Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » putting heads back on question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: putting heads back on question
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so i took my heads off the reverse way of putting them on. blew a rod or some shit, so the heads werent warped or anything like that. question is do i need to have them resurfaced? they've been on a table the whole time they been off. heads are going on a non pi block once i find a good used engine. thanks
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
JAYSEA0707
¯
Member # 1835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAYSEA0707  Ford pictures for JAYSEA0707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rule of thumb is to ALWAYS have them resurfaced and checked. I just dealt with this and decided to pay for the resurface, magnaflux and valve job. All went well. $200 worth of insurance. But if your rebuilding the entire engine, you should DEFINITELY get this done, or get upgraded heads.

--------------------
I drive a lifted truck because fat bitches can't jump!

Posts: 570 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What he said^^^
[patriot]

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've pulled and installed heads many times without resurfacing and had no issues. With that being said, the surface does need to be smooth and flat. Carefully clean the surface with brake clean and a razor blade. Don't use a screwdriver or grinder as you will mess up the the head. The point is to clean without changing the surface finish.

If you originally pulled the heads due to overheating, I would get them checked and resurfaced. Sounds like you'll be okay though.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com