Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Which truck would you buy?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which truck would you buy?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking at picking up a used truck to serve as my daily driver. It will need to tow occasionally (maybe 6 times a year). I'm mainly looking for reliability and low maintenance requirements.

Truck 1: 1991 F150, 4.9 I6, 5spd with 110k miles.

Truck 2: 1993 F250, 7.3 IDI non-turbo, 5spd with 135k miles.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Diesel. If you have to tow or haul just one time, its worth it. The non-turbo Fords are not speed demons, but are unfazed under load
Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Truck 2

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say truck 1 since i have heard nothing but good things about inline6. Plus my dad use to have one and that thing was a nice to drive.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've driven the non-turbo 7.3 trucks and even with a manual I think I would look for a inviting looking ditch to stuff myself into to end it all if that was my daily driver.

the 5-speed 300ci 6cyl trucks however, are pretty good, but the m5od light duty trans is kinda junk.

I'd open up my search a bit and wait for an extended cab `94-`96 5.8 truck personally if that gen truck is what you want.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Diesel and I personally love the look of that generation of Ford trucks.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ram Ecodiesal.. Or aluminum body f150

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IDI's are junk powerstrokes ftw..don't waste your money

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I've driven the non-turbo 7.3 trucks and even with a manual I think I would look for a inviting looking ditch to stuff myself into to end it all if that was my daily driver.

the 5-speed 300ci 6cyl trucks however, are pretty good, but the m5od light duty trans is kinda junk.

I'd open up my search a bit and wait for an extended cab `94-`96 5.8 truck personally if that gen truck is what you want.

Gotta be a manual trans. My wife is not the best driver and I don't want her driving my truck. AFAIK, the 5.8 only came with an E4OD. [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by VENOMUS PONY 5.0:
Ram Ecodiesal.. Or aluminum body f150

Show me where I can buy one for $5k and no payments. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my list.

[ 2015-06-04, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the 4.9l there a work horse an an if the engine goes south on you there pretty cheap because ford put that engine in tons trucks and van's.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ 2015-06-04, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: losbadgts ]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about a 89 to 93 dodge D250? I used to have one and it was a great truck i let it go for 2800 a few months back. Sure you could find another 2wd one for cheap with bad paint. The 12v cummins is pretty reliable except for the whole killer dowel pin in the timing cover but mine had 170k+ without the fix and no problem.

I also daily drove it and got around 20+ mpg on the street thanks to the 4.11 gears [Smile]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
What about a 89 to 93 dodge D250? I used to have one and it was a great truck i let it go for 2800 a few months back. Sure you could find another 2wd one for cheap with bad paint. The 12v cummins is pretty reliable except for the whole killer dowel pin in the timing cover but mine had 170k+ without the fix and no problem.

I also daily drove it and got around 20+ mpg on the street thanks to the 4.11 gears [Smile]

Yeah, I tried to find a good D250. Either they're all automatics or they're $7k+. I guess they're pricey because everyone wants them a 12v. I'm really trying to keep to my $5k budget. I've got so many projects that need finishing and that extra money would go a long way.

--------------------

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Go with the 4.9l there a work horse an an if the engine goes south on you there pretty cheap because ford put that engine in tons trucks and van's.

I agree, My uncle has a mobile auto repair business and uses his 93 F-150 I6 to tow a trailer full of his equipment (compressor,large tool box, parts etc.) sometimes with a full bed hauling engines and/or transmissions etc. with zero issues and over 300k miles on the odometer.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or option 3. 95-97 power stroke

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95gtdrop:
Or option 3. 95-97 power stroke

2nd gen cummins

[ 2015-06-07, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: flores24v ]

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Well, change of plans. Both of the trucks I wanted sold before I could look at them. Everything else on the list did the same. Looks like I'm upping my budget to $10k to get a better shot at snagging something.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com