Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99 cobra stripped spark plug treads help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 cobra stripped spark plug treads help
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So driving my car today in freeway went to fourth gear and hear apop . Got hooked and found the spark plug wire lay in on the engine looked and also found my spark plug out .
It is the passenger side head the one closest to firewall wondering if anyone has ever repaired it on vehicle or am I forced to pulled head ??

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the 2v heads are comin issue with it...auto parts store sell a kit for the repair...but on a 4v idk, i guess thats why their is a 9 thread c head available...now im kinda skeptical about finishing my c head swap as i have early c heads aswell...

Hopefully u can fix it

Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
time-cert repair would be the best resolution.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I guess this ones are c'mon also wish I would of knowed that when I had it apart lol

If anyone knows someone that does it lmk I want to get it fixed as soon as possible

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Where did you buy the timecert?

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.timesert.com/

pretty much every size kit is sold on amazon, figure out what size you need and find it on there, and you'll have it in 2 days.

http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metric-Thread-Repair-1812/dp/B001JK44LG

that's just an example, I don't know what size you need.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is a common problem on those engines and sometimes the inserts blow out. Ford really messed up with there plug design and the lack of threads in gthe head. If memory serves me there is app 4-5 threads holding the plugs in. If over tightened and they were from the factory it is only a matter of time. Here is the kit we use to fix them. Here is what the Ford tsb fix is. And is the only authorized repair as far as i know.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/joecamel90/2010-05-25_231851_hole.pdf

[ 2014-05-01, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jb weld [Wink]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Cool man I'll check it .. but so far I spoke with my local machine shop and he told me he has the tool so and just recently did one on a 5.4 so I'm going to have him look at it and possibly take care of it

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Jb weld does fix a lot of things lol

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

P.B.R .stangs
¯
Member # 6544

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P.B.R .stangs  Ford pictures for P.B.R .stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you listen for compression in that cylinder before you repair the spark plug hole. Possible broken piston. This was the case with my buddies 99 cobra when he blew a spark plug out. flashlight down the spark plug hole, engine turning and piston in that cylinder not moving.

[ 2014-05-02, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: P.B.R .stangs ]

--------------------
86 gt (parted out)
90 lincoln mark 7 (sold)
99 cobra (sold)
89 5.0 lx hatch (sold)

Posts: 167 | From: fair oaks/sacramento | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by P.B.R .stangs:
Make sure you check for compression in that cylinder before you repair the spark plug hole. Possible broken piston. This was the case with my buddies 99 cobra when he blew a spark plug out. flashlight down the spark plug hole, engine turning and piston in that cylinder not moving.

^ thIs..I had the same issue before,might even have been the same car (Chris's 99?) I bought it blown up lol,replaced the piston and the cylinder head and she ran perfect,actually went mid 12s almost stock and 2 years later is still out getting beat on like a champ [burnout]

[ 2014-05-02, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Here's the piston that broke,same cylinder as the OPs aswell,not a fun fix...

-

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So did the piston come up n slap the spark plug out of its threads??? I know the weak point on tgethe 32v are the rods and pistons but dam.....did this happen because of driver abuse????
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
P.B.R .stangs
¯
Member # 6544

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P.B.R .stangs  Ford pictures for P.B.R .stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, same car Chris has been my boy since we were kids. and by the way that was badass what you did with that car Chris showed me some pics. that 99 was one of the gifted ones. pretty fast for being stock with exhaust and an SAS!!!

--------------------
86 gt (parted out)
90 lincoln mark 7 (sold)
99 cobra (sold)
89 5.0 lx hatch (sold)

Posts: 167 | From: fair oaks/sacramento | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

^ ya I rescued that car and had a lot of fun with it,sold it to get my life in order with my license so I could drive commercial,wasn't a tough decision but a tough release believe me lol..my good buddy and member on this site 85stang302 now has it and it's currently for sale for 8k,you can find it in the ford sale section as I type this..also go to my YouTube account "SIC9250" for some good vids of that car..my buddy Broke32v on YouTube has the track vids also on his channel..tempting to sell my vert for this car but ah well I dig my vert more and I already owned it ha

[ 2014-05-03, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Man yeah I did all check before I want ed to make sure nothin else got hurt.. got off lucky then car was repaired and s no problem drove it today and seems fine thanks for help

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com