Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Sounds Like An Exhaust Leak/Ticking

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Sounds Like An Exhaust Leak/Ticking
89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89_Faleen  Ford pictures for 89_Faleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 97 cobra recently started having a exhaust leak/tick under load only. It sounds like it coming from top engine by alternator area. The car has a vortech v2 supercharger also. Ive checked all connections and bolts, also passed my hand by exhaust system found no leaks. Only audible when engine is reved or underload cannot be heard at idle. Kinda stuck? Any help is appreciated

--------------------
1990 GT (SOLD)
1990 LX (SOLD)
1995 GT (SOLD)
1989 LX (SOLD)
1997 COBRA (RIP)
1989 FALEEN (CURRENT)

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
recently mess with the exhaust? Mainly the mid pipe?

sometimes the driver side header does not mate up well and can have this problem.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89_Faleen  Ford pictures for 89_Faleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No only thing ive done to it is spark plug change since i was getting spark blow out and oil change. I got the car in feb and put roughly 4k miles on it already and didn't have the noise till this friday. Ive had scraped xpipe a couple times but looked under with car on and found no leaks.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my `97 cobra would constantly blow out the thin metal gasket on the H pipe on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Drivers side seals nice and easy with the ball socket flange like a foxbody, but the passenger side is flat and uses that stupid gasket. It would only leak under load and the sound basically sounded like it was coming from the top of the passenger side of the engine or behind the glovebox if you were a passenger.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
my `97 cobra would constantly blow out the thin metal gasket on the H pipe on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Drivers side seals nice and easy with the ball socket flange like a foxbody, but the passenger side is flat and uses that stupid gasket. It would only leak under load and the sound basically sounded like it was coming from the top of the passenger side of the engine or behind the glovebox if you were a passenger.

Will look into that hopefully thats my problem
89_Faleen
¯
Member # 10728

Would this circled valve cause and exhaust leak/tick noise when throttle is pressed. Sounds like its comming from that area?
 -

--------------------
1990 GT (SOLD)
1990 LX (SOLD)
1995 GT (SOLD)
1989 LX (SOLD)
1997 COBRA (RIP)
1989 FALEEN (CURRENT)

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those had to do with smog it could leak from there my cobra motor had them deleted

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com