Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MSD DISTRUBATOR INSTALL

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MSD DISTRUBATOR INSTALL
FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FKMPG  Ford pictures for FKMPG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building an engine that's a stock bottom block and I need help to install my distrubator. It's a 302 sbf efi! Can anyone help? Thanks

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Word of advice, don't install a msd distributor lol. Stock ones are less prone to failure. Msd suck period.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^been reading this more and more i have a MSD ready run on my 351w never had a problem while it was running. whats the issues with MSD ?

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its fine for track or weekend cars. Your 70 really doesn't have a choice anyway, foxes already come with a good working ignition system.

--------------------

FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FKMPG  Ford pictures for FKMPG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay now running stock dizzy. Is there anyone that can help a brother out? Lol

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trashcan is a good place to install an MSD.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FKMPG:

What is the problem with install your having?

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TDC on the passenger side. Point the Dizzy at number 8.
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Might help to post where you're at. California is a big state and we have lots of members all over.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
quote:

What is the problem with install your having?
From the begging to finish. Or if someone knows any website that I could read on how to install a dizzy. Thanks

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

have you take the old one out yet?

--------------------

FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:

Yes.

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:

Yes.
Is your motor complete?

--------------------
King Lx

FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

Everything besides the timing cover.

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:

Ok so rotate the engine until your at tdc on compression stroke of the #1 cylinder which will be left hand side foremost forward. You can verify that by watching the valves peak and start to come down. Then just bruh it back a little bit it won't hirt nothing. Also put a rag or a finger in the spark plug whole you'll feel the air and your timing chain should be straight up at that point if I'm not mistaken. Then take your dizzy point it to the #1 pin on the cap and just for time saving go 1 tooth back from that pin. That way when you set the dizzy down and you need to rock it so it will seat, they usually jump 1 tooth forward and that will have you already set to drop and seat perfectly at 1. Old guy taught me that makes stabbing a dizzy a 5 minute 1 time deal

[ 2015-04-08, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: LXjames ]

--------------------
King Lx

FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

quote:
quote:

Ok so rotate the engine until your at tdc on compression stroke of the #1 cylinder which will be left hand side foremost forward. You can verify that by watching the valves peak and start to come down. Then just bruh it back a little bit it won't hirt nothing. Also put a rag or a finger in the spark plug whole you'll feel the air and your timing chain should be straight up at that point if I'm not mistaken. Then take your dizzy point it to the #1 pin on the cap and just for time saving go 1 tooth back from that pin. That way when you set the dizzy down and you need to rock it so it will seat, they usually jump 1 tooth forward and that will have you already set to drop and seat perfectly at 1. Old guy taught me that makes stabbing a dizzy a 5 minute 1 time deal
Okay thanks a lot.

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

FKMPG
¯
Member # 11005

quote:
quote:

Okay thanks a lot.

--------------------
BUILT NOT BOUGHT...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com