Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3.73 vs 3.90 vs 4.10

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3.73 vs 3.90 vs 4.10
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm torn between witch gears to pick up for my 89lx, I have light mods( bbk cold air, full exaust, ac/heater delete kit, bbk under drive pullies) an am not sure witch route to go. I drive my car everyday to an from work about 50miles but also have another car to drive to an from work so not totally concerned abt gas. An after I install gears how do I calibrate the speedo?

--------------------
66 mustang v6 converted to 351w(sold)
89 mustang lx(sold)
88 mustang gt(current DD)

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally I like 3.73 ..and a new speedo gear is 10$ on 50resto.com

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well since u DD that id do 3.55 50 miles a day make a shittty mpg even worse if u go more gear than that

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
well since u DD that id do 3.55 50 miles a day make a shittty mpg even worse if u go more gear than that

3.55-3.73 is only a difference of 100 rpm or so on the freeway.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you want to do with the car? I would go 3.73 or 3.55. If you are going to drag race, then 3.73's. When I was stock and on street tires, my 3.55's gave me the same ET as my 3.08's. First spun more and I had to hit 4th too close the finish line. With the 3.08's I could hold 3rd. The 3.55's feel great on the street though. I would not want a lower 1st gear on the street, but 3.73's would work better at the track with that power level. If you are under 110mph in the 1/4, then 3.90's would be ideal for the track, but 1st would spin like crazy on the street and be pretty useless. If you have a world class T-5 or TKO 600 with the tall 1st gear, then the 3.90's would be okay. If you are sticking with the stock ratio T-5 or TKO 500 or Tremec 3550, and drive a lot on the street, then I would go with 3.73's. That way you can use more of 4th at the track than I did with the 3.55's and that power level.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like my 3.73's I daily with them..... Who gets into this game and worries about MPG??

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had 355's and 410's on my 86,

The 355's were definitely much better to drive around town and on the freeway on. 410's were obviously better for the track but for street driving it was a lot of shifting and the freeway mileage suffered. Personally I think it really is personal preference.

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok thanks for all the input guys, right now I'm leaking towards 3.08 chp gears or 3.73s ither way I'll be happy to see the change! Thanks again!

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go 373 bro ull be happy 373 FtW!!!

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

91blackonblack
¯
Member # 11591

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackonblack  Ford pictures for 91blackonblack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55's for the win.i love them on street an freeway.i had 3.73's a hell of a ruff feeling on the freeway.but 3.55"s ftw u cannot go wrong with them because there street an freeway an racing.all in one [patriot]

[ August 02, 2012, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: 91blackonblack ]

--------------------
91blackonblack is banned from this website for good. Vallejo ghetto drama does not belong on CAFords! Y'all need to find a different website. PLEASE! GTFO and take your ghetto shit with you.

ps- ENGLISH DOES MATTER. How foolish of CAFords, we wrote this on our registration page http://oi49.tinypic.com/2akjm7k.jpg but now realize it's useless because the intended audience CAN'T READ, TYPE OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!

His response:

"I just want to say i need some very important info.an the onl way was through a friend to help me find that info.but you guys are some fucking bitches that hide behind ur fucking computer all damn day.you fucking bastards racist piece of shyt.exspecally with that nazi symbol you guys think is koo.fuck you i hope i fuck ur sisters or wife.punk bitches.you guys are fucking haters.an i hope ur fucking website crashes to.god has the last word.an u guys let that piece of shyt 396 get away with murder.an letting everybody get banned because of his shyt talking.i hope he gets his to from somebody.one day he going to say the wrong thing to somebody.fuck u bitches.you mark ass.bye punks"

At least he's consistent with his views!

-----------------------------

91 ssp 306,h.c.i. +v2 blower,suspension
Duncan motorsFTMFTW/F.O.D. FTMFTW
Mr.Quandoe" swang shyt click"

Posts: 1608 | From: the blower yo bitch | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's for a N/A mustang
dont fear the gear!

Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:
4.10's for a N/A mustang
dont fear the gear!

+1

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
410 on a 5.0 N/A is amazing!!!
do it

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much RPM increase will i get going from 3.54 to 3.73?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73 on a 5.0 if you daily drive it that much. It won't be that bad on the freeway and you will still feel it at the track. 4.10s if you don't care and want to feel some pull. I personally would never go less then 4.10s

[ August 07, 2012, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: KCmustangboy ]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
How much RPM increase will i get going from 3.54 to 3.73?

depends on tire size and what gear ratio in the trans, but you could bet on 200-300rpm

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spent about 15 minutes looking for my old gear chart from 2010 and here she goes.

3.27 good for noobs that are not interested in performance. Or have turbo.

3.55 good for girls mustangs. Also good for skiddish men that lack testosterone. If u have a stock 50 engine maybe these are good for you.*

* opinion on these gears will soon change to " man I wish I went with 3.73 instead.

3.73 great if u make power under 5400 rpm. All around gear great for someone who thinks that 4.10 is the monster under the bed.

4.10+ now this means business. If u are not afraid to go balls to the wall step right up. Freeway runs will not matter if u leave the next looser by 3 cars on the third honk.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
less is more... people in this thread make me laugh.. 327 big balls...355 bigger balls... 373 even bigger hahaha
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in my opinion go 4.10 or just leave it stock, doing less gear loses you performance and NOTHING else

MPG is not even affected, its how you drive it

every one of my 5.0's got 21-24 MPG if i drove it cool whether they had 2.73 or 4.10

each bump in gearset will run you about 250 rpms higher then the one below it in any given gear. thats a rough number, but your looking at 1000 rpms higher total in any given gear if you swap from 2.73 to 4.10

here are some facts, to dispell some of the retarded rumors you may have heard...mostly from people who used 3.55 and want you to waste your money too cuz they feel bad about themselves

1) you will NOT have to shift into 5th in a 1/4 mile with 4.10's

2) you will NOT tach 4k doing 60 you tach about 3000 doing 70-75

3) you will NOT get 10 mpg, well you will,,,,cuz you'll be in it all the time. but if you drive cool you'll do 21 mpg

4) a stock 3.73 car CANNOT lift a tire on slicks, but a stock 4.10 car WILL lift about 6" (that alone should sway you)

so although the gearing is close...4.10 is optimal for a NA car looking to squeeze every tenth it can

its not worth bumping a single gearset, so make sure you do it right the first time

correcting the speedo is either easy , complicated, or impossible

your '89 if it is a 5 speed is easy, if its an AOD...its , for practical measures...impossible

correcting the speedo "PROPERLY" means using the correct driven gear with your current drive gear

an AOD is an 8 tooth drive gear and can only be corrected to 3.55's with a 23t driven gear which is incorrect as that white 23t gear is from a jeep, and has the wrong pitch for either T5 or AOD...but its worse for AOD

so technically an AOD can only be corrected to 3.27s with the purple 21t

T5's are 7t for the older ones and 8t for the newer

an '89 is a 7t

the biggest diff with a AOD V T5 is that the drive gear is a ring gear just c-clipped on the output shaft on a T5 and requires disassembly to do it...but an AOD has the drive gear machined into the output shaft. i cant even tell you if an output shaft was ever made that is a 6t or 7t

anyways..... the best thing you can do if your T5 is ever apart is put a black 6t drive gear, then you can correct to 4.10's with a black 20t

but you can...correct an '89 trans with a non ford 23t and it will work. if you drive alot of miles...you will chew it up tho, so be prepared for that. or just use the red 21t and be about 7% in error but not chew it up

thats my 2 cents, im on my 6th stang and i will NEVER use anything but 4.10

*** and before someone says "i used 3.55 and it was way better than stock" ***

well of course it was.....and if a starving ethiopian found a rotten big mac he'd eat it and love it, but it doesnt make it delicious. it just makes it "better than starving"

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rayski25:
3.08 chp gears

um...what ?

hey i can sell you one of those "ultra rare" world class t5's if you want.... waaaaay better than the t5 you have already

ok sorry...how did you go from

"i wanna bump up to something good"

to...

" i wanna swap out for the same gears i already have "

check your door tag...do you even know what gears are in it now?

"ax" code

m=2.73
z=3.08
e=3.27

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
If you have a world class T-5

AHHHHHHH !!! i get to triple post, but I HAVE TO !!!!!!

ok so i was joking about the whole "i'll sell you a world class thing"...... cuz i had to assume that 20 years after they didnt even sell this trans anymore people knew the scoop, and i was trying to make a point about the so called "CHP 3.08 gears"

but i'll give you a hint....
1) he said '89 mustang
2) he said 5.0

so yeah....pretty much i can deduce that he has a world class T5

im not busting your ballz.....dont get me wrong

i just thought those days were long gone, but you gave me a laugh

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dam im sold who wants to buy my 3.55 lol i dont want to be starving?!?

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Holy mother of gawd! That was the best read of my life!!! Ima go with the 4:10s dude is one hell of a sales man! Thanks everyone for the input I appreciate the help

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
in my opinion go 4.10 or just leave it stock, doing less gear loses you performance and NOTHING else

MPG is not even affected, its how you drive it

every one of my 5.0's got 21-24 MPG if i drove it cool whether they had 2.73 or 4.10

each bump in gearset will run you about 250 rpms higher then the one below it in any given gear. thats a rough number, but your looking at 1000 rpms higher total in any given gear if you swap from 2.73 to 4.10

here are some facts, to dispell some of the retarded rumors you may have heard...mostly from people who used 3.55 and want you to waste your money too cuz they feel bad about themselves

1) you will NOT have to shift into 5th in a 1/4 mile with 4.10's

2) you will NOT tach 4k doing 60 you tach about 3000 doing 70-75

3) you will NOT get 10 mpg, well you will,,,,cuz you'll be in it all the time. but if you drive cool you'll do 21 mpg

4) a stock 3.73 car CANNOT lift a tire on slicks, but a stock 4.10 car WILL lift about 6" (that alone should sway you)

so although the gearing is close...4.10 is optimal for a NA car looking to squeeze every tenth it can

its not worth bumping a single gearset, so make sure you do it right the first time

correcting the speedo is either easy , complicated, or impossible

your '89 if it is a 5 speed is easy, if its an AOD...its , for practical measures...impossible

correcting the speedo "PROPERLY" means using the correct driven gear with your current drive gear

an AOD is an 8 tooth drive gear and can only be corrected to 3.55's with a 23t driven gear which is incorrect as that white 23t gear is from a jeep, and has the wrong pitch for either T5 or AOD...but its worse for AOD

so technically an AOD can only be corrected to 3.27s with the purple 21t

T5's are 7t for the older ones and 8t for the newer

an '89 is a 7t

the biggest diff with a AOD V T5 is that the drive gear is a ring gear just c-clipped on the output shaft on a T5 and requires disassembly to do it...but an AOD has the drive gear machined into the output shaft. i cant even tell you if an output shaft was ever made that is a 6t or 7t

anyways..... the best thing you can do if your T5 is ever apart is put a black 6t drive gear, then you can correct to 4.10's with a black 20t

but you can...correct an '89 trans with a non ford 23t and it will work. if you drive alot of miles...you will chew it up tho, so be prepared for that. or just use the red 21t and be about 7% in error but not chew it up

thats my 2 cents, im on my 6th stang and i will NEVER use anything but 4.10

*** and before someone says "i used 3.55 and it was way better than stock" ***

well of course it was.....and if a starving ethiopian found a rotten big mac he'd eat it and love it, but it doesnt make it delicious. it just makes it "better than starving"

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rayski25:
3.08 chp gears

um...what ?

hey i can sell you one of those "ultra rare" world class t5's if you want.... waaaaay better than the t5 you have already

ok sorry...how did you go from

"i wanna bump up to something good"

to...

" i wanna swap out for the same gears i already have "

check your door tag...do you even know what gears are in it now?

"ax" code

m=2.73
z=3.08
e=3.27

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
If you have a world class T-5

AHHHHHHH !!! i get to triple post, but I HAVE TO !!!!!!

ok so i was joking about the whole "i'll sell you a world class thing"...... cuz i had to assume that 20 years after they didnt even sell this trans anymore people knew the scoop, and i was trying to make a point about the so called "CHP 3.08 gears"

but i'll give you a hint....
1) he said '89 mustang
2) he said 5.0

so yeah....pretty much i can deduce that he has a world class T5

im not busting your ballz.....dont get me wrong

i just thought those days were long gone, but you gave me a laugh

shit Im speechless, almost
that was the excellent, lets see, you busted out the people who were just writing somethin they heard from someone who told someone else that told them, gave real fact, and very precise info,
, and the little starving metaphor was the nail in the coffin, had me dyin! right then good show id like tickets to the next
[worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
390's or 410's wouldnt go any lower

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com