I was gunna have them professionally done until I talked to 19mystic96 and he told me how to do it. So I decided to do it myself and came out great, once you start the project its not that bad
so share with us and tell us how it was done! maybe ill start doing mine as well..they starting to look a bit dull.
lookz good for kragen suppliez

well first of all you have to hose down the Cam covers to get all the dirt and grime off, hit it with some degreaser and some brake cleaner. i used a wire brush to scrub off all the dirty hard to reach spots, after its all cleaned off you sand the covers down with 400 grit sand paper to rough up the surface to get it ready for the primer. after you sand it down you got to clean it again to get all the dust of, i used a Tac Rag which is specifically for that its like a sticky rag that picks up all the dust and dirt. I then Masked off the all the parts i didnt want to get overspray. i was told by 19Mystic96 to do it on a sunny day and leave the cam covers in the sun for a lil to raise the temp of the metal and so the primer and paint would stick a little better. I sprayed 3 coats high temp engine primer then after that I sanded the primer with 400 grit again just enough to scuff up the surface so that the paint would stick, i then sprayed 3 heavy coats of paint. i waited around 10 minutes between coats. after that i sprayed the 3 coats of clear coat to give it that nice glossy finish. its not that hard once you start getting into it

[ April 29, 2011, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Chavez66 ]

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shoulda popped out those steel inserts the bolts go through. Other than that, it looks tits! You'll like it! Did the same to mine, dual stage too. Did u get your paint code in a spray can?

-

[ April 30, 2011, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ye I got it in a spray can, wow yours looked bad ass too I like the grey

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
Chavez bro the parts look good.

But i have to wonder if you have ever pulled the valve covers from a 4V car with the motor still in the engine bay? The passenger side will come off fairly easy, but requires some finess due to the height of the cams. The driver side is nearly impossible to get off due to the brake boosters location. I had to loosen my motor mount and rock the motor in order to do it and it still scratched the hell out of the cover. Do you have polyurethane or stock mounts also? It may be easier with the stock mounts, but be prepared to loosen the mounts and rock the motor if you want to get them off without removing a lot of the paint from the cover. A word to the wise would be to make sure the gasket does not get tweaked or stretched on the install. I had a hell of a time reinstalling mine so just giving you a heads up. The aftermarket gaskets from kragen, autozone, napa are not the same quality as the ones that came from the factory.

Good luck with the install man

I did both sides of mine without messing with my motor mounts.. Had no problem with the Brake booster either..

as for the VC gasket, easy way to install them is to dab a small amount of Permatex gasket maker every 6" or so and let the gasket stick to the Cam covers instead of falling off.. same with the spark plug grommets.. I just applied a dab on each grommet and push it onto the cover.. (i used kragen gaskets made by felpro)

also, covering the cam covers in green 3m painters tape helps keep scratches and chips out of the fresh paint..

you can also take the upper intake hat off and remove the injector rail and injectors off to get a little more room to uninstall and reinstall..

Hector, the cam covers look great, and glad to help! Let me know if you need any other advice!

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

FordRyderz510
¯
Member # 6771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordRyderz510  Ford pictures for FordRyderz510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
U did those with a rattle can? They actually came out pretty good. I'm always scarred to shoot clear out of can but Those came out nice

Yea everything was rattle canned with duplicolor paint, I was gunna have them professionally done until I talked to 19mystic96 and he told me how to do it. So I decided to do it myself and came out great, once you start the project its not that bad
so share with us and tell us how it was done! maybe ill start doing mine as well..they starting to look a bit dull.

well first of all you have to hose down the Cam covers to get all the dirt and grime off, hit it with some degreaser and some brake cleaner. i used a wire brush to scrub off all the dirty hard to reach spots, after its all cleaned off you sand the covers down with 400 grit sand paper to rough up the surface to get it ready for the primer. after you sand it down you got to clean it again to get all the dust of, i used a Tac Rag which is specifically for that its like a sticky rag that picks up all the dust and dirt. I then Masked off the all the parts i didnt want to get overspray. i was told by 19Mystic96 to do it on a sunny day and leave the cam covers in the sun for a lil to raise the temp of the metal and so the primer and paint would stick a little better. I sprayed 3 coats high temp engine primer then after that I sanded the primer with 400 grit again just enough to scuff up the surface so that the paint would stick, i then sprayed 3 heavy coats of paint. i waited around 10 minutes between coats. after that i sprayed the 3 coats of clear coat to give it that nice glossy finish. its not that hard once you start getting into it
Now this is detailed enough. Came out good bro. Yeah especially if itz one time thing..you might as well get it done right!

--------------------
Ford Ryderz -Est. 2003
88' GT
96' GT
97' Saleen #17
94' GT-Sold

04cobra408
¯
Member # 4025

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04cobra408  Ford pictures for 04cobra408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very nice work man [Eek!]
[worship]

--------------------
Willie Guzman
RIP lil brother
11-23-12

Juan Moya
"The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05

Posts: 1945 | From: san jose ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
Originally posted by 04cobra408:
very nice work man [Eek!]
[worship]

thanks bro

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now this is detailed enough. Came out good bro. Yeah especially if itz one time thing..you might as well get it done right!
Yea u gotta do it right the first time, by the looks of it its not gunna be a walk in the park to get these things installed haha. It's gunna be worth it tho

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

I just received my powered by svt plaque that will go on my cam covers and I think it looks great, hopefully now that I have everything I will try and install maybe this week or the next. Ima also take my upper intake off and paint that as well, ill post pics up when finished

-

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
those looks great! where'd you get that plaque from?

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
Originally posted by Broke4.6:
those looks great! where'd you get that plaque from?

Thanks its just a little touch to make it look a little better, just type in powered by svt plaque on eBay and it should come up. It's only like 10 bucks but its worth it

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good Ebay is AWESOME!
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
Originally posted by fstryde3:
Looks good Ebay is AWESOME!

Haha thas what I'm sayin, therw want a single thing you can't buy on eBay haha

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

19fastang84
¯
Member # 10406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19fastang84  Ford pictures for 19fastang84    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking good bro [burnout]

--------------------
1986 drop top R.I.P Towed
1986 drop top
1984 hatchback
---------------------------------
Ghetto thugs like Jairo romo aka 19fastang84 that can't speak or write English don't belong here.

More and more ghetto folks will be getting the boot soon. If you're ghetto, not banned yet and reading this, here is your chance to leave voluntarily. CAFords is not the place for you. Go back to craigslist. Go back to school. Go anywhere else but CAFords.com because you don't belong here!

We're not cold hearted and young people can change. If you email us an apology letter with proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure, we'll unlock your account. If you decide to do this and rejoin the community, please abstain from making ghetto posts like you previously have http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051252;p=2#000042 . Such posts reflect poorly on yourself and on the community as a whole. People making such posts in the future will receive the boot. The anti-ghetto cleansing as begun. All thugs, crooks, and those who did not utilize 12 years worth of free public education in this country are on notice.

Posts: 752 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
19fastang84
¯
Member # 10406

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 19fastang84  Ford pictures for 19fastang84    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking good man [burnout]

--------------------
1986 drop top R.I.P Towed
1986 drop top
1984 hatchback
---------------------------------
Ghetto thugs like Jairo romo aka 19fastang84 that can't speak or write English don't belong here.

More and more ghetto folks will be getting the boot soon. If you're ghetto, not banned yet and reading this, here is your chance to leave voluntarily. CAFords is not the place for you. Go back to craigslist. Go back to school. Go anywhere else but CAFords.com because you don't belong here!

We're not cold hearted and young people can change. If you email us an apology letter with proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure, we'll unlock your account. If you decide to do this and rejoin the community, please abstain from making ghetto posts like you previously have http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051252;p=2#000042 . Such posts reflect poorly on yourself and on the community as a whole. People making such posts in the future will receive the boot. The anti-ghetto cleansing as begun. All thugs, crooks, and those who did not utilize 12 years worth of free public education in this country are on notice.

Posts: 752 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my plaque says, Cobra By AED! FTMFW [Big Grin]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:

Haha damn that's the most epic plaque ever haha, I want one [Frown]

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

forgot to mention, your covers look good, can never go wrong with powder coated/painted valve covers! Mine are same color as my car.

--------------------

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

quote:
quote:
quote:

forgot to mention, your covers look good, can never go wrong with powder coated/painted valve covers! Mine are same color as my car.
I love redfire, do u have any pics? Id like to see

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Hopefully these work
 -

-

-

--------------------

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Wow that looks real good, if mine looks anywhere near as good as that minus the KB supercharger haha I will be happy

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com