Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3g upgrade (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3g upgrade
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Finally did the upgrade to my 89. So i have a few questions to anyone who has done it and succeeded.

1. Do i really need to add a fuse between the alternator and silenoid?

2. Did i need to also hook up the 2 black and orange wires to the positive post on the alternator?

Thanks for any help

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea you need a fuse or circuit breaker. i used a 140amp circuit breaker.

dont use the black/orange wire unless you upgrade all your grounds, that still can be an fire starter that because it cant handle all the amp from the alternator. some people got away with using it, some didnt but it is recommended to up grade your ground wires if you using those wires. i skipped that electric taped it until i upgrade all the ground.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks i appreciate it. Ill work on that today. Will a 100 amp circuit breaker work ok?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your alternator is 130amp you might want play safe and stick with a 130amp and up circuit breaker or fuse.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just because an ALT is 130A Does not mean it will put out anywhere near that. Normally it will never reach half it's output at best. We use the stock wiring in most cases with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Remember the alt only supplies the current your car requires and normally the battery recovers rather quickly after the initial start. In order for the alt to put out 100% charge rate it has to spin at Max RPM Normally 16,000 RPM and have a very heavy load. Adding a heavy feed wire is always good but most people go overboard on it. A Number 8 or 6 AWG is fine for just about any car on the road today. And as far as grounding the case of the alt is your ground on the system. And always use a fuse breaker or link if you install a new feed wire.(we normally dont do this because it is not necessary in most cases). Normally a protector somewhere around 100A max is what we use. having to big a protector can cause more troubles. If you have the alt i am thinking about it has 2 heavy feed wires on a heavy plug. If you parallel them they are plenty big enough for your instillation. The fire hazard on those old non lug alternators were the plug arrangement not the wiring.

[ 2014-04-24, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use a 175amp fuse out of an expedition.works great.find one at pic n pull for almost nothing.get the plastic holder too.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

[patriot]

I was just curious because i know a couple guys that dont have any kind of fuse and theyve been fine without one for years.

Heres a pic of my circuit breaker...
 -

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a few people that upgraded the alternators and didn't add the fuse breaker and haven't had any issues

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Yeah same here. Well i put on a 100 amp circuit breaker. Not a cheap one either cause i know some go for like $10. This one i got from work and they go for $60. So its better than nothing i guess

Also whats the average voltage i should have now? Cause with a/c full blast amd radio and lights my battery readys 12.7 at idle. And then like 13.9 when i go

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

same spot i have mines, but i have my stock air box still.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12.7 is low. What is the voltage at 1200 RPM'S ??? It is important to have a fuse breaker or link somewhere in the system to protect the car from fire in case one of the diodes in the alt shorts out. But i would not go higher than 100A That is sufficient in my opinion and experience!!

[ 2014-04-24, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i didnt have a fuse or breaker in a old school that i did this too, and my chevy alt conversion took a dump and put out some crazy 24 volts or close and fried everything electrical in the car, so,,,,,,,,,,,,, i run them every time now lol
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
12.7 is low. What is the voltage at 1200 RPM'S ??? It is important to have a fuse breaker or link somewhere in the system to protect the car from fire in case one of the diodes in the alt shorts out. But i would not go higher than 100A That is sufficient in my opinion and experience!!

At 1200 rpm it rises to about 13.8. But a complete stand still with lights and radio and a/c blowing its about high 12s. And yeah i figured that about the 100amp breaker thats why i went with it. I had the alternator tested and it passed quick. So i think i might just swap out alternator just in case

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u have power pulleys or u know after market pulleys at a idle this will happen, i normally go to a smaller alt pulley to speed up the alt rotation speed, so it will charge at a lower rpm.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

You see people change alternators expecting they will charge like crazy. But most alternators even when upgraded too bigger units still have to spin faster to work at idle. There is not that much difference when an engine idles unless you change the pulley ratios. By the way if memory serves me the 3G is DELTA wound. Normally i use a GM alternator to have a much better charging system. Gm normally charges on the higher side and in my view a much better ALT.

NOTE if you go to small a pulley on the alt to speed it up you can have issues with over speeding the alt and that is an issue that can get ugly in some cases. Measure your pulleys and do the math. Rule of thumb ALT speed should be 2.5-3 times faster than engine RPM (GAS ENGINES. Diesel Engines run more ratio app 4-1 for obvious reasons)!!! Hope this helps!

[ 2014-04-25, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

I too have read if u use a smaller pulley it can cause problems. Well te pulley on alt and stock pulley are basically same size. Is there a way it can be anything else? Cause as soon as i tap the accelerator all the lights bright up quick and the volts jump up

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 200amp alt., will provide you will all you need.
Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shouldnt the fuse block be near the battery?
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ive read that near the alt is better. Cause if the alt fails itll pop breaker

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

The protector is placed at the furthest point away from the alt. It is not there to protect the alt it there to protect the wire. It has to be near the battery or at the end of the heavy wire closest to the source of power. Another words the battery. Now just for the record and do not take this wrong!! Ford alternators SUCK BIG TIME. A chevy alternator is the way to go. They always charge at idle and they put out more than enough power to run your car. As far as those so called 200A alternators they do put out more power but no where near 200A. Once again they would have to be spun at MAX RPM and even at that they will not put out 200 AMPS. Once again as i posted up dating to a bigger alt especially a ford one is very disappointing at best. Remember most alternators will normally charge at approximately the same power. Just a fact. The chevy ALT is wired Y where as the Ford units are delta. You should never have a voltage flare up from off idle to lets say 1200 RPM.Only if you are having a very high load and the alt can not keep up. Once again the alt you are using is a good one one of the best ford has for this application but it is no where near as good as a gm unit!!

[ 2014-04-25, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
The protector is placed at the furthest point away from the alt. It is not there to protect the alt it there to protect the wire. It has to be near the battery or at the end of the heavy wire closest to the source of power. Another words the battery. Now just for the record and do not take this wrong!! Ford alternators SUCK BIG TIME. A chevy alternator is the way to go. They always charge at idle and they put out more than enough power to run your car. As far as those so called 200A alternators they do put out more power but no where near 200A. Once again they would have to be spun at MAX RPM and even at that they will not put out 200 AMPS. Once again as i posted up dating to a bigger alt especially a ford one is very disappointing at best. Remember most alternators will normally charge at approximately the same power. Just a fact. The chevy ALT is wired Y where as the Ford units are delta. You should never have a voltage flare up from off idle to lets say 1200 RPM.Only if you are having a very high load and the alt can not keep up. Once again the alt you are using is a good one one of the best ford has for this application but it is no where near as good as a gm unit!!

What alt you recommend? I can still return this one. Thanks. And ill b switchin fuse toward battery side [patriot]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

You need a GM 140A with 180* ears that can mount in your ford. Take the old alt with you to come up with a match. The pulley can be transferred to the new alt.But first check out the pulley ratio. It just might be a ratio issue. Better to check and maybe you can use what you have . Good luck!!

[ 2014-04-25, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
You need a GM 140A with 180* ears that can mount in your ford. Take the old alt with you to come up with a match. The pulley can be transferred to the new alt.But first check out the pulley ratio. It just might be a ratio issue. Better to check and maybe you can use what you have . Good luck!!

Any idea what gm vehicle would have this alt? Thanks again i appreciate it

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Let me look around the shop i think i have an old one with a part number. Hang tight!!

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Let me look around the shop i think i have an old one with a part number. Hang tight!!

Thank you

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com