Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » can you lend me an ear?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: can you lend me an ear?
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Two Sundays back I was cruising along Hwy 4 west of Stockton in my 65 Mustang (200 in 3 speed) when it suddenly started making an unpleasant noise. I pulled off as soon as possible (bad road for that) and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. Restarted engine then shut down immediately and called for tow. Noise still there. Had it towed home. Had to drive it about 20 yards to get it into driveway. Noise still there. Never got worse. Car started and ran just fine except for the noise. Car has 10,000 miles on a (supposedly) professional quality rebuild. Had about 200 miles on a fresh oil change. Oil pressure was good (gauge, not idiot light). In fact oil pressure was slightly higher than normal, which I guess might be an issue. Noise was definitely mechanical as opposed to exhaust.

I am getting ready to pull the valve cover and maybe drop the pan to look for anything obviously wrong.

Can anybody offer a reasonable guesstimate as to what I am looking for? (I am thinking a rod about to tear loose.)

Anybody live in-near Stockton that might be willing to come over and give it a listen?

Anybody know a shop in the general area that might be willing-able and has a good rep to pull the 200 and obtain and install a 250 for me (which is how I should have gone in the first place, but that's on me)?

Any other useful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 73 | From: stockton, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pull the oil filter, cut it open and look for glitter.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That hadn't occurred to me. Great idea. Anybody else?
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those inline 6's have adjustable rockers. One may have backed off.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Yup. Am going to pull the valve cover and check. I was going to do it today but they use a little tiny bolt to hold the damn thing on and I had to get some 1/4" drive sockets to get it off. Will do so tomorrow AM. I am hoping that is the issue but since I have little experience with these 144-200 inch engines I may be engaging in wishful thinking.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where about are you. I'll be happy to swing by and maybe give you an idea of what it could be.

Message me a phone number

Sal

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

thanks for the kind offer. pm sent.
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Got the valve cover off. It doesn't look pretty. Found two halves of one valve spring, assorted retainers, most of one push rod. valve stem is gone so valve has obviously dropped and I have one seriously beat up cylinder. now all I have to do is find a decent 250 CI engine and someone to install it. Any ideas for the Stockton area. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn man that sucks, I was hoping it was something simple.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well from the sounds of it you found what he problem is.

Now to make the best of it and put in a roller 5.0 with a 5 speed.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bummer. Good used straight sixes should be easy to come by. Most people pull them for V8 swaps and let them go cheap. The 170/200/250 are all the same family and will interchange pretty easy. The 240/300 is a taller deck (for a truck) and won't fit in a Mustang.

Check Craigslist. There's a few good candidates on there. Also try Mustang & Muscle Parts in Oakdale. The guy has about 200 Mustangs in his back yard he parts out. You'll probably do well calling them. The number is 209-847-1829.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Thanks Wilit. Will give him a call tomorrow. I appreciate all the kind assistance guys.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com