Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Smog Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog Question
PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To sell a used car am I required to smog it first? Im selling my 89 and i took the stock h pipe off. I was just going to include it in the sale.

--------------------
2013 GT500 Deep Impact Blue # 2878
2013 5.0 with TrackPack - Sold
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3
1989 5.0 LX Convertible - Sold

Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This topic has been debated many times. I think technically you are required to smog it as the seller (per ca law) but if you disclose that you are selling "as is" "buyer smog" and the buyer fully understands the terms, you will be fine. I have never smogged a vehicle that I have sold and never had any issues. Just make sure you write that on the bill of sale and get the buyers signature. BUT...Smogging the car will greatly help your selling point. It is piece of mind for both you and the buyer.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
This topic has been debated many times. I think technically you are required to smog it as the seller (per ca law) but if you disclose that you are selling "as is" "buyer smog" and the buyer fully understands the terms, you will be fine. I have never smogged a vehicle that I have sold and never had any issues. Just make sure you write that on the bill of sale and get the buyers signature. BUT...Smogging the car will greatly help your selling point. It is piece of mind for both you and the buyer.

seller has to have a current smog inspection period. There is no loop hole to be had on it.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

seller has to have a current smog inspection period. There is no loop hole to be had on it.
By current, do you mean his tags are up to date and the car is legal to drive on the street? Or current as in he needs to have a recent smog cert in his hand for the purpose of selling?

--------------------
ET's to come

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
by law in CA you have to smog your car before selling it. By current mean recently smogged. I think smog cert are good for 30 or 60 days. Also the cert is only good for one sell.

We all have sold cars without smog cert, but if the buyer changes his mind, your "AS IS", doesn't mean anything.

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

OP- if you know for a fact the car will pass, I would smog it to avoid any future problems.

--------------------
ET's to come

PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the guy is really serious about buying it i will reinstall the stock h and 4 cats. Smog it then list the off road h pipe on calfords for sale.

--------------------
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Z06-FTMFW:
by law in CA you have to smog your car before selling it. By current mean recently smogged. I think smog cert are good for 30 or 60 days. Also the cert is only good for one sell.

We all have sold cars without smog cert, but if the buyer changes his mind, your "AS IS", doesn't mean anything.

90 days

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy415:
If the guy is really serious about buying it i will reinstall the stock h and 4 cats. Smog it then list the off road h pipe on calfords for sale.

I might be interested in the H-pipe

--------------------
ET's to come

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look just sell it as is bottom line, if the buyer changes his mind and makes threats this will work in your favor cuz i know we all write a way lower bill of sale when selling so if the person wants to fuck around proudly give him his $500 back that was written on the bill of sale and get ur car back
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put the car on non-op before you sell it.

I bought my 89 gt on non-op as a non running car and was able to get the title in my name and the reg transferred - still on non-op - into my name for a $15 fee at the DMV.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Z06-FTMFW:

+1 even if you put "buyer smog" in the bill of sale and both parties sign and agree. The buyer could still come back and get you. I think the only around it is if the car is non-opped and sold as is.

--------------------
Jesus is king!

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
look just sell it as is bottom line, if the buyer changes his mind and makes threats this will work in your favor cuz i know we all write a way lower bill of sale when selling so if the person wants to fuck around proudly give him his $500 back that was written on the bill of sale and get ur car back

The buyer can take you to court an make pay for all needed smog repairs.

An a smog is good for 90 days.

Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is my take on this. If you want good money and sell fast just smog before sale. It saves you a lot of troubles. The only time i kinda dont like to do the smog thing is when i sell a car super cheap. In which i tell people if u want me to smog then agree to buy the car full price. But by CA laws u have to smog before sale

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
This is my take on this. If you want good money and sell fast just smog before sale. It saves you a lot of troubles. The only time i kinda dont like to do the smog thing is when i sell a car super cheap. In which i tell people if u want me to smog then agree to buy the car full price. But by CA laws u have to smog before sale

Youre right ....im going to smog it first...,good thing the headers have a carb number so I should be good on those

--------------------
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy415:

I might be interested in the H-pipe
for what??? lol

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com