Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Registering a car no longer in DMV system?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Registering a car no longer in DMV system?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone had any experience registering a car that was no longer in the dmv system? If so, what is involved and how much does it cost to get it back on the road? It's an 80's vehicle so I assume it will need to be smogged as well? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks [patriot]

[ 2015-07-07, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Syde,

I went through this with my 67 Mustang. It hadn't been registered in 10 years. You need to fill out an official statement of facts sheet explaining as to why it has been off the road for such a long time.

MY previous owner was a Davis police officer that kept it locked up in a storage for 10 years. So with a confirmed business name, address and storage number, it was pretty much no brainer for them to wave the thousands of dollars and let me walk out with current registration for a measly ~$80 dollars.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

- Sinister Mustang

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You also need a vin verification and yes a smog. I had to take my 69 cougar to dmv last year because it was out since 1992. The statement of facts too. You might get lucky and get away with something depending on where you got. The dmv b y house doesnt really give a shit so its simple for me here.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies guys! So were your guys' cars completely out of the system or were they just not register in several years? The reason I ask is because the owner of the car said he called DMV and his car is no longer in the system, as in no records appear at all. He said they told him nothing would be needed other than proof of ownership (ie: signed pink slip) and to pay a re-registration fee. He's the original owner so it's all legit, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to end up paying hundreds or thousands just to get it back on the road.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Youre good. If he has a pink you shouldnt have a problem it wont cost you much either. I still think it needs a vin verification though. Id take the car there if i were you.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope it runs if not the won't verify the vin.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Yea they will. My cougar didnt run and didnt have brakes. Trailered the bitch there anf they gave me my paper no problems

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard once it's out of the system and you go to register it a salvage car will no longer be salvage. Any truth to this ?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
I've heard once it's out of the system and you go to register it a salvage car will no longer be salvage. Any truth to this ?

lolol

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you get now?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com