Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 98 cobra overheats

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 98 cobra overheats
86hatch
¯
Member # 11615

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86hatch  Ford pictures for 86hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I drive my cobra on the street it seems to overheat but when I'm on the freeway the temp reads fine would it be my electric fans going out? Or the thermostat.and yes ca fords I do have antifreeze filled in the radiator.lol
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you popped the hood when it's "overheating" to see if the fan is running?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a very common problem with those era mustangs is he ccrm going out.. its a small box located in the rf wheel well. houses all the non servicable relays. they are pricey if thats what it is but a cheeper way around it is to cut and isolate the circut out of the box and wire in a replaceable relay found at napa. last time i did that parts price was around 30 bucks i think. there are two speeds to the fan. high an low. u need to see which of those is not working first. low comes on at 210 degrees i think and high is 225 or 220 or so.. something along those lines.
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also, have you burped the system?

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the plug that plugs in the fan... UNPLUG IT, shine a light in where the prongs are on both sides and see if everything is all good. The ground wire may have melted the wiring plug, easy pick and pull fix. I did it on my 98 cobra about 5 months ago

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com