Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » oil cooling

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: oil cooling
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was wondering what is required to install a oil cooler.
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is a good kit to use
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
engine oil coolers are not needed unless you're building an open track /time attack race car, really.

I used an oil cooler off a 96+ 5.0 v8 ford explorer for my notchback. Bolts in place of the oil filter adapter on side of block and gets plumbed into the lower radiator hose so the oil is cooled to coolant temp.

very old pic, but shows it a lot better than now with the p/s / a/c / procharger all in the way.

-

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think what blind has is, the best thing out above.
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

So it's using the water pump to cool the oil? I have a fast revving engine an I don't want the oil to thin out as much as it does,h"preserve life of the engine"
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are your oil temps getting to now?

I only installed this, because at open track days I was seeing near 250* oil temps. Now it's the same as engine coolant (~195*)

[ 2015-07-10, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine is on my drift car, it good for everything
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

I haven't installed a oil temp gauge yet but my oil pressure drops once the car warms up but I figured with the oil cooler and a high volume oil pump it will help with the oil staying thick helping everything stay lubricated since my engine is fast revving. another question what is the ideal pressure you want you oil to be ?
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Blind did you use the Explorer houses? and you wouldnt know the part number. tryed googling it just keeps coming up with the oring for the seal

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

so would you guys use a kit like this? never had to use one so its new to me.

-

[ 2015-07-12, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: 68StangTAY ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
Hey Blind did you use the Explorer houses? and you wouldnt know the part number. tryed googling it just keeps coming up with the oring for the seal

in terms of the rad hoses I had to come up with what you see there. I just looked in the back at the hoses at napa and found a couple with bends that I thought would work and hacked them up. From what I remember the short one to the waterpump was the biggest PITA to get perfect without having a crush in the hose.

I just got the explorer cooler off one in the junkyard, I'm not very fancy [dance]

oil cooler will do nothing for oil pressure.

pressure should be 10psi per 1000rpm (so 50psi at 5000rpm). When hot at idle you want somewhere around 20psi.

High volume pumps don't work very well on street driven cars with factory oil pans and pickups, btw.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

im working on getting a bigger oil pan now and thanks on the info about the oil pressure that's what had me really confused.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

from pump to cooler on teh explorer teh stock hose works great, as for the cooler to radiator is a find it yourself

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com