Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Operating temp problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Operating temp problem
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car is my 86 coupe 5 speed swapped not by me. Car starts and idles fine, reaches operating temp or maybe 2-3 minutes of driving, I press down on the clutch to come to a stop and motor dies almost instantly. No stumble no cough just cuts off like the ignition died. Depending on speed I can usually bump it by dumping the clutch but it's an awkward drive home after that at every light. Iac? Nss? Help me out.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does your cruise control work? check the VSS on the side of the transmission where the speedo cable is to be plugged in.

the computer looks at the speed from the VSS to keep the idle bumped up high enough not to stall while rolling with the clutch in or in neutral on a manual.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vehicle Speed Sensor hooked up? Maybe the IAC or MAF issue (if u have converted it)..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
does your cruise control work? check the VSS on the side of the transmission where the speedo cable is to be plugged in.

the computer looks at the speed from the VSS to keep the idle bumped up high enough not to stall while rolling with the clutch in or in neutral on a manual.

Car doesn't have cruise control and I'll have to climb under the car to look at vss

--------------------
King Lx

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
Vehicle Speed Sensor hooked up? Maybe the IAC or MAF issue (if u have converted it)..

Car is maf converted with a ford racing conversion. The kind that adapts over the harness to computer plug. My boy said it could be dirty iac so I'll check those three items

--------------------
King Lx

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com