Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3v ticking/clicking noise

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3v ticking/clicking noise
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S197 3v 123k miles

I'm getting this intermittent clicking noise from the enging bay. It's not that loud and is not a lifter tick. Just an annoying slight clicking noise on idle. u can hear it for a few seconds and it goes away for a few seconds and comes back on and so on. It is also present when u rev. u can hear it even more the more it revs. Usually loudest around 4k rpms.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing chain guides or something along those lines

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Listen at the front of the cams. Cam phasers are common, and they also flatten the roller on the cam followers. Bit it sounds like you have a noisy cam phaser.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it bad to continue driving with any of those issues described above? will the noise get louder with time? Im starting to get tired of maintenance maybe time to get a coyote haha. Thanks guys for the input.
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It it's a follower it will get real bad. They will usually eat the cam lobe up or spit out the roller bearings and they end up taking out a oil pump out. The cam phasers aren't such a big issue. There is a locating dowl on the front of the cam that it will oblong from being beat on. Also causing a cam to be replaced.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what year is the car? supposedly the cam phasers were 'fixed' for 07+ cars

my wife's `08 gt 'vert however had the symptoms of a cam phaser going on passenger side...when we sold it at 50k miles last year.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
what year is the car? supposedly the cam phasers were 'fixed' for 07+ cars

my wife's `08 gt 'vert however had the symptoms of a cam phaser going on passenger side...when we sold it at 50k miles last year.

It's a 2007

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Lol... Yea "fixed". They are all the same parts.. Just like they keep saying the block problems with the coyote are "fixed ". Too

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:

Can timing chain guides be inspected while motor is still in the car?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles in the odometer?
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by i:

123,104 and counting

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

You can inspect the chain guides motor still in car. You can do all of the above listed repairs motor in the car. Pull valve covers and timing cover. Just take off the four bolts on the bottom of the timing cover and roll the cover back. You will be able to re use the pan gasket.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
quote:
Originally posted by i:

123,104 and counting
123,320 now lol

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:

Thank you fellas for all your helpful input.

So I did some more homework and this seems to line up with the issue im having. Im gonna try and open up the motor this weekend and inspect these pieces see if it is the culprit. Ive changed lash adjusters and rocker arms on this car in the past but I don't think that's the issue this time, its a whole different sound this time.

Any pointers on doing this job. It looks like I need to take off cam cover, and to get the timing cover off it looks like the belt tensioner pulley need to come off along with the water pump pulley, harmonic balancer too maybe? coolant expansion tank too? (dammit haha)

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

shoutout to dochfox btw always one of the first to help remember this lol http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=028941;p=2

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Yea, don't forget the four bolts from the bottom that attach the oil pan to the timing cover. Pull the balancer. You will need a standard ballencer puller for that, tensioner and idler pulleys, I pull the alternator and water pump pulley too to gain clearance. I think the power steering pump attaches to the cover too. You don't have to remove the pump. Just take the bolts off and let it hang down. When you pull the cover off roll it foward from the top and let the bottom just come foward and out at a slight angle and the oil pan gasket will survive. Dab a marble size of grey silicon where the pan meets the block. Where the heads meet the block on both top side and bottom side of each head, and of course when you put the valve covers back on where the valve covers meet the timing cover. Short of obvious wear on the chain guides the tensioners are hard to see the wear. There aren't very expensive and I always just put them in if I've got a motor that far apart. And last if you do go to inspect the phasers and you remove the bolt for them they are one time use only bolts and need to be replaced. If you pull the phasers and the spring falls off in your hands the phasers are fucked up.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

I can see the cam phasers and their error in degrees, meaning if the tick is from them it shows up as a bouncing degree error pid. But that's only with a scan tool that can display live data stream

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:
I can see the cam phasers and their error in degrees, meaning if the tick is from them it shows up as a bouncing degree error pid. But that's only with a scan tool that can display live data stream

I think it's a lifter starting to go bad actually. Gonna replace that lifter and rocker next oil change.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could possibly be your obama phone ringing?
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Fixed it at 130k miles. It was the same lifter and rocker arm as last time that were starting to go bad.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com