Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Overheating Problems HELP (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Overheating Problems HELP
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SC363SN  Ford pictures for SC363SN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my mach1 has been overheating and I have no idea why. Changed the thermostat, radiator hoses, coolant, fan, water pump. Any ideas what it might be? Radiator is extremely hot at top but warm/cool at the bottom. Should I change my radiator? Need help asap, don't want to blow a gasket or damage my motor
Posts: 489 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2014  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sound like you didn't burp the coolant system correctly...

http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
give me a call 916 912 3493. i can help you out with that car. I specialize in mod motors.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you fill the coolant up in the crossover tube? u gotta let it run and burp the bubbles out of it and keep filling till its full. Then seal it up and drive it a bit see if u still got the problem.

I assume this is on a mach right? so DOHC 4.6. otherwise its different.

Why did you change all the cooling system parts did you have a bunch of rust in it or something? Car sit for a while or have oil/water mix? Radiator could be plugged try flushing it out.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SC363SN  Ford pictures for SC363SN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Sound like you didn't burp the coolant system correctly...

http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

My crossover tube is stripped, I tried to get it off and it won't come off. Any other ways to remove the plug?
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
did you fill the coolant up in the crossover tube? u gotta let it run and burp the bubbles out of it and keep filling till its full. Then seal it up and drive it a bit see if u still got the problem.

Why did you change all the cooling system parts did you have a bunch of rust in it or something? Car sit for a while or have oil/water mix? Radiator could be plugged try flushing it out.

Car started to overheat out of nowhere. Changed a couple parts but, still overheats. My crossover over tube is stripped and can't find a way to remove it. Tried burping it through the reservoir tank but, nothing happends. Could the problem be because of UDPs?
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ your problem is simple..you gotta burp the system via the crossover tube..no other way around it..weld a nut to the crossover tube plug and use a wrench to get it off or try vice grips but those generally cause more damage than good..

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
^ your problem is simple..you gotta burp the system via the crossover tube..no other way around it..weld a nut to the crossover tube plug and use a wrench to get it off or try vice grips but those generally cause more damage than good..

Yup ^, You're not going to get rid of your overheating problem until you properly Burp the system and that is done using the Crossover tube plug. So do what you have to do , they sell New plugs online so you dont have to deal with this again hopefully

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I replaced the crappy factory crossover tube on my 4v with one that a guy on corral.net forums makes. He makes it with a hex head on the top so you can use a normal open wrench to pull it off to burp the system. WELL worth the $30 or whatever he charges for them.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I replaced the crappy factory crossover tube on my 4v with one that a guy on corral.net forums makes. He makes it with a hex head on the top so you can use a normal open wrench to pull it off to burp the system. WELL worth the $30 or whatever he charges for them.

My buddy did the same, Mines brand new but i want to do the same..Agreed!

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SlowMach:
quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:

Car started to overheat out of nowhere. Changed a couple parts but, still overheats. My crossover over tube is stripped and can't find a way to remove it. Tried burping it through the reservoir tank but, nothing happends. Could the problem be because of UDPs?
Your car has a closed cooling system. Adding coolant to the expansion tank will not put coolant into your motor for shit.

Either weld a nut to the top of the crossover plug as mentioned already or pull the tube off and get another one. I have no idea how people can strip these plugs with a ratchet lol.

once you get that plug out start filling and make sure you are not pouring COLD water in a HOT engine [Smile] if you hear creaking STOP! and use hot water or let it cool down.

--------------------
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

So I easily removed the plug after heating it but, only a few bubbles came out. I let the car run for about 20-25 mins. The coolant just boils, is that normal?
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
head gasket leaking exhaust into coolant system causing to over heat?

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to take off both the radiator cap and the coolant crossover cap at same time. Back fill the crossover until its overflowing and the reservoir tank. Start the vehicle and let it run until the bubbles are done in the crossover. then cap off the crossover and reservoir

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
So I easily removed the plug after heating it but, only a few bubbles came out. I let the car run for about 20-25 mins. The coolant just boils, is that normal?

is the front of your car slightly raised or jacked up air will travel to highest point...

If your in sac go check out sacstangdriver knows what he is doing as do the others that have chimed just maybe easier to see someone else do it first

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the t-Stat and back full the block.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

did you put the tstat in backwards by chance??? [Smile]

--------------------
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

Changed the radiator and still overheats. Is there any other reason it might overheat??
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:
head gasket leaking exhaust into coolant system causing to over heat?

go to auto zone and pick up the kit that checks for HC's in you coolant and save some time/money
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

There's no way it could be a gasket. Doesn't blow any smoke, doesn't have an exhaust leak and there's no oil residue in coolant. No leaks of any kind.. When I get on it hard(pedal to the metal) it goes back to normal and also goes back to normal when heater is turned on. Anyone know the solution to this problem?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
There's no way it could be a gasket. Doesn't blow any smoke, doesn't have an exhaust leak and there's no oil residue in coolant. No leaks of any kind.. When I get on it hard(pedal to the metal) it goes back to normal and also goes back to normal when heater is turned on. Anyone know the solution to this problem?

sounds like air in the system that needs to be bled out.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

So how do I bleed the system? Already tried it through the crossover tube but, nothing. Anyone know a good, cheap mechanic in the sac area?
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

You said you changed the FAN. if so why? and did you test it to confirm it being bad? might have a problem with the power to the fan

if it cools down when you 'get on it' then you have an air flow issue

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the engine already overheating before you changed all the parts you mentioned?
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

It had been sitting for about 2 months. Started it up drove it for about a day or two and that's when it started to overheat. Changed the obvious things that might cause an overheat and no luck. Could it be my tune? Tune shows low fan kicks in at 190 and high speed fan at 230. Is that good?

[ 2015-09-01, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: 03SlowMach ]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com